Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Such a move would result in no tax money being approved. I don’t think KCMO voters are as interested in this as others. Unless you split the obligation and reduce the sales tax at the county level and put a city measure on the ballot. The tax jurisdiction would be split three ways…
- Northland KCMO 1.5/8 cent
- KCMO within Jackson County: 3/8 cent
- Jackson County: 1.5/8 cent

I think in this scenario, it would likely pass. Reason: Out of KCMO Jackson County residents would see the sales tax as negligible. Same with Northland KCMO residents. So the core of the city is pulled across the finish line. Granted that’s just my idea and assumption.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So any tax revenue stays within kcmo budget too?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not following. So what is Jackson County saying? They are not interested in doing what the Royals want to do? This really should be a Jackson/Clay/Platte vote, but I guess that's just not in the cards.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 am I'm not following. So what is Jackson County saying? They are not interested in doing what the Royals want to do? This really should be a Jackson/Clay/Platte vote, but I guess that's just not in the cards.
That's how I read the situation considering their first counteroffer did not include a sales tax vote or bond issuance, and was 150+ million dollars short of what the Royals were asking for.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:07 am
GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:04 am I'm not following. So what is Jackson County saying? They are not interested in doing what the Royals want to do? This really should be a Jackson/Clay/Platte vote, but I guess that's just not in the cards.
That's how I read the situation considering their first counteroffer did not include a sales tax vote or bond issuance, and was 150+ million dollars short of what the Royals were asking for.
I don't see how Jackson County is able to do a sales tax just for the Royals when they will also have the Chiefs to deal with. Or does the Royals plan also include the Chiefs? The Royals have done a terrible job so far with site selection etc and the Chiefs being totally mute on the situation makes things even worse.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

GRID wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:09 am
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:07 am
I don't see how Jackson County is able to do a sales tax just for the Royals when they will also have the Chiefs to deal with. Or does the Royals plan also include the Chiefs? The Royals have done a terrible job so far with site selection etc and the Chiefs being totally mute on the situation makes things even worse.

That's a good question, and one I have no knowledge on. In theory, I don't see why you couldn't bifurcate the two extension proposals--although I don't think anyone would think that a good idea. As you note, it would be great if Mark Donovan and Clark Hunt were to become more active participants in this whole ordeal.

Lastly, regarding site selection--I've heard this criticism from many, but I'm just not sure it's wholly deserved. If the rumors are true--which all signs point to being so--that Jackson County was unwilling to seriously negotiate until the past four-to-six weeks with the Royals regarding public financing then what were the Royals alternatives? They couldn't just announce the East Village if they had no backing from county leadership, and they couldn't get rid of the NKC site until Jackson County came to the table. The Royals have been clear that the EV and Jackson County is their preferred location, but if they were getting crickets from the County Executive office until recently, I'm not sure they had many better alternative paths than what they've done. Perhaps I'm not looking at this in the way you are, but that's just how I see it (which is by no means guaranteed to be correct).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ I generally agree. I like the idea of using the NKC site as a backup and as leverage. It might possibly keep the team in KC or on the MO side at least. But I think they need to go all in on the Downtown location now and start refining the plans, renderings of the stadium (they need to do better) and what they really plan to do with the surrounding areas. Also what will the city and state do with the street and highway infrastructure in the area.

They are running out of time to this before going to a vote.

The the Chiefs should be involved because the Royals are taking all the heat for wanting a new stadium when the Chiefs are going to want one as well or a renovation that will cost as much as a new Royals stadium.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

They might still have a few tricks up their sleeves, surprising us with unconventional strategies that haven't crossed our minds. If I were in the market for acquiring a substantial piece of land for a development project, I would employ subtle diversions and employ every legal and ethical means at my disposal to secure it at a reasonable price. It brings to mind the example of Walt Disney when he was accumulating land in Florida for the construction of Disney World. The land was discreetly purchased by individuals seemingly unrelated to Walt Disney, and only when the secret was eventually revealed did the land's value per acre soar. I suspect that the acquisition cost of land in EV carries a significant premium, as investors have been anticipating this for many years. The recent NKC situation might have potentially helped mitigate these prices or even encouraged the landowners in the EV area to cooperate.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Another day, another leak out of the Jackson County Executive Office ostensibly for the sole purpose of killing any momentum the Royals may have. I'm highly skeptical of the numbers in the report--they seem solely designed to harm public opinion. If you are Sherman, how much longer are you willing to put up with this? The Royals did respond to the previous term sheet Frank White sent, and the County has given Frank White 48 hours to recommend a response. Given the swiss cheese nature of the executive office, that response should be known fairly soon.

Sadly, I see any chances of the Royals being downtown rapidly deteriorating. A sale of the team looks more likely than them moving downtown.

What’s more, is that I find fascinating the comments in the Star’s piece that seemingly suggest that Frank White also has no appetite to entertain negotiations with the Chiefs either. The Chiefs will have to seriously, if begrudgingly, consider Kansas if that is true. Heavy emphasis on the if part.
Last edited by DMNBT_RCJH on Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

^I knew the minute I saw that report someone was gonna say something like this. *sigh*. This is just how politics works. They're getting a deal, it's just a matter of how much they can get Jackson to hand out. Expect the media to puff piece the entire show and act like it's all mayhem, and then suddenly a deal will come together. Again, this is just the usual course of politics and striking a deal.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:21 pm ^I knew the minute I saw that report someone was gonna say something like this. *sigh*. This is just how politics works. They're getting a deal, it's just a matter of how much they can get Jackson to hand out. Expect the media to puff piece the entire show and act like it's all mayhem, and then suddenly a deal will come together. Again, this is just the usual course of politics and striking a deal.
I apologize for the negative attitude. I just continue to see this as signs the two sides are worlds apart and April is coming fast (and so is 2031). Perhaps this also shows I do not have the gall for organized politics.
Last edited by DMNBT_RCJH on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

The KCStar is just trash, they thrive on anything to make people click and get outraged.

10% insurance increases per year?

Yes, inflation in 40 additional years of our existing tax is going to be a lot if you just run it with straight line napkin math.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

alejandro46 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:08 pm The KCStar is just trash, they thrive on anything to make people click and get outraged.

10% insurance increases per year?

Yes, inflation in 40 additional years of our existing tax is going to be a lot if you just run it with straight line napkin math.
Typical Star. It's a sales tax. Wouldn't the products sold in Jackson County be subject to the same inflation increasing the revenue generated by the sales tax as to cancel out the impact of increased operating costs through time? Plus, revenue generated by concessions/parking (although subject to inflation) will increase through time to further offset such costs.
Last edited by Highlander on Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Inflation is the basis for the number growing in their story? Lol
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

A quick scan of the KC reddit (which is, of course, neither real life nor representative) certainly shows that the leaked "secret memo" appears to be having the desired effect. Although many in that sub would likely never vote for any proposal (or vote at all).
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Mayor Lucas and Manny Abarca (Jackson County Legislator) have both tweeted out that the numbers in the secret, leaked memo are detached from reality and have alluded that someone (Frank White) is not negotiating in good faith.

KCDowntown
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Here are the statements from Manny Abarca & the Mayor saying it’s BS.
https://x.com/mannyabarcaiv/status/1717 ... RPpXS0iFBA
https://x.com/QuintonLucasKC/status/171 ... 10619?s=20

Like I said even before this statements came out, be prepared for loads of crap from the media saying “it’s doomed! Oh no!!” for sensationalism until the deal is done. It’s always involved in these political processes.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:03 pm Another day, another leak out of the Jackson County Executive Office ostensibly for the sole purpose of killing any momentum the Royals may have.
Not from his office. From a member of the legislature
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:32 am
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:03 pm Another day, another leak out of the Jackson County Executive Office ostensibly for the sole purpose of killing any momentum the Royals may have.
Not from his office. From a member of the legislature
uh huh.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Manny Abarca & Quinton Lucas are putting Frank White on absolute blast this morning on twitter, and radio. I’ve never seen a local pol get hammered this hard by other local pols.

If White’s not careful I’d start worrying about an ouster if I was him.