OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by ignatius »

KCP, my primary point was what should be focused on - more daily events.  Not trying to bury it at all, just suggesting where the focus should be.  Am simply being brutally honest that P&L is probably not in itself an attraction for the metro.  It will indeed rely on other activities.  P&L will do well to serve patrons of the other activities.  It's better to understand that and manage it accordingly than to ignore the obvious with lots of unrealistic hope and expectations.

The bottom line is that when there are events, the place is booming.  When no events, it's nearly dead.  Ding ding ding... wonder what they should be focusing on?  More events.  It's probably easiest at this time to bring in more events than more housing, a pro team and more retail.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCPowercat wrote: The city has sufficient risk in the district currently. Sure I want the new condo towers, hq hotel, etc. But I also see that's not really feasible right now.
KCP, you are buying the party line.
The city leadership, esp. Funk, has not only given up on downtown, but has played a bullshit political game to turn the various communities of the city against downtown.  I can't believe it has happened and I refuse to let people forget that it is a division made on lies and mistruths.

Yes, the economy sucks.  That's when leadership leads, to take a city/country/etc... in the direction that creates the greatest desired results, for the good of the most.  Money and investment is part of it.  Lobbying, use of media, cajoling the cajones off of developers, corporate leaders, federal officials are some of the most significant tools in the arsenal.  Chriminee, drink some coffee and wake up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have bought the party line?  Wow, not at all. My opinion has nothing to do with what funk is preaching.

Impatience is the rule on this site, always has been.  I get that, we want stuff built now but it is just not feasible right now. I think planning should continue to get the pipeline filled for when it is feasible.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

....sufficient risk in the district
....not really feasible

Sounds too much like the sound bites from the big F and his minions.

Maybe my trigger finger is too itchy today.  I do feel like kicking someones ass.  Thanks for helping KCP.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You got the wrong guy. :)

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ignatius wrote: Am simply being brutally honest that P&L is probably not in itself an attraction for the metro.  It will indeed rely on other activities.  

The bottom line is that when there are events, the place is booming.  When no events, it's nearly dead.  Ding ding ding... wonder what they should be focusing on?
Currently, the P&L is a one dimensional district: NIGHTLIFE.  It is certainly a nightlife destination.  Regardless of events, P&L runs like a well-oiled machine from thursday - saturday. 

From Sunday - Wednesday, business is slower.  It is to be expected.  Go the Plaza on a monday afternoon.  Not nearly as many patrons as a saturday afternoon.  It is what it is.  During the slow periods, the traffic from SC definately helps.  Can't argue this.  I believe we need an anchor tenant for just this reason.  If 20,000 more people walk by P&L from Sunday - Wednesday, that can only mean more business. 

For P&L to explode, it needs residential.  First and foremost.  This will drive retail.  Second, it needs retail.  The kind of retail that you can't find anywhere else in the metro (H&M).  When these two things are realized, P&L will be a total, complete package, and a destination for everybody, from all walks of life. 

Currently, it is only a nightlife destination.  Given the economy, I have no problem with this.  AEG and Cordish could work harder to bring in more events, but I've been pretty happy with the jobs they have done in P&L and SC thus far.  IMO, P&L has been a success, despite this atrocious marketplace.  We should not be content and complacent, but we should be happy with how P&L is performing thus far.   
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ig...I totally disagree, p&l is a metro wide attraction and I hear of people my age having their siblings in from out of town just to go out there...so its a regional attraction. Comparing to the plaza is apples and oranges and just not fair for an area opened just one year.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote: Currently, the P&L is a one dimensional district: NIGHTLIFE.  It is certainly a nightlife destination.  Regardless of events, P&L runs like a well-oiled machine from thursday - saturday. 

From Sunday - Wednesday, business is slower.  It is to be expected.  Go the Plaza on a monday afternoon.  Not nearly as many patrons as a saturday afternoon.  It is what it is.  During the slow periods, the traffic from SC definately helps.  Can't argue this.  I believe we need an anchor tenant for just this reason.  If 20,000 more people walk by P&L from Sunday - Wednesday, that can only mean more business. 

For P&L to explode, it needs residential.  First and foremost.  This will drive retail.  Second, it needs retail.  The kind of retail that you can't find anywhere else in the metro (H&M).  When these two things are realized, P&L will be a total, complete package, and a destination for everybody, from all walks of life. 

Currently, it is only a nightlife destination.  Given the economy, I have no problem with this.  AEG and Cordish could work harder to bring in more events, but I've been pretty happy with the jobs they have done in P&L and SC thus far.  IMO, P&L has been a success, despite this atrocious marketplace.  We should not be content and complacent, but we should be happy with how P&L is performing thus far.   
I agree 1000%.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

:lol:

Meeesa agreeesa toooo.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Agree with kc-w too.  Thu-Sat nights are apparently doing OK and I'd agree that P&L is a club destination for weekends but that's about it.  To fill in Sun-Wed nights, focusing on events probably is the easiest way of increasing P&L traffic in the short term, moreso than adding housing or getting retail as the Plaza loses retailers.

Cordish could probably only have control over KC Live events though.  It appears overall they will be dependent on Midland/Sprint Center/PAC/Bartle/Munihall traffic for the short term until they can establish themselves as a destination beyond the club weekend scene.   The movie theater will be great for those who are already downtown for other reasons, but it won't attract people in unless they do premiere openings before released elsewhere.

Bumping up # of KC Live events Sun-Wed would probably be the best short term way of increasing traffic on a daily basis.

Am not knocking Cordish or P&L at all. Just making suggestions on where the focus should be in the short term.  It's much more realistic to add more events than to add more housing or retail for now.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

ignatius wrote: Agree with kc-w too.  Thu-Sat nights are apparently doing OK and I'd agree that P&L is a club destination for weekends but that's about it.  To fill in Sun-Wed nights, focusing on events probably is the easiest way of increasing P&L traffic in the short term,
Spending money to have events Sunday through Wednesday may not be the way to go.  Those are nights that generally are not nights that people go out and do things.  May not be identical but have worked with sport teams and organizations in the past.  Games and events on those nights usually had lower attendance than on the weekend nights.  Of course one would think that they would schedule promotions on those nights to "boost" the numbers.  They found out the return was not worth it, either taking a loss or having a minimal return.  But when they spend those dollars on the weekends the returns are definitely worth it (look at when the Royals do their promos).

Live with Sun-Wed crowds for now.  Let them spend whatever money they have on promotions on the nights when the returns are greater.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The money for events comes from parking revenues if I remember right.

People do go out sun-wed, especially the service industry and happy hours are still very widespread. There is a reason the royals do tshirt tuesday, not tshirt friday.

Cordish programmed well last year during midweek. I expect that continues.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I've noticed a couple Live events last Fall on a Wed were well attended.  Of all options, attracting KC Live events Sun-Wed probably has a better chance of increasing traffic than adding retail or more housing for now.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

ignatius wrote: Agree with kc-w too.  Thu-Sat nights are apparently doing OK and I'd agree that P&L is a club destination for weekends but that's about it. 
I might also add that most of these places are doing really well during the lunch hours 7 days a week.   
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I went to one of the free concerts, I think on a Wednesday night, and there were tons of people there.  Also, once AMC opens there will be some additional revenue...and hopefully foot traffic.

On a side not, did anyone see the blurb in Kevin Collison's article today about Cordish's Ballpark Village development in StL?  Until the economy turns around, some of the empty lots will be made into a softball field and parking lot.  :o

http://www.kansascity.com/501/story/1102513.html
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kcjak wrote: I went to one of the free concerts, I think on a Wednesday night, and there were tons of people there.  Also, once AMC opens there will be some additional revenue...and hopefully foot traffic.

On a side not, did anyone see the blurb in Kevin Collison's article today about Cordish's Ballpark Village development in StL?  Until the economy turns around, some of the empty lots will be made into a softball field and parking lot.  :o

http://www.kansascity.com/501/story/1102513.html
Nice catch. I think this article deserves its own thread.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Reading Joyce Smith's Column this morning, it sounds like 801 Chophouse is quickly following Bice down the road to nowhere fast.  Another suit from Cordish for back rent followed by a dozen or more mechanics liens from the contractors who finished it. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I went for a drink last night hoping to escape the crazed Britney fans.  I ended up escaping people all together.  Granted, if I was a couple going for dinner and there was mass hysteria (and there was!) with parking etc from young girls everywhere, I would have went somewhere else too.  But there was one table filled at 7:00.  There was one person at the bar.  Looking around the place, for the prices I expected something more intimate.  It's too warehousey with the tall celings.  The finish feels unfinished....  I have yet to fork up the dough on their food, but I'm a little worried about our "fine dining" options down here.  Thank God Bristol seems to have it together and is doing well (I hope!)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

801 does feel odd...and they are going to have to expect some failure early when they look at the market they are going in to. Kc has a wide range of known great steakhouses, it will take some time for 801 to get some of that marketshare.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

funny that we were predicting vinino's demise a year ago. but yeah, 801 and bice could easily be replaced by more affordable options and no one would ever notice.