Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

dnweava wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:16 pm If we do go with the EV site, I'd like to see the currently empty lots north of the T-mobile center saved as a view corridor between P&L and the new stadium so you could literally see the two areas from each other as a pedestrian/tourist. If you remove the ugly concrete municipal courthouse and the small weed store you could create a clear path between the 2 districts to keep that synergy so the areas don't feel so disconnected and could do some mixed use buildings (in blue) along that path to create a really cool diagonal corridor and suburbanites won't feel that walking to a game after getting a beer in P&L is too far of a walk.

The surface lot at 13th and Grand is an extremely valuable plot that will be built on at some point. It might be 2098.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

EV stadium site and p&l will absolutely compliment each other. It's laughable to think otherwise.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:52 pm EV stadium site and p&l will absolutely compliment each other. It's laughable to think otherwise.
People who get paid a lot of money and do this type of thing as a career disagree with you to an extent. They CAN compliment each other but that requires effort and some intervention on the cities behalf to protect their own interests as well.

If the Royals just built whatever they wanted with no consideration of their surroundings, it would harm PNL. Just like how someone building an entertainment complex surrounded by bars, clubs and restaurants a few blocks from ballpark village in St Louis would hurt ballpark village. Or, it would fail because ballpark village has the better location and the baseball team. This actually happened by the way. The Armory mimicked what Ballpark Village does and it’s been a struggle but also has had a negative impact on Ballpark Village. It’s actually even further away than EV is to PNL.
kman
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kman »

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

kman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:39 pm Armory struggling ,,,you sure?

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... d2b32fb9e8
That article is from January of this year. It was a hopping place for a while, but has since quieted down. It’s a bit difficult to get to. A fair amount of people know it’s there, but not many people go anymore (at least from my observations). It might fluctuate with SLU being right there. The Foundry is clearly the more active of the two.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Royals taking soil samples in NKC

Wtf?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -site.html
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

kman wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:39 pm Armory struggling ,,,you sure?

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local ... d2b32fb9e8
Yes.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:38 pm Royals taking soil samples in NKC

Wtf?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -site.html
What sucks is they can’t do these very basic things as part of the process without the media sniffing it out which just makes things look even more confusing.

I get it. This topic is pure gravy for local media.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:14 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:52 pm EV stadium site and p&l will absolutely compliment each other. It's laughable to think otherwise.
People who get paid a lot of money and do this type of thing as a career disagree with you to an extent. They CAN compliment each other but that requires effort and some intervention on the cities behalf to protect their own interests as well.
How can they can they disagree with me and then the next sentence be they can compliment each other? Nobody in their right mind is going to think Royals will build another Live! block. they may mimic the P&L and build some empty retail space though. I kid I kid.
If the Royals just built whatever they wanted with no consideration of their surroundings, it would harm PNL. Just like how someone building an entertainment complex surrounded by bars, clubs and restaurants a few blocks from ballpark village in St Louis would hurt ballpark village. Or, it would fail because ballpark village has the better location and the baseball team. This actually happened by the way. The Armory mimicked what Ballpark Village does and it’s been a struggle but also has had a negative impact on Ballpark Village. It’s actually even further away than EV is to PNL.
That's 4 miles apart, this isn't apples to apples. That would be like saying PNL shouldn't have been built because Westport was already an entertainment district
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Chiefs and Royals could move to Kansas if stadium talks fail, Jackson County lawmaker warns
However, Jackson County 1st District Legislator Manny Abarca IV says he worries that Kansas City may have missed its shot to secure the stadium.

Abarca, who chairs the county’s Stadium Improvements Committee, told KCUR’s Up To Date that the Royals — and Chiefs — were both made offers to move to neighboring Kansas.

“We have heard from direct sources that there are serious considerations for a move to the Kansas side,” he said.

Abarca explained the future locations of the two teams are being negotiated in tandem, and Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said on X he's concerned Jackson County will lose the Chiefs over this.

Abarca believes the possibility of Kansas City, Missouri, losing both of its sports teams is very real and comes from a lack of trust between county leaders and the teams.
https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... aker-warns
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Armory looks more like an indoor Pennway point. Let's not waste anymore time trying to make an comparisons. It's just not applicable.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:02 pm Armory looks more like an indoor Pennway point. Let's not waste anymore time trying to make an comparisons. It's just not applicable.
I have first hand knowledge on the St Louis situation. They both have concerts, events and utilize large LED displays to show sports. I helped design certain aspects of it. Once again, you, with no real knowledge may disagree that they’re not competing with each other but in fact, they do.

And of course it isn’t apples to apples. My point was The Armory had a negative impact on Ballpark Village and it’s not within walking distance. What do you think it would do 5 blocks away when it would compete for game day traffic?

I also said the professionals disagree with you to AN EXTENT. For example you’re convinced EV and EC are no different in terms of distance from PNL. You don’t think building a village in EV will hurt PNL.

And btw, people did say PNL shouldn’t be built because of Westport and PNL opening initially hurt westport until they started making some changes. The difference here is PNL is already coming up short of the cities tax revenue predictions and we need to build with that in mind.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:02 pm Chiefs and Royals could move to Kansas if stadium talks fail, Jackson County lawmaker warns
However, Jackson County 1st District Legislator Manny Abarca IV says he worries that Kansas City may have missed its shot to secure the stadium.

Abarca, who chairs the county’s Stadium Improvements Committee, told KCUR’s Up To Date that the Royals — and Chiefs — were both made offers to move to neighboring Kansas.

“We have heard from direct sources that there are serious considerations for a move to the Kansas side,” he said.

Abarca explained the future locations of the two teams are being negotiated in tandem, and Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said on X he's concerned Jackson County will lose the Chiefs over this.

Abarca believes the possibility of Kansas City, Missouri, losing both of its sports teams is very real and comes from a lack of trust between county leaders and the teams.
https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... aker-warns
They need to keep saying this and applying pressure. If the Royals do move to Kansas, they should demo Kauffman and leave nothing but the statue of Frank White with a plaque that reads: Moron
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:15 pm [ The difference here is PNL is already coming up short of the cities tax revenue predictions and we need to build with that in mind.
I think I hear you saying that the original deal was a bad one and not realistic, but somehow we should still defer to it when considering new projects?

The PNL will never fail, it will always under perform, by design.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:15 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:02 pm Armory looks more like an indoor Pennway point. Let's not waste anymore time trying to make an comparisons. It's just not applicable.
I also said the professionals disagree with you to AN EXTENT. For example you’re convinced EV and EC are no different in terms of distance from PNL. You don’t think building a village in EV will hurt PNL.
The data convinced me. It's .1 mile different. They disagree with that? I don't think whatever they build around a new downtown stadium no matter the location will hurt PNL, correct. They want to build development around their stadium, neither location will they try and be a direct competition to pnl, that would be idiotic to not synergize the two
And btw, people did say PNL shouldn’t be built because of Westport and PNL opening initially hurt westport until they started making some changes. The difference here is PNL is already coming up short of the cities tax revenue predictions and we need to build with that in mind.
I know they did. So you think they were right based on this Ballpark Village / Armory point.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

We shouldn't be scared by talk of moving to Kansas. It was inevitable. What we do need to do is get everyone on the same page for the location that we are offering the Royals downtown. The time for alternate locations is over. I was an advocate for the North Loop location (still more land than EC and on the streetcar line) but everyone needs to pull together. The answer is East Village. Hold strong on it. Don't waver. Quit chasing rabbits. I really think the Royals want to be downtown. They know it's the only location that will bring the revenue they need to be successful. Of course, they want to negotiate the terms. But, sometimes, the best deal is the one right in front of you and the longer you wait, the worse the deal gets. Get in a room and negotiate and quit trying to get every last crumb. You lose money every month you're at TSC.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I really appreciate everyone's comments here. It shows that we mostly all agree on the need for a downtown stadium. Just build one already and let access to younger fans yield more attendance and boost downtown in general. No matter if stye choose East Village or Crossroads, just give me it already.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:17 am
Metro wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:41 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:13 pm

According to what you see on social media?
Buddy it's been a few months since there supposed announcement that still hasn't been made and a year into this thing with new sites getting thrown out there. The EV plan has failed and a vote will fail. You need to come back to reality
Guy, a finalized plan hasn’t even been presented to the public. An organized marketing plan hasn’t even been released. A final site hasn’t even been selected. Not sure how there can be no support for a plan that hasn’t been presented yet.

If you mean there’s strong “save the K” momentum on social media, I’d won’t agree with you. But we’ve learned over and over again that social media angst doesn’t always mean a project doesn’t have support.

The reality I’m living in is messy with a sloppy job by the royals from the start but the reality is there’s more happening now behind the scenes than ever before.

I’d expect a more formal announcement about EV or EC in the coming weeks. Most likely after the new year.
Again my company has ran private polling on this and it polls very very poorly among Jackson Co voters. There's a reason why other sites are being looked at and it's not to drive up the price because there's not really the huge demand for the Royals like you pretend there is.
Anthony_Hugo98
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Metro wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:27 pm
DColeKC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:17 am
Metro wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:41 pm

Buddy it's been a few months since there supposed announcement that still hasn't been made and a year into this thing with new sites getting thrown out there. The EV plan has failed and a vote will fail. You need to come back to reality
Guy, a finalized plan hasn’t even been presented to the public. An organized marketing plan hasn’t even been released. A final site hasn’t even been selected. Not sure how there can be no support for a plan that hasn’t been presented yet.

If you mean there’s strong “save the K” momentum on social media, I’d won’t agree with you. But we’ve learned over and over again that social media angst doesn’t always mean a project doesn’t have support.

The reality I’m living in is messy with a sloppy job by the royals from the start but the reality is there’s more happening now behind the scenes than ever before.

I’d expect a more formal announcement about EV or EC in the coming weeks. Most likely after the new year.
Again my company has ran private polling on this and it polls very very poorly among Jackson Co voters. There's a reason why other sites are being looked at and it's not to drive up the price because there's not really the huge demand for the Royals like you pretend there is.
I think the point he’s more so making is that it’s hard to poll something when there still isn’t a coordinated push to win over the voting demographic on the project yet because the Royals are still deciding the site. I’m not going to speak for DCole though, but that’s what I gathered from his responses thus far.

Do you have any links to these polls by chance?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:21 pm
I think the point he’s more so making is that it’s hard to poll something when there still isn’t a coordinated push to win over the voting demographic on the project yet because the Royals are still deciding the site. I’m not going to speak for DCole though, but that’s what I gathered from his responses thus far.
True the hard sales pitch hasn't started but I would think that many voters are just against the concept of the team moving from TSC, especially on the taxpayers' dime, it doesn't matter where the location is.