P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P&L District: 13th & Main Site Proposal

Post by trailerkid »

Place was packed yesterday with a big convention going on.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Isn't the barbershop quartet convention in town?
There is no fifth destination.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

The Barbershop convention left town today. They were GREAT for business, but I'm relieved they're gone.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I heard a guy on my flight yesterday say he was in town for the piano tuner's convention this week.  :lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ColumbusParkian wrote: The Barbershop convention left town today. They were GREAT for business, but I'm relieved they're gone.
Why are you relieved?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

NDTeve wrote: I heard a guy on my flight yesterday say he was in town for the piano tuner's convention this week.  :lol:
It's for real...
http://www.pianotuning.com/rpseminars.htm

The exhibit hall is 'sold out'...
http://convention.ptg.org/exhibitors.html

You Can Tune a Piano but You Can't Tuna Fish
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just a quick observation how places were doing on a late, hot, monday night with no big event/convention going on that I am aware of.  This was around 9:15-9:45 tonight.

Whopper Bar - closed.  This shocked me frankly.  I figured a corporate owned store would hold their hours...of course i'm not really sure (or did I check) what those hours are...I thought I had witnessed them open past 10pm.

Chipotle - Fairly busy...oddly everybody sitting outside

Balsano's (the reason for my walk) - A group came in right after me.  Sidebar....wow, $4.50 for a small ice cream seemed a bit steep.  Serve their food menu all day BTW.

Genghis Grill - couple of tables full

outside of this block but.....

Bristol - Always busy

Fran's - Patio busy just like everytime I walk by.  Didn't see the inside.

Cosentinos - Busy

In general - Lot of people just around.  Frankly surprised me given the time/day of the week/temperature/etc.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Balsano's (the reason for my walk) - A group came in right after me.  Sidebar....wow, $4.50 for a small ice cream seemed a bit steep.
Thats about what glace and murray's charge
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I told myself that's the normal price of ice cream products nowadays....but still kinda surprised me. 

KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

KCPowercat wrote: Bristol - Always busy

It's really impressive how much business they do.  They're a great example of a local restaurant killing it in the P&L. 

On the other hand....Had my first, and probably last experience at Drunken Fish last night.  I was looking forward to a movie across the street at AMC after, but they were having A/C problems and the theater was over 80 degrees.  At least they were nice enough to warn us of the problem before we bought our tickets and give us the option to give it a shot or not. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Forgot to mention drunken fish. Probably a 3rd full. I was pleasently surprised by the crowds.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Yeah I told myself that's the normal price of ice cream products nowadays....but still kinda surprised me. 
I noticed at the new Balsano’s that they seem to have done away with the 3 different sizes they had at the Plaza shop. I was in there Sunday (btw, doing a pretty great business at around 2 in the afternoon) and asked for a “small”. What I received was easily double the size of what I remember from the Plaza. I sort of decided that they must just need a higher average check to make it rain in the P&L. Regardless, it was delicious.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

smh wrote: I noticed at the new Balsano’s that they seem to have done away with the 3 different sizes they had at the Plaza shop. I was in there Sunday (btw, doing a pretty great business at around 2 in the afternoon) and asked for a “small”. What I received was easily double the size of what I remember from the Plaza. I sort of decided that they must just need a higher average check to make it rain in the P&L. Regardless, it was delicious.
Please support Balsano's as much as you and your diet can.  :)  I am friends with the owner and he has put a lot of money into moving from the Plaza to P&L.  If you have suggestions, please feel free to tell them as they are trying to tailor as much as they can to what people want.  They make all their food fresh daily.  Their quiche is awesome and I've suggested adding a side salad or cup of fruit with it.  Even if you don't like or can't eat gelato, give their breakfast/lunch options a tryout.  Cheers!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here was one I thought of last night. I saw all these great restaurants across the street and thought balsanos would be a perfect nightcap for those diner.

How about a sign offering 10% off desert and coffee in the evenings with your receipt from 801/Bristol/drunken fish....

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

geeman68 wrote: Please support Balsano's as much as you and your diet can.  :)  I am friends with the owner and he has put a lot of money into moving from the Plaza to P&L.  If you have suggestions, please feel free to tell them as they are trying to tailor as much as they can to what people want.  They make all their food fresh daily.  Their quiche is awesome and I've suggested adding a side salad or cup of fruit with it.  Even if you don't like or can't eat gelato, give their breakfast/lunch options a tryout.  Cheers!
Adding to this—it is ridiculous how cheap you can get lunch at Balsano’s. I have not had it yet myself, but basically everything on the lunch menu is $6.95, a nearly unheard of price in P&L.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

why was I relieved? Because they wore my ass out!
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCPowercat wrote: Here was one I thought of last night. I saw all these great restaurants across the street and thought balsanos would be a perfect nightcap for those diner.

How about a sign offering 10% off desert and coffee in the evenings with your receipt from 801/Bristol/drunken fish....
Awesome idea!  Run that by the peeps over there! I'll mention it to them as well.  They might have to narrow that down to weeknights so as to not cut into their busy weekend times but like it!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

[quote="ColumbusParkian"]
The Barbershop convention left town today. They were GREAT for business, but I'm relieved they're gone.
[/quote

The IHOP convention going on downtown would be much worse then a Barbershop Convention
http://blogs.pitch.com/plog/2011/07/iho ... cinate.php
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

What ever happened to cults having their conventions at their compound? ..then committing mass suicide?

[alternate bitchy/unproductive post]:

Janet Reno, why have you forsaken us?
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

KCPowercat wrote: Here was one I thought of last night. I saw all these great restaurants across the street and thought balsanos would be a perfect nightcap for those diner.

I stopped in to Balsano's this morning, great job with the place!  The staff was attentive and quick, and great coffee.  They also asked if I worked downtown, and offered a 10% discount.  Nice touch.