The Undramatic Thread Title Thread for St. Louis Development

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: The Undramatic Thread Title Thread for St. Louis Develop

Post by rxlexi »

I think you can count me in as one of those StL City boosters that just can't 100% happily get behind Clayton's crazy momentum. I mean, it's good for the region; StL is definitely centering around DT Clayton/Brentwood area as Warickland noted.

But the region's biggest weak spot, in my opinion, is the still too big, too empty downtown, that is mostly unloved even by residents. It's making nice strides, but there are so many fine urban options to live, work, and play in within the region and even the city that downtown continues to feel like a bit of an afterthought. The stadia are there, but each is a bit of it's own little island. The arch remains amazing and should be StL's most popular park and Saturday run/bike hangout but residents don't really use it - Shaw, Forest and Tower Grove parks have that angle covered. Grand Center/Webster have the culture. CWE has the high-end residential and nightlife. Midtown/loop the students. Cherokee the weird Gonzo-art hipsters.

And Clayton is just killing downtown with specific regard to n/c commercial space. Regions like KC and yes even the Lion of the Valley StL have such scarce resources re: urban development that when I see this stuff go up in Clayton I immediately think of what could-have-been, now won't-be in DT or even CWE. It's like a bitter old man instant reaction.

With all of that rant over, I do completely agree that building up Clayton as a regional hub is words-can't-describe-it, exponentially better than seeing such development dollars headings towards West County, Overland Park, etc.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

rxlexi wrote:I think you can count me in as one of those StL City boosters that just can't 100% happily get behind Clayton's crazy momentum. I mean, it's good for the region; StL is definitely centering around DT Clayton/Brentwood area as Warickland noted.

But the region's biggest weak spot, in my opinion, is the still too big, too empty downtown, that is mostly unloved even by residents. It's making nice strides, but there are so many fine urban options to live, work, and play in within the region and even the city that downtown continues to feel like a bit of an afterthought. The stadia are there, but each is a bit of it's own little island. The arch remains amazing and should be StL's most popular park and Saturday run/bike hangout but residents don't really use it - Shaw, Forest and Tower Grove parks have that angle covered. Grand Center/Webster have the culture. CWE has the high-end residential and nightlife. Midtown/loop the students. Cherokee the weird Gonzo-art hipsters.

And Clayton is just killing downtown with specific regard to n/c commercial space. Regions like KC and yes even the Lion of the Valley StL have such scarce resources re: urban development that when I see this stuff go up in Clayton I immediately think of what could-have-been, now won't-be in DT or even CWE. It's like a bitter old man instant reaction.

With all of that rant over, I do completely agree that building up Clayton as a regional hub is words-can't-describe-it, exponentially better than seeing such development dollars headings towards West County, Overland Park, etc.
for the record i think the region centers around the entire stretch between clayton and DT, like a binary star system almost, for different reasons at different times.

hopefully when this renovation of the archgrounds is done, we will have a nice regional asset and not just a tourist thing.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

addendum: after 3:00 AM the region centers around the crypto-municipality of sauget, illinois and slingers.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

a quick note to those that think Cordish doesn't have a soul; you can get draft Busch at the Budweiser Brew House at Ballpark Village, just like God intended.

I have had trouble in recent years finding draft Busch at Busch Stadium (!!!), but I have to believe it still exists somewhere. If not, for shame, StL.

The Brewhouse is actually quite nice, a very expensive build-out with lots of brick, tile, and woodwork, and a great first come, first served view into the stadium from the narrow second floor patio. I will be back just for "ye olde StL" vibes from the space.

BPV otherwise is okay, will hopefully come into it's own as the surrounding acres of parking are filled in with development a la P&L. As it stands, a one-off bar block, it's sort of hard to compare to the overall P&L development besides the common central canopy area and shared tenants. Certainly it's more isolated from the surrounding city, but I think it will still end up being a hit as it comes together.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

rxlexi wrote:a quick note to those that think Cordish doesn't have a soul; you can get draft Busch at the Budweiser Brew House at Ballpark Village, just like God intended.

I have had trouble in recent years finding draft Busch at Busch Stadium (!!!), but I have to believe it still exists somewhere. If not, for shame, StL.

The Brewhouse is actually quite nice, a very expensive build-out with lots of brick, tile, and woodwork, and a great first come, first served view into the stadium from the narrow second floor patio. I will be back just for "ye olde StL" vibes from the space.

BPV otherwise is okay, will hopefully come into it's own as the surrounding acres of parking are filled in with development a la P&L. As it stands, a one-off bar block, it's sort of hard to compare to the overall P&L development besides the common central canopy area and shared tenants. Certainly it's more isolated from the surrounding city, but I think it will still end up being a hit as it comes together.
Hah, draft Busch. In that vein, the Cats Meow in southern Soulard *may* have draft Busch (it may actually be draft Busch Light), and they most likely have draft Natural Light...

I'll have to check out the brewhouse sometime, sometime that I actually remember the place.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Boeing to open an office in Cortex
Tim Bryant

Ventures, the part of Boeing Co. that develops company businesses outside aerospace, will move its headquarters to the Cortex technology district.

The relocation affects the approximately 20 Ventures employees at Boeing’s operation in Hazelwood. Tim Noonan, vice president of Ventures, told reporters Monday his operation will lease space at the building, named @4240.

Noonan added he is impressed that Dennis Lower, president of Cortex, sees the need to “create an ecosystem that allows ideas to flourish, capital to be attracted, research to be done.”

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... 93999.html

Chesterfield business to relocate to Cortex district in St. Louis
Tim Bryant

AB Mauri, a global yeast producer and bakery ingredients maker, will move its North American office from Chesterfield to the Cortex research district.
Mark Prendergast, president of AB Mauri North America, said Friday that getting a bigger and better facility in a historic building was key in the decision to relocate.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/ ... c371c.html

Ikea store groundbreaking to be this month
Tim Bryant

The property is acquired, the contractor is mobilized and a formal groundbreaking is on tap for Ikea's store in St. Louis.
“We have secured all the property and appropriate easements,” Joseph Roth, an Ikea spokesman, said today.
With the 21-acre store site in hand, contractor S.M. Wilson & Co. is preparing to get underway with construction. Roth says the groundbreaking ceremony will be held sometime late this month.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/column ... aaaa1.html

More apartments coming to Washington Avenue

A Gothic Revival building on Washington Avenue in downtown St. Louis will be renovated as loft apartments and the new home of E+A Architecture.

The firm says it will relocate its office to the building, at 1214 Washington. E+A is situated now on the second floor of the building at 1006 Olive Street.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Couple of small mixed use new construction scenarios in st. louis city..

mixed use bldg for chain restaurant in Soulard:

nextstl.com

interesting mixed use bldg for chain restaurant drive through utilizing facade of demo'd building (which was in bad shape):

nextstl.com
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Classic south city "miracle rehab" scenario:

article from: http://stlnabedev.tumblr.com/
photo source nextstl.com
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

apparent photograph of a rendering of an inner suburban "sub-urban" development near McCutcheon and Eager road (Richmond Heights) scheduled for groundbreaking next year:

http://stlnabedev.tumblr.com/

This is phase one of four, the last phase could include a 12 story building.

http://40southnews.com/new-manhassett-v ... partments/
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Jon Hamm to be honored with bobblehead night at Busch
Joe Holleman

The homegrown star of "Mad Men" and "Million Dollar Arm" is going to be a bona fide bobblehead as part of "Jon Hamm Night" on Aug. 18 at Busch Stadium.
Hamm, the pride of John Burroughs High (Class of '89) and a Mizzou alum, will throw out the ceremonial first pitch prior to the Cards taking on Cincinnati.
In a statement, Hamm said, "I have been a fan of the team since before I can remember and participating in a night like this is simply mind-blowing."
Hamm concluded by saying he hopes the event is "a fantastic night for everyone but the Reds."

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/colu ... 2baed.html
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

http://upload.wikimedia.org

IDEAL FOR PIZZA.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

warwickland wrote:Image
http://upload.wikimedia.org

IDEAL FOR PIZZA.
Also: IDEAL FOR SMALL CAULKING JOBS!
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

The semi infamous(ish) "why isn't there a big building on this dang corner" corner, at Lindell and Kingshighway across from Forest Park...this could be a landmark tower of the kind that I feel should be surrounding a good portion of the park.

Koplar Hires Kohn Pederson Fox (KPF) to Design CWE Landmark Project
Geoff Whittington

Through the construction boom surrounding the 1904 World’s Fair, the 1920s, which saw nearly 20 high-rise buildings constructed, and the addition of buildings along Kingshighway in the 1950s, the corner lot has remained undeveloped. The site is part of a block long gap along with adjacent parking lots to the south, once the site of the Buckingham Hotel.

Commercial real estate developers Sam Koplar and the Koman Group are attending to preconstruction activities regarding the new landmark project. KPF is one of the biggest design firms in the world. They were recently named architect for a $1 billion proposed waterfront development in Boston. However, it was reportedly KPF’s Hudson Yards project in NYC that convinced the project team to chose the architect for the CWE project.

http://nextstl.com/2014/06/koplar-hires-kpf/