Talk of anchoring Big 12 championships

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Talk of anchoring Big 12 championships

Post by KCMax »

Big 12 awards KC the men's basketball tournament for 2012-2014, the women's from 2012-2013. KC was already scheduled to host both tourneys in 2011.

Dallas will host the football championship 2011-2013.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Wait and see, the conference may not exist at those times.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I don't see how anyone in Kansas City can want any of the current 'senarios' to happen.  It would be a huge bust for the city and this announcement should make everyone aware of just how much we could possibly lose.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beautyfromashes wrote: I don't see how anyone in Kansas City can want any of the current 'senarios' to happen.  It would be a huge bust for the city and this announcement should make everyone aware of just how much we could possibly lose.
Yea, I have to wonder if at any point the Missouri Legislature gets involved? Sure a move to the Big Ten is great for the flagship university of the state, but it could also potentially cost the state millions in tax revenues from hosting the Big 12 tourney every year. I would think at least the KC delegation would be very much opposed to this.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: but it could also potentially cost the state millions in tax revenues from hosting the Big 12 tourney every year.
It very well be a wash to the entire state.  More money could flow to MU for being in the Big 10 than what the city gets from the tournament.  Besides the possible move to the Big 10 would be a few years down the road.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It very well be a wash to the entire state.  More money could flow to MU for being in the Big 10 than what the city gets from the tournament.  Besides the possible move to the Big 10 would be a few years down the road.
Yea, but politically, I would guess it looks better to "create economic activity for hard-working small business owners" in KC than to allow more money for those "liberal egg-heads in their ivory towers" in Columbia.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: It very well be a wash to the entire state.  More money could flow to MU for being in the Big 10 than what the city gets from the tournament.  Besides the possible move to the Big 10 would be a few years down the road.
If you honestly think that increased AD revenue would actually translate into reduced state subsidy, I have some beach front property to sell . . .
You can be damn sure that they will find a way to spend any windalls over and above the operating budget.  
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I wasn't talking about the state subusdy but the additional funds to the university that it could spend mostly in-state, whether it be for athletics or academics or research.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

That still doesn't change the public revenue loss KCMax is describing. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Someone in Kansas City should be leading a Save the Big 12/Save the Big 12 Tourney in KC campaign.  God knows we've had enough scare tactic campaigns we should be pretty good at it by now.  At least get me a FB page to like- Save the Big 12.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I wasn't talking about the state subusdy but the additional funds to the university that it could spend mostly in-state, whether it be for athletics or academics or research.
Yea, I don't see that resonating with the general public like the economic benefit of several basketball tournaments. More money for "elitists academics" vs. more money for your local businessman. Hmmm....

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

LenexatoKCMO wrote: That still doesn't change the public revenue loss KCMax is describing. 
That is local revenue, for taxes and businesses, that may or may not be replaced by other events or activities.  Besides, it looks like the Big 12 "could" be a non-entity anyway without MU going to the Big 10.

The governor has already spoken in favor of the move, many associated with MU (both athletic and academic) have spoken in favor of the move, and since the MU system is governed separately from the state there is little the legislature could do in this case except to threaten state funds and that is something many in the state wouldn't stand for.

MU staying in the Big 12 probably has it's biggest support only in the KC area.  Go outside the KC area I would say that many would be in favor of the move to the Big 10.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: That is local revenue, for taxes and businesses, that may or may not be replaced by other events or activities. 
The state of Missouri doesn't collect its sales tax at these events, all the neighboring bars, shops, hotels, and restuarants?  What a bargain!  4.65% of an event that reportedly nets hundreds of millions in local sales is no small change. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's idiotic to argue athletic conference funding to schools vs. actual tax revenues to the state....but AKP knows that, he's just being this typical self.

This is great news for KC.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: I wasn't talking about the state subusdy but the additional funds to the university that it could spend mostly in-state, whether it be for athletics or academics or research.
There would be additional funds in terms of revenue sharing but that would be a relatively small share of the existing athletic revenues which actually might drop if Mizzou athletic teams dropped off in quality due to a loss of current recruiting areas/lack of player interest in the big 10.  CCero did a pretty good job of debunking the myth of the Big X CIC delivering substantial amounts of research money to Mizzou; that isn't going to happen, it's not what the CIC does.  Mizzou only stands to gain by academic prestige by association, I think everything else is going to be a net loss or break even.  The Big X is an athletic conference that has stagnated and possibly on decline, Mizzou does not need to be there.  KC stands to lose a substantial venue in a move to the Big X....the Big XII seems to putting the carrot of a permanent home for the men's tourney out to KC, possibly in return for Mizzou's loyalty. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

LenexatoKCMO wrote: reportedly nets hundreds of millions in local sales
Hundreds of millions??????????????????????????????????????????

Over what period of time?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just a bit of confirmation, big 12 is signing contracts until 2014 with local vendors so no fear of them changing their mind due to conference changes.

Also sending out bid sheets for 2015-2018 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc