500 foot mixed use tower considered for downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: 500 foot mixed use tower considered for downtown

Post by FangKC »

moderne wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:51 pm It must be some sort of trick of the eye. From downtown environs it looks like a lot of room for planes, but taking off or landing from the south feels disquieting close to the buildings.
https://twitter.com/ilove_aviation/stat ... C5z2pGQt6Q
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:46 pm Vor getting removed opens up space for developer ment at Wheeler. I’m pro wheeler but not if it prevents downtown growth
What navaid at MKC is taking up a lot of space?, I don't see one. You are correct though that they are removing many ground based navaids, but for the most part, they are keeping them at major airports like MKC as a backup legacy system at least for now.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:26 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:46 pm Vor getting removed opens up space for developer ment at Wheeler. I’m pro wheeler but not if it prevents downtown growth
What navaid at MKC is taking up a lot of space?, I don't see one. You are correct though that they are removing many ground based navaids, but for the most part, they are keeping them at major airports like MKC as a backup legacy system at least for now.
Can’t find the document with the layout of the new buildings but the summary iirc is or was FAA nav stuff where the red is. The green area to be redeveloped for other purposes (hangers etc).

The site plans existing somewhere online and I saw them in the last few weeks but it’s not coming to me what site

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I saw that but it does not appear to be in use at all, so I was not sure if that was what you were talking about. So yeah, I'm sure it's schedule to be removed which would allow for a significant rebuild there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The downtown airport is one of downtowns largest amenities. Idiotic to even hinting at losing it for a building location.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:57 pm The downtown airport is one of downtowns largest amenities. Idiotic to even hinting at losing it for a building location.
I don't think anyone here was talking about building over it?
Airport is redeveloping itself by adding more hangers and other aviation uses where today there is green space, etc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I must have misread someone saying they+l would be okay losing the airport if we couldn't build this 500 footer in this specific location because of FAA rules .
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Three more applications made to the FAA on October 25th for this site.
Building West Midpoint: 520ft
Building East Midpoint: 505ft
Building Center: 510ft
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 79&row=133
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 71&row=134
https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external/se ... 80&row=135

I bolded the Building Center since that's likely how tall this will end up being - 510ft. This doesn't necessarily mean a project is about to be announced, but it gives us a very vague clue as to what's going on. Since I initially mapped the points out earlier this summer, the project has grown 5ft. Not much, but it is a slight difference
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Great that they are dialing the height in
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Of note: I mapped out the new points and they cut through the original application layout map at a very slight angle. This could be a sign that the tower is pushed back a bit from the north (compared to original applications), and an angled facade helps preserve views of the Performing Arts Center from 16th and Jefferson on the Westside.

If, say, this was a 35 floor office building, square footage would be 1,183,089sf. If this ends up being an office tower, that amount of space makes a ton of sense especially if it's purpose built for a single tenant.

The layout below shows all points mapped. Blue points are the original applications. Green are the new. The blue box is based off of the new applications, which line up perfectly with the points on the southern end of the blue box (all 6 points are practically the same height +/-1ft). The orange box was originally listed as parking. I'm not writing off the rest of the site north of the green points yet, but what the orange and blue boxes make is a much more economical office-parking garage development than going all the way to the northern end of the site. That's especially true at 510ft.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

such a weird place for a 500 foot building. Whatever, bring it on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Why can’t this go at 13th and Grand!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:12 am Why can’t this go at 13th and Grand!
Maybe they don't want to build somewhere the street gets closed whenever a couple of thousand people show up for an event.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't mind the spot. Again, we need this badly for the west skyline views.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:51 am
DColeKC wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:12 am Why can’t this go at 13th and Grand!
Maybe they don't want to build somewhere the street gets closed whenever a couple of thousand people show up for an event.
Good point. I wouldn't want this to interfere with what brings millions of people downtown every year.

I was being facetious and I could honestly care less where it goes. Progress is progress.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I agree that a project of this size would add more to the center of the business district than the edge. The only reason I would hesitate to put it more in the center is if it ends up having a humongous parking garage that would create dead blocks at street level.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

It would be cool if the tower crescendos to its peak from south to north.