Broadway Jimmy John's

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Jimmy John's to open Drive-Thru restaurant at 9th & Broa

Post by shaffe »

Still no words for this abortion of a project. There are so many lines that could be drawn that this will likely piss on it just makes me so mad.

Why must this construction be so obtrusive? Those fucking barriers spill into the one lane of the primary outlet out of downtown for northlanders.
I'm sure this will be some shitty ass suburban design just like KCP posted. Why not at least TRY to integrate it into one of the better existing areas of urban fabric in the city?
Why have any sort of cutout of the sidewalk on Broadway?
Why have TWO cutouts on Broadway? If you have to have a shitty ass drive thru, then at least have the decency to respect traffic flow and dump it out onto the alley/surface lot behind the place.
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by macnw »

Here in Portland, we have six Starbucks located within a half mile of each other, in a busy part of town. Three of the six are located on a major thouroughfare, and occupy two major corners, with drive-thru and parking. It's really disgusting how much space these stores take up. The street in not a boulevard, but the space Starbuck's takes up could be used a whole lot better. I forgot, stores are located on the streetcar line no less. Talk about efficiency.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:This is a franchise, right? Does anybody know who the franchise-owner is?
JJRE of Kansas City. They own the property too.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Keeping it positive is important, too. Negativity may just galvanize them in their current course and cause them to shut out all outside input. Flies...honey...vinegar...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

apparently, city staff is working with them on an urban design. not sure what that means since "urban" is a loaded word.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

There are so many places around downtown that a drive-thru could have worked. Why did they have to tear down a building, along one of downtown's busiest corridors, to put their drive-thru? Wish they would have put a semi-urban drive-thru in the empty lot next to Thistle in River Market. I could see it working there, without disrupting too much.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:There are so many places around downtown that a drive-thru could have worked. Why did they have to tear down a building, along one of downtown's busiest corridors, to put their drive-thru? Wish they would have put a semi-urban drive-thru in the empty lot next to Thistle in River Market. I could see it working there, without disrupting too much.
ironically, they may have to request a parking variance since the parcel was not rezoned to a use that eliminates the minimums. apparently that whole block has legacy zoning.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mgh7676 wrote:There are so many places around downtown that a drive-thru could have worked. Why did they have to tear down a building, along one of downtown's busiest corridors, to put their drive-thru? Wish they would have put a semi-urban drive-thru in the empty lot next to Thistle in River Market. I could see it working there, without disrupting too much.
You answered your own question. it's a drive-thru.

"downtown's busiest corridor" > "empty lot in River Market"

Don't agree with the City's decision to allow it to move forward. But, it's pretty obvious why the decision was made.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KC-wildcat wrote:
You answered your own question. it's a drive-thru.

"downtown's busiest corridor" > "empty lot in River Market"

Don't agree with the City's decision to allow it to move forward. But, it's pretty obvious why the decision was made.
Damn. I guess the only thing we can do is work to get less people downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote:
Don't agree with the City's Parks Department's decision to allow it to move forward. But, it's pretty obvious why the decision was made.
let's place blame appropriately. :)
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

#saveourblvds
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hell I'd take a drive thru in the alley and then fix the zoning going forward.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote: ironically, they may have to request a parking variance since the parcel was not rezoned to a use that eliminates the minimums. apparently that whole block has legacy zoning.
I'm not sure if I have ever heard anything more funny than this. I drive-thru requires parking spots. They better make space for bike parking, too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote: ironically, they may have to request a parking variance since the parcel was not rezoned to a use that eliminates the minimums. apparently that whole block has legacy zoning.
I'm not sure if I have ever heard anything more funny than this. I drive-thru requires parking spots. They better make space for bike parking, too.
didn't midtown recently fight a family dollar for requesting a variance to bike parking?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Hell I'd take a drive thru in the alley and then fix the zoning going forward.
I took that alley recently. horribly skinny. good idea for some alleys, just not this one
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote:
taxi wrote:
didn't midtown recently fight a family dollar for requesting a variance to bike parking?
Yes, and lost. We also lost on the variances for landscaping, parking, and setback.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

And the Topekafication of downtown Kansas City continues!

Lol. I mean, what do you even say about something this idiotic other than it's a complete fucking joke that the historic, urban fabric of our core continues to destroyed by shortsighted and idiotic planning. And nothing is done about it.