Falls at Crackernack Creek update

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Bass Pro will probably go to Indep area, Eastland update...

Post by GRID »

As someone who works in the traffic engineering field, it would be very interesting to see just how they handle what will be essentially adding another Independence Center to the 470/70 area.

Story from Examiner:

"Oh, the traffic you'll see"

With Bass Pro coming to town, Eastland roads under scrutiny

By James Dornbrook
The Examiner
The transportation network in southern Independence will be heavily studied over the next few months, with planning under way for construction of Bass Pro Shops and about 500,000 square feet of additional retail near the intersection of U.S. 40 and Missouri 291/Interstate 470.

With such a massive development being planned, the area's road network has become a major focus of interest. In particular, extensive planning needs to be undertaken so the area doesn't become a massive snarl of traffic.

Howard Penrod, director of Public Works in Independence, said the main areas of concern are U.S. 40, Missouri 291 and Lee's Summit Road. An access road called Bass Pro Shops Drive will be constructed from the site of the new store to the west, just south of the Whispering Meadows subdivision, until it connects to Lee's Summit Road. The right-of-way already exists through the Whispering Meadows portion, and the city owns the rest of the property.

Penrod said representatives of the Bass Pro Shops development group recently met with city and state officials to discuss traffic issues. He said the developer is currently working to update the traffic study for the development.

Byron Constance, a member of the development group, said the study should be submitted within 60 days. He said it was sure to contain recommendations for major improvements to the U.S. 40 and M-291 interchange.

Sabin Yanez, district engineer for the Missouri Department of Transportation, said the study will look at traffic counts and the development's impact on the area. Once it is submitted, MoDOT will review the information to make sure it is accurate and makes sense with the conditions out there. The study will be compared with the impact study submitted before Eastland Center was approved. Then all the parties will sit down and try to figure out the best solutions.

"I'm optimistic that a solution for traffic can be found. I think we can find some solutions that will work," Yanez said. "We have a very thorough process when it comes to anything that may have an impact to our transportation system, because we think it's important to think these things out and come up with solid plans ahead of time. We also understand that development comes to areas that we didn't anticipate, and that we need to find solutions that work for everybody. We want to have a good working relationship with the city and the developers involved in the process."

Local leasing agents in the area share the optimism of Yanez.

"It's always a concern about how to safely move traffic, but I have a lot of confidence that MoDOT and the city of Independence will come up with good solutions in that area," said Jerry Franklin, leasing agent for the Cliffs I at 4861 Cliff Avenue.

Lynda Anderson, manager of Cliffside Apartments, said the site is down the street from her, but not right in front of their entrance. So she doesn't think her apartment complex will be bombarded with traffic. In fact, she welcomed Bass Pro Shops to the neighborhood, saying it might draw new tenants for her.

Besides traffic, Constance said the developer is working feverishly to get all the necessary applications filed and finish all the engineering plans for the project. He said a number of utilities, including a major water line, will need to be relocated. Grading and planning for the dam, road bases and building sites all need to be approved and completed. He's also working with Bass Pro Shops to complete the final site plans for its new 160,000-square-foot Adirondack lodge-style store and hotel.

"Everybody is working full speed ahead. We don't have any time to spare, so we need to keep moving," Constance said. "We're working with MoDOT, the DNR, the Corps of Engineers and everybody else that has a say in what gets done on that site. We've just got a lot of elements all going at once, but the city has been tremendously helpful and supportive throughout the process."
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote:As someone who works in the traffic engineering field, it would be very interesting to see just how they handle what will be essentially adding another Independence Center to the 470/70 area.
^^ Don't forget the proposed Independence Health Supercenter proposed down the road.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote:
GRID wrote:As someone who works in the traffic engineering field, it would be very interesting to see just how they handle what will be essentially adding another Independence Center to the 470/70 area.
^^ Don't forget the proposed Independence Health Supercenter proposed down the road.
The what?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Oh, never mind, you mean the massive hospital...;).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Speakin of that, after visiting MCI for the first time yestersay, I can honestly say now that Independence needs a modern hospital, bad.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The people of Independence would shell out $71 million in public money to help John Morris' Springfield, Missouri-based tourist attraction put in a mammoth store, surrounded by a "nature park," an 18-acre lake and a faux-rustic hotel.

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2004-07-15/janovy.html

Have we completely lost our minds? :(
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

It's a good investment, Bass Pro will be bigger than Cabelas.
Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Camping, perfect for Kansas City. And with more stuff and better prices than Cabelas.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCDevin wrote:It's a good investment, Bass Pro will be bigger than Cabelas.
Fishing, Hunting, Boating, Camping, perfect for Kansas City. And with more stuff and better prices than Cabelas.
1. This isn't about Cabela's or Kansas so drop argument right now.

2. Why do we need to put 71 Million into building a store that would've came here anyway and that now will have stores in Columbia, StL, Springfield, Omaha, Branson, etc. ? The money should be used for real destination attractions--not the new Wal-Mart of outdoor stores.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Any thoughts on what they might fill another 500,000 sq ft of retail next to bass pro with?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

If Bass Pro wants to open in 2006, I don't see the roads being ready in time. I don't think there is any room to expand 40 Hwy under 291/470 without replacing those bridges. And I don't think there is room to add a lane to southbound 291 without replacing the bridge over I-70. Neither one could be done by 2006.

I wouldn't be surprised if the road improvements lag behind the store opening by 2-3 years. Which is pretty typical in the Missouri suburbs.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Residents concerned with 45th traffic load
By David Tanner
The Examiner

A meeting Wednesday will help city officials better understand a citizens' complaint about a new street leading to the proposed Bass Pro Shops site in Independence.

Residents of Whispering Meadows, in an area west of the Bass Pro site proposed to the north and west of U.S. 40 and Interstate 470, are concerned mainly with future traffic woes on what they believe should be kept a residential street.

"We're quite concerned," resident Jack Buschhorn told the Independence City Council Monday. He said residents would prefer if the city would move the street south of Adair Creek so it can be farther away from homes along South Davidson.

The neighborhood is quiet, he said, and not ready for "millions" of vehicles passing by.

"These retired people moving in may be looking out their back windows at three million cars a year," he said.

He said the neighborhood has a petition out on the matter, which has garnered 200 signatures.

"We're not in disagreeance with you bringing Bass Pro in, we just wish you would move (the road) south of the creek," he told a sympathetic council.

Ardyce Koonce testified the road would be less than 40 feet from the back of her lot. Most of the homes on the south side of Davidson will be between 40 and 80 feet from the proposed right-of-way of 45th Street, which will run east-west from Lee's Summit Road into the Bass Pro site.

Bass Pro anticipates five million visitors a year to its store, hotel and wildlife area. The city has the main entrance planned off of U.S. 40.

Forty-fifth Street has been part of city plans for years, but the early stages show it as residential and not geared for traffic.

"This road has us concerned because it will ruin the wildlife. It will drive the deer out and drive the turkey out," Monty Mitchell told the council.

Resident Clyde Warner addressed a potential flooding issue with Adair Creek should a road be built nearby. The area is in the Adair Watershed, which Bass Pro will dam downstream to produce an 18-acre lake for its complex and as part of a joint venture for city park land.

Sharon Warner, a South Davidson Drive resident, said the area is scenic.

"It's going to be gone if that road is going to go where it's planned to go. It's peaceful and we do have a lot of animals," she said.

"That road is going to be so close. It's going to be noisy, and I for one, am going to be concerned about safety."

Mary Lee encouraged council members to look at the property and see what the city can do.

"It will totally disrupt our life," Lee said. "They are going to be looking into my living room window, not looking at the trees."

A meeting is arranged for 7 p.m., Wednesday at the Whisper ing Meadows Clubhouse at the end of South Davidson Street.

Several council members expressed interest in attending to hear more from the residents.

"We think Bass Pro will be good for the city," resident Theresa Hannah said. "We're asking for a compromise."

Mayor Ron Stewart commended the speakers for their polite protest, and said the city would do what it could to look into the road situation.

Acting City Manager Robert Heacock said the city is looking at two alternatives for the 45th Street extension: One is to follow the current city plat with the street running north of Adair Creek, and the other one would address citizens' concerns and have the street somewhere south of the creek.

The Bass Pro Shops developer has already signed a $190,000 letter of credit with the city to build the roadway, Heacock said.

"If it does go forward, what would be the best we can make out of that situation?" Heacock said.

The city may suggest buffering or a wall, but residents said they like the scenery of the area too much.

"Those are open to discussions," Heacock said. "If the road goes in on the existing alignment, what can we do to buffer those residential areas?"

Heacock said the area south of Adair Creek has some rough terrain and would lead to an increase in costs.

"We don't know right now whether that is feasible. We don't know right now what the cost would be," he said. "We will work to define what that other option would be ... and see what that development group would do ... If we move this south of the creek, it's obvious you'll have to cross (the creek) at least once, maybe twice."

Heacock said other issues facing the area include a new access lane added to Missouri 291, new growth in the area, and a pending traffic study.

"That will be used as a projector of the traffic volume as it hits certain areas," he said.

"Part of the dilemma is we have to move forward on these things fairly quickly," Heacock said.

He said Bass Pro will be working on its site next year and opening in 2006.

The company's tax increment financing plan, including the road improvements and a letter of intent for 45th Street, is now in the hands of the city.

The city's Tax Increment Financing Commission will meet Sept. 8 to review the Bass Pro Shops plan.

To reach David Tanner e-mail david.tanner@examiner.net or call (816) 350-6324.

http://www.examiner.net/stories/080304/ ... 4014.shtml
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I agree with the residents, they should build the road south of the creek so the Animal Killers Paradise doesn't disturb the local wildlife.
"This road has us concerned because it will ruin the wildlife. It will drive the deer out and drive the turkey out," Monty Mitchell told the council.

Sharon Warner, a South Davidson Drive resident, said the area is scenic.

"It's going to be gone if that road is going to go where it's planned to go. It's peaceful and we do have a lot of animals," she said.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The plan just got unanimous approval by the TIF Commission. Planning/zoning and/or City Council should be next.

http://examiner.net/stories/090904/new_090904012.shtml

Yearly tax revenues will go from $28,000 to $2m property and $5m sales. Half of goes to the developer and half goes to the local governments (city, county, schools, library, etc.)

The city should take that new money dedicate to rebuilding the older parts of town, including the Square, northwestern neighborhoods, and Noland Road. Plus sound walls along I-70. These things would ensure some real public benefit from all of the tax subsidies.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Well they moved the road south of the creek, but now will have to build another bridge. The new bridge on Jackson Drive finally opened this week too.

As far a sound walls, MoDot is planning to completly rebuild I-70 through Independence soon after the Blue Springs section is done. That will be a MAJOR project and will widen everything quite a bit. What I'm saying is that sound walls are coming. Seen the ones on 435 near the triangle and near the new 350 interchange? Well I think I-70 through Independence will be a canyon of sound walls when it's done because there are so many homes along the freeway and it will be even worse when it goes to eight lanes.

Any guess on what retail will fill the 500,000 sq ft of retail near Bass Pro? IKEA, Sears Grand?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

This is so freaking stupid...put the Wal-Mart of outdoor strores somewhere else! Why are we shoveling all this money at their dumb "project" when they will come to KC, Wichita, Tulsa, OKC, Des Moines, Omaha and on and on regardless of any incentives? People want to call BS on the KS side for their STAR bonds well I call BS on Independence for this complete stupidity.

KCMO should've brought Bass Pro to the Blue Ridge Mall site anyway. We have tons of vacant malls and Bass Pro has to go in a field next to an already overburdened freeway where we pay for road improvements and more?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Are the sound walls a sure thing? Who is paying for them? I thought MoDOT barely had enough to replace the road itself, and the sound walls were just a possibility mentioned in the I-70 MIS that is stilly in progress.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

from what i saw of I-70 going towards Ind. a month ago it looked like they were going to install sound walls, even though they might have just been retaining walls...
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

They look like retaining walls to me, since they have done a lot of excavation to widen the road bed.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Bad soil delays Bass Pro groundwork
By James Dornbrook
The Examiner

The construction of a new Bass Pro Shops store and hotel in Independence is running a little behind schedule, but everyone involved in the project says the challenges can be overcome.

Independence city planners are working with the developers to keep the Bass Pro Shops moving forward. The city holds meetings at least once a week to discuss the project and work through problems.

The lease agreement ap proved in June requires the city to deliver a site ready for development to Bass Pro Shops by March 1, at the northwest corner of U.S. 40 and Missouri 291. However, delays in obtaining the land disturbance permits from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have pushed this target delivery date back to about July 1, 2005. The lease allows a year leeway for the delivery date, but the city is trying to re-negotiate the lease agreement to avoid paying the financial penalties.

Bruce Hahl, director of the Independence Community Development Department, said the delays were unavoidable.

"There is really not a lot of choice. We have to get the permits, plus once we have the permits, we have to do some compacting of the soil in areas, which takes some time as well," Hahl said. "Everyone seems to be in agreement that moving the site delivery date to July 1 is justifiable. We just haven't officially changed the lease."

Hahl said the project is complex, and the city has flow diagrams, charts and other information showing 20 items that need to be tracked and deadlines that need to be followed. He said it takes a lot of coordination and work, but they haven't run into any problems that would be considered deal-breakers.

"I think things are generally going very well. We're moving forward nicely," Hahl said. "That's not to say we don't have any problems. We have a dozen problems that come up all the time that we have to work through, but generally things are good."

The hurdles facing the project include obtaining the permit from the Corps of Engineers needed to grade the site, approval of site plans to get a building permit and working out traffic plans for Missouri Department of Transportation approval.

The developers also need to work out compromises with neighbors who have concerns about the project, move a water main and sewer line, and bury some electric lines.

Byron Constance, project developer, said they are going full speed ahead to get everything accomplished as soon as possible. Constance is a partner of J.R. Stewart, John Evans and David Moore.

"At this point, we feel we have a good working relationship with everyone involved," Constance said. "It's a complicated process, but the city has been extremely cooperative and helpful with that process."

Soil test results caused those involved to plan building the Bass Pro store several feet to the north of that originally planned. The developers decided to incorporate the area with bad soils into plans for a lake that will be built in the area. The bad soil conditions are due to natural processes and not human involvement. This is considered a typical condition in southern Independence.

Constance said they are evaluating the environmental impact of the lake and the development, so no there is no damage to the environment.

The developer is trying to work out a mitigation plan with the Corps of Engineers, required when land is disturbed in sensitive areas, such as land near streams. A developer has to plant trees and restore an alternative area to make up for the land being disturbed.

Jackson County Parks & Recreation Director Gary Salva said he was approached by Bass Pro Shops to allow the company to mitigate land within the Little Blue Trace Park.

"Bass Pro Shops will be disturbing anywhere between 18 and 22 acres of land, and they have to find a replacement for that. They have come to us and wish to pay us to replace it," Salva said.

"We would go in and plant trees to replace those they would be cutting down in their area and we would assign a cost for that, along with a certain profit margin to make this worthwhile. We would then have to guarantee to maintain that land in a natural state forever."

Salva said the park land chosen would be old oxbow areas that the county would never develop for recreational purposes anyway. He said the county would be allowed to construct nature trails through the area.

The county's Storm Water Commission seemed interested in the plan, because it would create a mitigation project that could be used as an example for developers. It would also give the county a funding source for projects on county park land.

Salva said the plan would need to be approved by the County Legislature.

Hahl said there is also land available for mitigation on city property on both sides of the new road that will be constructed between the Bass Pro Shops site and Lee's Summit Road.

To reach James Dornbrook e-mail him at james.dornbrook @examiner.net or call (816) 350-6322.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Similar to Eastland, the project is going to require some massive terraforming that will obviously take quite some time.