What are you 'Top 5' favorite US cities and World cities?

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What are you 'Top 5' favorite US cities and World cities?

Post by chrizow »

i love college towns.  i really want to visit madison, berkeley, boulder, eugene, etc. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chrizow wrote: i love college towns.  i really want to visit madison, berkeley, boulder, eugene, etc. 
Madison is definitely in a league of its own, though berkeley looks interesting, especially being in proximity to SF and Oakland. Unfortunately I didn't have time for Eugene a couple weeks ago, I regret that, though I would have not had time for the Oregon coast at its season peak (mostly sunny (though it did rain  :lol:), mid 70s)...

Boulder is semi-over rated, though not to visit if that makes sense (got to tube boulder creek).
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Tosspot wrote: Chicago honestly didn't do that much for me...
I don't know what you have seen of Chicago, but I do recommend you return, again and again...it's vast and varied. I feel it has the best (most positive) vibe of any "big" to "mega" city I've visited. It also damn near feels/looks western-urban at times on a hearty scale.
Last edited by warwickland on Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

warwickland wrote: I don't know what you have seen of Chicago, but I do recommend you return, again and again...it's vast and varied. I feel it has the best (most positive) vibe of any "big" to "mega" city I've visited. It also damn near feels/looks western-urban at times on a hearty scale.
Seconded. Sadly, so many people know Chicago from the loop. Get out of the loop ASAP. Chicago has such a great variety of neighborhoods close in with varied densities and demographics. Just get on the train and hop off at a random stop. I love Chicago because it is urban but completely unpretentious (well, other than Lincoln Park) -- a welcoming pride and love for the city. People are friendly and being on the streets makes you feel like you are part of something.

I can't really explain it but there is just a vibe, like warwick said. Get back there and dig in.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

staubio wrote: Seconded. Sadly, so many people know Chicago from the loop. Get out of the loop ASAP. Chicago has such a great variety of neighborhoods close in with varied densities and demographics. Just get on the train and hop off at a random stop. I love Chicago because it is urban but completely unpretentious (well, other than Lincoln Park) -- a welcoming pride and love for the city. People are friendly and being on the streets makes you feel like you are part of something.

I can't really explain it but there is just a vibe, like warwick said. Get back there and dig in.
This was exactly what I was going to say.  People make the error of thinking that Chicago is Michigan Avenue or Millenium Park or Rush Street (or, God forbid, O'Hare, if they're clueless).  Experiencing Chicago means experiencing the neighborhoods. And, yeah, not just Wrigleyville/Lakeview and Lincoln Park.