2012 Downtown Housing Report

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: 2012 Downtown Housing Report

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I will say any building I buy in I want my parking spot within a block walk (same block, across the street, etc) if it comes as part of my condo.

I will also say if I can save $25,000 (which is what I'm seeing a reserved spot costs for condos I'm looking at), I'll walk a couple blocks for my spot of a car I don't use often.

AKP,...what is the interest in a topic you obviously don't have any interest/knowledge in?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Are you paying for a spot or is it a first-come first-serve garage? Yeah, there are apts on the Plaza where parking is not reserved since it is on-street parking but where you and your neighbors told you have reserved parking?

With first-come first-served you know what you are getting - you take your chances. But with reserved you are suppose to have a spot 24/7.
It is a first-come first-served parking lot that we actually share with an office building next door. There are a couple spots that are always for our building, but the rest is shared based on the time of day. This method really seems to work well, and even with both buildings using the lot it never fills up. That being said you have to have your car moved by 6 am so most building residents don't park there at night, hence the not having a parking spot many times. Kind of dumb how that works but nobody really seems to care.

To me the idea of having a reserved spot is ludicrous. Who the fuck cares where you park (unless of course your handicapped). If parking is that big of a concern in your life then you really need to get your priorities straight.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

$25,000 for a parking spot?!? Think of all the things you could do with 25 thousand bucks...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Demosthenes wrote:$25,000 for a parking spot?!? Think of all the things you could do with 25 thousand bucks...
Exactly what I said right?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Demosthenes wrote:$25,000 for a parking spot?!? Think of all the things you could do with 25 thousand bucks...
that's cheap if it's a garage spot.

The Kauffman center spots were twice that each.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Given what your previous comments were I would agree with you. But there are things others might consider. Such as:
How much will I be paying to park in the future?
Will my unit be easier to sell with the space?
Is it possible to have an appreciation in price?
Given that I am already spending $X amount of money for my unit what's another $25k.
How often am I in/out? When I was younger and before we had kids I/we could be out 3/4 evenings a week with sport activities and/or meetings and/or other activities (work, home for dinner, out).

Evidently people are buying the spaces for whatever reasons so for them parking could be a high priority.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In regards to building higher density apartment buildings downtown and in the River Market, and providing parking, I have found an example.

This is the Manhattan apartment building in Denver.

The building is a 244-unit apartment building with 356 garage spaces. The building is built over the garage, and townhouses surround the garage and hide it from view. The units average 1280 square feet, and mix both traditional design and loft space designs. The townhouses around the garage help preserve the pedestrian scale of the street.

http://www.thelawrencegroup.com/portfol ... tial/5.php
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The city wants more rental property downtown and a segment thinks we need a convention hotel? Why not put out a bid to build both in one tower with incentives? 800 to 1000 rooms on bottom half... Probably 25 stories, restaurant ballroom then another 20 stories of rental units?
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

The city set aside $10m for downtown housing; that made the 13th and Walnut development possible.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:In regards to building higher density apartment buildings downtown and in the River Market, and providing parking, I have found an example.

This is the Manhattan apartment building in Denver.

The building is a 244-unit apartment building with 356 garage spaces. The building is built over the garage, and townhouses surround the garage and hide it from view. The units average 1280 square feet, and mix both traditional design and loft space designs. The townhouses around the garage help preserve the pedestrian scale of the street.

http://www.thelawrencegroup.com/portfol ... tial/5.php
This seems to be how it is done allover Vancouver. Townhouses on the bottoms level that abut the street to preserve pedestrian scale and then highrise towers in the middle of the lot. An example: http://goo.gl/maps/zD67N

Anyway, perhaps we don't need towers quite that tall at this point, but I think a few 20-story towers could be filled.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:The building is built over the garage, and townhouses surround the garage and hide it from view. The units average 1280 square feet, and mix both traditional design and loft space designs. The townhouses around the garage help preserve the pedestrian scale of the street.
there's a similar design I saw that I liked for a downtown

the hotel in downtown Minneapolis we stayed in had a decent design and could work on KC's rocky downtown. the lobby was on ground level. parking was level 2-6. then the actual rooms were above that.

this style allows for shops or an office at street level. in a downtown the higher floors are more prized as they're away from street noise.

and there's no need to dig which cuts the cost of the project and could make apartment units more affordable
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote:the hotel in downtown Minneapolis we stayed in had a decent design and could work on KC's rocky downtown. the lobby was on ground level. parking was level 2-6. then the actual rooms were above that.
Crowne Plaza.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:
flyingember wrote:the hotel in downtown Minneapolis we stayed in had a decent design and could work on KC's rocky downtown. the lobby was on ground level. parking was level 2-6. then the actual rooms were above that.
Crowne Plaza.
impressive
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

flyingember wrote:
chaglang wrote:
Crowne Plaza.
impressive
The one on 13th?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

hope thats not the one you are referring to because that is a shitty looking building.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kboish wrote:hope thats not the one you are referring to because that is a shitty looking building.
Exactly.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, it's a crappy looking building, but it's an example of lobby first floor, several floors of parking garage over that, and then the rooms above the parking garage. Everything is on one footprint.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=11th+and ... 8qBFCEP53w
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Anyone hearing anything new regarding River Market West (The lot west of Populus)? I noticed a bunch of people marking off areas and surveying the lot one afternoon last week.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCtonic wrote:Anyone hearing anything new regarding River Market West (The lot west of Populus)? I noticed a bunch of people marking off areas and surveying the lot one afternoon last week.

It is being worked on, but not yet a done deal.