LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCPowercat wrote:
QueSi2Opie wrote:
DeadManWalking wrote:You know what fuck it, I will conform so as not to upset you with differing opinions

THE LIBERTY MEMORIAL IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!!!!!!!
:lol: Why would you give in to a debate? Everyone is argueing their opinions...there is no RIGHT or WRONG answers/beliefs.
Exactly....just because people differ on opinions doesn't mean you give in....stick to your guns....I personally think you are wrong but I respect you going against the grain...even though I think your motives are just for spite.

PA....visited many, lived in few....talking to residents of other cities and this city is how I come up with that opinion.
Why give in? Well boredom for one. I tire of everyone criticizing my opinions, it gets old fast. Soon they start to suggest you are hateful, childish, spiteful, and just plain stupid so that they feel better about themselves.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DmW.....sorry we bore you. We're not going to let you get away with calling the memorial boring. I do think you make some of your comments just in spite...maybe I'm wrong, happened before. Maybe if you would give us some reasoning as to some of your opinions, we'd take you more at your word. I'd love to see your opinions if the 2 monuments were to change cities.....if the only WW1 monument in the US were in KCK, I believe you'd defend it to the death even if it were only a 10' tall matchstick.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCPowercat wrote:DmW.....sorry we bore you. We're not going to let you get away with calling the memorial boring. I do think you make some of your comments just in spite...maybe I'm wrong, happened before. Maybe if you would give us some reasoning as to some of your opinions, we'd take you more at your word. I'd love to see your opinions if the 2 monuments were to change cities.....if the only WW1 monument in the US were in KCK, I believe you'd defend it to the death even if it were only a 10' tall matchstick.
Hardly, you should know by now I am the biggest critic of Kansas City, KS, but don't expect me to not speak my mind. I think Royals Stadium is nice and we don't need a downtown stadium. I don't like some of the Spanish influenced architecture at the plaza, I believe World's of Fun is mediocre when it comes to theme parks. I think Kansas City's City Hall, although tall, is rather bland looking.

Want me to critic KCK too? KCK's City Hall is an extremely ugly slab. KCK's riverfront, aside from the Kaw Point Park, is the ugliest, nastiest, dirtiest riverfront I have ever seen. As a whole KCK is boring, bland, and tasteless. Memorial Hall is a blatant rip off of similar halls throughout the country and I yawn at its unoriginality.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
fourteen_14
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by fourteen_14 »

KCDevin wrote:Image
Tell these guys that you don't like the only official WWI memorial in the world dedicated to them...

I agree. The great warriors of our past who gave their very blood so we can live today deserve a memorial.

I had heard similar comments about the vietnam memmorial in downtown kansas city when it was being constructed and that made me very ill.

I was also sickened when it was vandalized BOTH times...

Dude, I know your joking but some people are very patriotic.

How would you feel if a relative of yours was killed in iraq and when the memorial was erected and it will be, someone said the similar comments you have made ? I bet you would feel very very bad. Im not coming down on you at all and I am certainly not a veteran but live and work with many many people who are.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Memorial

Post by macnw »

I visited the Liberty Memorial when I returned to KC. I though it looked a lot better than what I remember. I believe the memorial should be treated as such. I think the area should be patrolled to prohibit illegal activities. The park should be an open space where all midtown residents can go and enjoy the outdoors, along with a unique history. I think when the Feds(IRS and Fed Resv) take up residence around the memorial, things will change dramatically. They should allow concerts on the north lawn. What a view of US. Have to have crowd control though.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Memorial

Post by staubio »

macnw wrote:I visited the Liberty Memorial when I returned to KC. I though it looked a lot better than what I remember. I believe the memorial should be treated as such. I think the area should be patrolled to prohibit illegal activities. The park should be an open space where all midtown residents can go and enjoy the outdoors, along with a unique history. I think when the Feds(IRS and Fed Resv) take up residence around the memorial, things will change dramatically. They should allow concerts on the north lawn. What a view of US. Have to have crowd control though.
They recently had a concert on the north lawn, actually.

Bummer about the memorial is that the grounds close insanely early. If you are there after 9 or 10 (can't remember which) a Union Station security guard will come shoo you away. Bummer that they are so afraid of illegal activity that they just force everyone out.

It is cool that they are opening up the tower on First Friday, though.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

those pictures rock.

They are opening up the memorial on some saturday nights until 10pm as well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

wow that last picture is awesome
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How can anybody look at those photos and have issues with the Liberty Memorial? KC needs to embrace the memorial and be proud of it and it's history.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

liberty memorial

Post by moderne »

Several years ago I took an art deco tour guided by a prominent local architect (one of the designers of KC Place). He stated that the Liberty Memorial is the largest art deco monument in the world. The side museum buildings are influenced by monumental egyptian temple pylons. There are refinements in the design that are similar to the Parthenon in Athens. The great frieze wall on the north is actually higher in the middle than on the ends to avoid a visual effect of sagging in the middle. The tower itself is tapered so that if were to continue a mile high it would terminate in a point. The south roadway had a concave curve as it approached the deck. Unfortunately this was abliterated to create the new entrance to the subterranean museum being installed