Anton's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Anton's

Post by earthling »

Like the space, eats well above avg. The deli case was empty, what are the plans for it?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

agreed on the fries. they need something. fries are a very competitive menu item these days.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Are there any vegetarian options on the menu? The lady is a veggie (I'm not) and I'd love to try Anton's out--it sounds amazing. It's just a bit tougher to get there by myself.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Eon Blue wrote:Are there any vegetarian options on the menu? The lady is a veggie (I'm not) and I'd love to try Anton's out--it sounds amazing. It's just a bit tougher to get there by myself.
They didn't have a full menu yet this past weekend, and I wasn't looking for veggie options. If you can think of a nearby failsafe, of which there are many, you can maybe stop in for a pre-dinner drink and look at the menu to see what is now available. It's worth the visit just to look around and see what they are working towards.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Hit it up for lunch today and agree with most of what is already said. Great beer offerings, inviting menu for me and a very cool space. The upstairs should be great though I feel for the staff that will have to work up there. Definitely will be a regular stop for me and I can't wait for the butcher shop to open.

A friend went the other day and said it was the best steak he's had in KC. (Bone-in Ribeye) I'm waiting for the 28-day dry aged to give the steak a try.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I went in last night for dinner. I, likewise, agree with most of what's been said. The fries are very unremarkable. Also, I really think they need a host(ess) stand. You walk in and it is sort of unapparent that you are to just seat yourself.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I went last night, if it wasn't for the huge selection of beer this place would be pretty forgettable. The fries were pretty horrible and the coleslaw was the worst I have ever had anywhere ever, i told the bartender it was horrible and they didn't take it off the bill. The beef Knuckle was so/so, nothing too spectacular.

The female bartender was very flustered and could not handle the large crowd that evening.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Had dinner there with quite a few people a few days ago. I really wanted to try the place and organized an outing for my extended family in KC. I thought the place was pretty OK if one likes burgers. One of our party had scallops, they were great but there were only 3 scallops and it hardly was a meal. The pasta special was pretty good according to one of our party, not so great according to another. I was a bit disappointed that the Tilapia had not reached the necassary size to make them table worthy yet limiting us to a smaller portion of the menu. The burgers were great and the fries were not nearly as bad as advertised and the selection of beer was pretty good (more boulevard selections on tap would, however, be appreciated).

I like the idea of what the owner is trying to create with the self sufficient, seasonal and local menu but I think it's going to take some time to perfect.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we went a couple weeks ago. the space is cool. the food was pretty average. the beer selection is awesome. the server was nice but totally overwhelmed. she forgot our order (seriously, if you can't remember orders, USE A NOTEPAD), was MIA for long periods of time, etc. also they were out of menu items, in addition to the rather confusing fact that the menu lists items that are not available at all yet, but will be in the future. that would have been nice to know when we received the menu, not when we tried to order food not yet available and had to scramble to order so we didn't have to wait another 15 minutes to order.

the tilapia farm/butcher shop/biodynamic thing is cool, but that is a pretty ambitious vision that will be tough to pull off. at this point, it is not even clear whether they can adequately run an above-average beer and burgers joint. i personally don't see us making anton's a destination but it can be a worthy addition to the local scene if they tighten up the operation a bit.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote:at this point, it is not even clear whether they can adequately run an above-average beer and burgers joint
This sums up my two experiences at Anton's. I'd only add that they desperately need a greeter/hostess. It's a slightly confusing restaurant setup and having someone to greet you and orient you to the restaurant would be worthwhile I think. I'm hoping for the best, but other than the beer selection, I've been underwhelmed on both trips. Will keep trying it though!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I had a pulled pork sandwich that was quite good last weekend. It is gigantic, so order with an appetite or with a friend. The onion rings were solid, but they were served with the zesty/chipotle/whatever mayo on the side, which I don't really like, personally. I was too lazy to ask for ketchup for the rings, but I'm sure the mayo was good for folks who like that with rings.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

went to anton's again last night and had a great experience. the aged steakburger was fantastic, and the fries were delicious. i asked for a side of BBQ sauce, expecting the usual cup of Sysco BBQ sauce (which I am fine with), but it was clearly a homemade sauce. Interesting too, kind of sweet but in a good way. Our server was very good and quite eager to please. The place was busy for a Wed evening.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i should add that i went back recently and fries are much improved. on-site tilapia should be ready to use in the fish tacos soon!

also, the pasta is decent. hard to find one in the 'hood outside of lidia's.

we took a tour here on sunday as part of the new partners conference. six of them came back later for lunch.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Poor place was slammed yesterday, they obviously didn't check the concert schedule and plan accordingly. That being said, the waitstaff were holding up well and staying upbeat. We sat at the bar, the house burger was exceptional, the chicken strips were meh, the fries were good, the 80 acre was refreshing. The back patio was open, but not serving food they said. That seemed to be where most of the serving delays were happening. Young folks and their power drinking. I look forward to a return trip to try the fish which was sold out. Nice space.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Anybody know what Anton thinks about the streetcar?
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

bobbyhawks wrote:Anybody know what Anton thinks about the streetcar?
Yep. I do.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

I enjoyed a few beers on Anton's back patio last night. Very nice environment, maybe 8 or so picnic tables, water wall, fire pit with lawn chairs around it (fire wasn’t lit with the beautiful weather last night), a couple tented gazebo things and the smoker going. The beer list will excite most beer nerds. Not a lot of unique offerings but a diverse and large selection.

I didn’t eat but did ask about food. The waitress said a new chef started this week so she expects some menu changes. The basement set up was really cool, too. Great place, I’ll be back for sure.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

droopy wrote:I enjoyed a few beers on Anton's back patio last night. Very nice environment, maybe 8 or so picnic tables, water wall, fire pit with lawn chairs around it (fire wasn’t lit with the beautiful weather last night), a couple tented gazebo things and the smoker going. The beer list will excite most beer nerds. Not a lot of unique offerings but a diverse and large selection.

I didn’t eat but did ask about food. The waitress said a new chef started this week so she expects some menu changes. The basement set up was really cool, too. Great place, I’ll be back for sure.
I've enjoyed my meals there, but by my count, it sounds like this will be their third chef since opening. Either there is a really specific vision for what needs to happen, or they haven't found the right personality to work with ownership yet. I'm very excited to have this patio in the area for the summer.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

More love for KC dining.

http://tinyurl.com/m9dvru4
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Now serving Sunday brunch 10-2.