First Fridays

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: First Fridays

Post by chrizow »

BurningMustard wrote: It was the Acura thing I was unsure about, I wasn’t aware of dealers trying to sell cars during first Fridays, but I guess they are.
there have been toyota/scion demonstrations and advertising during past first fridays, but i think they were more corporate-guided than focused on local dealers.  i believe vespa as well.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

This looked like an awfully tame First Friday - granted I didn't hang around until the end though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We are out in it currently, have been since 7:15 and it is very slow. 
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

It's kind of cold right now and the city is exhausted after a rough night.
KC is the way to be!
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think First Friday jumped the shark a while back, especially with the decreasing numbers of art galleries.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ComandanteCero wrote: I think First Friday jumped the shark a while back, especially with the decreasing numbers of art galleries.
yea, something has happened...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I blame Funkhouser.
KC is the way to be!
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I've been in KC since Sept, and haven't made it to a First Friday yet, sadly... I take it tonight wouldn't have been the night to start?

I do agree that it's cold and windy, and last night was a long night for many with the storms.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I always start at the Hillard Gallery on 18th because it's a sure bet to get wine/beer.  And they always seem to have some pretty neat metal sculptures.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

Well how was the turnout the last few months? I'm not a regular at FF, but I imagine much of the suburban contingent has forgotten about it until summer rolls around (June). It seems people from the burbs would be much more likely to trek into the urban core for FF if it was warmer. Maybe people have just forgotten about it since fall/early winter.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

First Fridays is sooo 2006.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

schugg wrote: First Fridays is sooo 2006.
I seriously think that's it.  People have a short attention span.  The "been there done that" mentality.  FF really started to get slow late last summer when the weather was still perfect.

Plus, I still think there is a core group of people that do all of the culture stuff in KC.  For example, there are only a handful of people at my office that have ever been to FF or the P&L District or anything else.  Yet the very few people that have, go to everything over and over, including myself.

Eventually those people are going to get bored and move on.
schugg
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by schugg »

GRID wrote: I seriously think that's it.  People have a short attention span.  The "been there done that" mentality.  FF really started to get slow late last summer when the weather was still perfect.

Plus, I still think there is a core group of people that do all of the culture stuff in KC.  For example, there are only a handful of people at my office that have ever been to FF or the P&L District or anything else.  Yet the very few people that have, go to everything over and over, including myself.

Eventually those people are going to get bored and move on.
Yeah, I think it should be "fifth fridays" that way it will only be about four times a year, like this year. 
(february, may, august, october)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: yea, something has happened...
Seems probable that some of the same people who attended the events last year might be at the P&L District this year?
GRID wrote: For example, there are only a handful of people at my office that have ever been to FF or the P&L District or anything else. 
Uh, don't you work downtown?  One must have a tremendous lack of curiosity to work a few blocks from what is essentially the talk of the town and cannot be bothered enough to even stroll through over their lunch break or after work.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

As a artist.. art happens the rest of the week by the way..We did originally set out to lure people in with food and liquor (sometimes makes the art look better). The seen last night was not packed like last year due to galleries closed,cold and also there spread out further east,west bottoms.There are however what I have noticed more street people,performers,merch..I think we still need more buildings to pull the plywood off so it doesnt seem like such a long 6 blocks from east to west. For those of you who do come out on  FF thanks..there is always something new out there week to week..
P&L Free since 2008
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

the west crossroads was pretty crowded last night.  the leedy-voulkos area and the yj's area were as packed as ever, esp. considering the chilly weather.  i was actually surprised at how many people were there given the weather.  my posse didn't venture too far east, though.

Highlander wrote: Seems probable that some of the same people who attended the events last year might be at the P&L District this year?
i don't know.  my friends and i drove through the p+l around 9 on our way to the river market, and the p+l wasn't too crowded at that time.  when we drove back through at 12, it was pretty crowded but not nearly like it was a month or two ago (likely because more places are open and it was cold).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a few street closures -- 18th? -- would help focus the activity. the main problem with FF has always been a lack of focus for first-timers. people give up or get stuck going to the same galleries they remember fondly. and why not make some interactive street art so it's not just a big voyeuristic stroll?

we ventured east past grinders looking for the next big and less expensive thing and yeah, lots of galleries not participating or closed this month.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

we went last month, actually stayed at the Hotel Phillips and made a weekend out of it.  I was surprised how busy it was considering the month.  It's nice to be able to walk from Union Station to the hotel with plenty to do see and eat.  The east/west spread keeps things interesting, you could almost alternate from month to month if you wanted.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Way to go grovester!  If you don't mind me asking, where do you live otherwise?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Way to go grovester!  If you don't mind me asking, where do you live otherwise?
Merriam, in the Hocker Grove area.  I need to post some pix of the neighborhood, you'd love it.  You know Merriam used to be the vaction destination for the KC glitterati back in the day.  My folks live in the old Blue Jacket Lodge, an arts and crafts from the turn of the century.