Hyatt Crown Center to become Sheraton

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hyatt Crown Center to become Sheraton

Post by mean »

Yeah, if and when that ever actually happens. Unfortunately, all the people who work at the Regency will probably have other jobs in 3-5 years. Sucks.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What is the big deal with updating it and bringing it back to the quality it once was?  Most of the time when hotels go downhill, it's because the location around them is going downhill.  Crown Center is still a desirable area that only seems to be getting better.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I believe that's part of their plan....hotels have to constantly get a refresh. Hyatt and crown center waited too long IMO.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

According to the paper they're about to drop 18 million on the newly flagged Sheraton and Westin...seems like that should do the job
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote: What is the big deal with updating it and bringing it back to the quality it once was?  Most of the time when hotels go downhill, it's because the location around them is going downhill.  Crown Center is still a desirable area that only seems to be getting better.
Hyatt wanted more than CCRC was willing to spend, I hear.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New ideas for downtown convention hotel plan includes DST/Marriott expansion that includes renovation of the old Muehlebach building.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/07/18/30 ... lding.html
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Just a quick poll...

Has anyone stayed in a large hotel (over 200 rooms) built in the 50s/60s/70s/80s that they'd consider top drawer today?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'm not a very experienced traveler, but I'd recommend the Captain Cook in Anchorage.  Great vintage decor immaculately maintained.  If I remember correctly, the owner lives on the premises and each morning personally reviews the previous day's comment cards.

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote: Just a quick poll...

Has anyone stayed in a large hotel (over 200 rooms) built in the 50s/60s/70s/80s that they'd consider top drawer today?
Not really. Even the Grand Hyatt in midtown Manhattan was pretty disappointing (renovations in 1980 and 1996), although since I was last there a couple years ago they have apparently renovated again to the tune of $130 million.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hyatt switch at Crown Center gets contentious
As part of the transition, Crown Center and Starwood asked Hyatt to hand over documents concerning existing group bookings, catering event contracts and other information about the corporate accounts that make up the bulk of the hotel’s business.
Hyatt, however, tried to slap a label of confidentiality on many of the records.
According to court documents, it did so by leaving them in an accordion file in the office of Crown Center President Bill Lucas after the close of business Sept. 1, with a note tucked inside saying that his transfer of the materials to Starwood would constitute an agreement that they were proprietary. That would restrict Starwood’s use of the materials.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hyatt no more: Crown Center hotel now a Sheraton under new ownership
The Hyatt Hotel at Crown Center, which opened in 1980, officially became the Sheraton Thursday.
A changing of flags was scheduled for 10 a.m.
Benton's, Skies and Peppercorn Duck Club are now closed.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

That is sad, especially about Skies. I wonder if there is any long term plan for that space?
pxswodniw
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by pxswodniw »

Midtownkid wrote:That is sad, especially about Skies. I wonder if there is any long term plan for that space?

Yes, it will be a Starwood Preferred Guest Lounge shortly. Not open to the general public....too bad, but it's the use that's the best fit considering the current restaurant business environment, I suppose.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

So does this mean the conventions are going to be at Crown Center or at the Convention Center?
http://www.kansascity.com/2011/12/01/32 ... rwood.html
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

pxswodniw wrote:
Midtownkid wrote:That is sad, especially about Skies. I wonder if there is any long term plan for that space?

Yes, it will be a Starwood Preferred Guest Lounge shortly. Not open to the general public....too bad, but it's the use that's the best fit considering the current restaurant business environment, I suppose.
I'm really in no position to have this opinion, but I'm going to go ahead and disagree anyway. I would think there is no way that Starwood will make as much money in added hotel stays as it would if this was even just a cocktail lounge open to the public. There are many many hotels with similar members only or premium lounge areas on top, but very few of them have views that are unique or could be considered "best in the city." It seem very much like a small time version of the top of the Hancock building in Chicago, where everyone should be able to have a drink and gaze upon the skyline. I would think marketing it as such would be a better boon to hotel stays than would keeping it a secret to people with tons of points.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'm surprised no one has suggested a Playboy Club.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Sheratons BLOW. They are so unpredictable. I would say on average, a Hyatt Place is nicer than a Sheraton.

And I still can not understand the closing of skies. No excuse for that Crown Center.

Congrats on the new conventions, but they would have came anyway. (before starwood controlled both CC hotels).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote:Sheratons BLOW. They are so unpredictable. I would say on average, a Hyatt Place is nicer than a Sheraton.

And I still can not understand the closing of skies. No excuse for that Crown Center.

Congrats on the new conventions, but they would have came anyway. (before starwood controlled both CC hotels).
Skies is a huge loss for KC and and a bit of a personal loss for me. My wife and I always celebrate our anniversary in KC and usually finish it off with a beer or glass or wine or coffee at Skies because of the view. The service there was poor and I am sure the logistics of running the restaurant was difficult but they could have at least left it as a public bar.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KMBC Channel 9 had an interview with Bill Lucas from Crown Center on TV the other day, and Lucas said that Sheraton was upgrading its' image and that they were going to spend $20 million to renovate the Hyatt. Starwood also plans to renovate the Westin.
"Sheraton is a brand on the move -- on the uptick. There will be a big makeover. The look will change on almost everything to the furniture to the materials and hard goods," Lucas said.
http://www.kmbc.com/money/29900933/detail.html