Fran's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Fran's

Post by loftguy »

Check out the inside back cover of the menu. 

They have a tasty looking photo of a grilled deli sandwich and they are advertising party sandwiches at $24 for a box of a dozen.....?  At that price, it's to be one of the great lunch meeting options in the city.

The photo looks like a regular sized sandwich but at this price it could be a regular sandwich cut into a dozen squares.

If no one else knows the story, I'll check it out in the coming days.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Here are some phone pictures from last Friday night, 5:00

Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

awesome!  I really like it!  Some of you need to start writing Yelp reviews!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: awesome!  I really like it!  Some of you need to start writing Yelp reviews!
cosign.

share the info in a venue where people will actually see it.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Ate there today with my mom. The poutine really should have used curds instead of shredded cheese, the Canadians would be quite disappointed. The peameal bacon cheeseburger was pretty good, always love a new style of bacon. Overall, I like the place and the decor, probably hit it up for breakfast sometime next week.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Ate there today with my mom. The poutine really should have used curds instead of shredded cheese, the Canadians would be quite disappointed. The peameal bacon cheeseburger was pretty good, always love a new style of bacon. Overall, I like the place and the decor, probably hit it up for breakfast sometime next week.
how the fuck are they not even making poutine correct when their only locations are in Canada?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Apparently they use the shredded cheese in Canada as well.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The place was almost completely abandoned and the hostess had an exclamation of shock when we came in.  Definitely a joint to go to with groups of friends with diverse tastes as the menu is ridiculously large. 
What time did you go in?  I'd hate to see this place is already struggling to get customers....I'll be there at Christmas and it's on my list.

I don't know what is the attraction of Poutine ... soggy french fries ..... yech. 
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Thank god the support for out of town restaurants are so good here!  :cheers:
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Jill ja wrote: Thank god the support for out of town restaurants are so good here!  :cheers:
Maybe it's time you open a Toronto location?!  :-D
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Jill ja wrote: Thank god the support for out of town restaurants are so good here!  :cheers:

not everyone is privileged enough to enjoy expensive meals at bluestem.

when are you going to open a place most can afford like celine tio and krause did?
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

TK - apparently you haven't checked out the lounge side of bluestem - great food at ridiculous prices.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Celine and Robert both have done an awesome job placing their food at the approachable level. Both are well above the curve for bringing big city dinning to Kansas City, seeing how more bigger city restaurants are falling into that janra.
http://events.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/di ... 4rest.html
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Apparently they use the shredded cheese in Canada as well.
Interesting - I had wondered if there just wasn't a curd supplier in the KC region. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

moosnsqrl wrote: TK - apparently you haven't checked out the lounge side of bluestem - great food at ridiculous prices.
exactly.  the bar menu at bluestem is great, and if you go at happy hour it's probably the most affordable "good" food in the city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Interesting - I had wondered if there just wasn't a curd supplier in the KC region. 
shatto makes cheese curds now. you can get them at cosentino's.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^Most restaurants take short cuts, especially diners.  Many BBQ places in KC technically don't serve BBQ by definition - true slow cooked meat.  There are probably many places in Canada that don't prepare poutine with fried curd.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

Having just travelled to Canada, I can tell you they do use shredded cheese there.  We stopped at a chip truck on the way to a lake and I got chips with poutine and they used shredded cheese. My Canadian friend said about half the time it's curds and the other half shredded cheese. 

I went for breakfast yesterday.  There were about 2 other tables of people there so the staff hovered a bit.  We had someone at our table chatting with us every 5 minutes and telling us to spread the word that they were open.  I don't know how they'll get much of a bfast crowd during the week.  But they did tell us that they got very good business with the late night crowd...their 11pm-6am shift was the highest money maker for them.

I had the Kansas City Scramble.  I don't know why it's named for KC as I don't really think it's a KC type of dish, but it was VERY good.  It's basically scrambled eggs with chopped veggies on a toasted english muffin topped with hollandaise sauce, with a side of home fries.  I'm not a big fan of breakfast potatoes, but these were excellent!  Along with a glass of pineapple juice, my bill came to about $14.  There were cheaper options on the menu and this KC scramble was one of the more expensive bfast items, but I had to try it.  My friend had the breakfast wrap and said that it was delicious. 

The staff was really friendly and really went out of their way to make sure our food was good and we were taken care of.  Of course, no one else was really there.  I think we're going to make this a regular breakfast place. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Angel wrote: But they did tell us that they got very good business with the late night crowd...their 11pm-6am shift was the highest money maker for them.
This is definitely the thing I'm most excited about.  Something other than (1) Town Topic, (2) standing in the cold in front of a wagon, or (3) schlepping out to Waffle House or IHOP.  Not that there's anything wrong with any of these options, just nice -- really nice -- to have a (4).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We went before David Sedaris.  Better half had the mac and cheese and pronounced it "nummy".  I had the hot pastrami, tasty but not special.  Thought the fries sucked.  We'll go back.