Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by KCMax »

Which Wich is headed to Westport
If you've ever envisioned yourself as a sandwich artist, then Which Wich may be the place for you. The sandwich chain, which is opening a location at 556 Westport Road (the former Einstein Bros. and Fuji Japanese Steakhouse space), lets customers design their lunch by marking ingredients on a paper bag with a red Sharpie (stores also hang customers' bag drawings on the wall).
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Right on, Which Wich is awesome. It's a really good concept and the sandwiches are great.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCLofts wrote:Right on, Which Wich is awesome. It's a really good concept and the sandwiches are great.
It could be great, but I don't get how it isn't just a less efficient version of all of the other sub shops out there. It seems like the entire paper bag idea is only to justify a clever name, but the system in action could be different than I am imagining. Per the website, they probably have better options than most of the big chains, so it will be interesting to check out. There seem to be a number of more local-style, non-assembly-line delis being planned right now. I wonder if this is the best location for the first KC franchise, just a few blocks from a drive through Jimmy John's.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCLofts wrote:Right on, Which Wich is awesome. It's a really good concept and the sandwiches are great.
It could be great, but I don't get how it isn't just a less efficient version of all of the other sub shops out there. It seems like the entire paper bag idea is only to justify a clever name, but the system in action could be different than I am imagining. Per the website, they probably have better options than most of the big chains, so it will be interesting to check out. There seem to be a number of more local-style, non-assembly-line delis being planned right now. I wonder if this is the best location for the first KC franchise, just a few blocks from a drive through Jimmy John's.
At least they offer corned beef and pastrami - so it's automatically better than Goodscents, Subway, Jimmy Johns, etc. If they have halfway decent ingredients, they'd rank above those places at well. As someone who will not darken the door of any of the current assembly line shops, I look forward to seeing if it can be done in a halfway decent manner.

On the 39th st thread, Repete mentioned the possibility of a Jewish Deli in that horrific strip mall. Please god, let that be true.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

...and let them have really good homemade corned beef and pastrami!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote:At least they offer corned beef and pastrami - so it's automatically better than Goodscents, Subway, Jimmy Johns, etc. If they have halfway decent ingredients, they'd rank above those places at well. As someone who will not darken the door of any of the current assembly line shops, I look forward to seeing if it can be done in a halfway decent manner.

On the 39th st thread, Repete mentioned the possibility of a Jewish Deli in that horrific strip mall. Please god, let that be true.
I agree for the most part. Jason's Deli sells corned beef and pastrami, so I really can't give credit just for that. I know some folks who are considering a Jewish-style deli somewhere else in the city (still just an idea). With the potential for one on 39th along with the deli in the old Cosby building, there could be some good options opening up over the next few years. I'll be happy with anything that doesn't simply slice Boar's Head.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Louisiana Prime New Orleans Chophouse is taking over that Japanese restaurant location to make a "fine dining steakhouse with a Creole influence" to open in October.

Corner Restaurant on Broadway has an April 29 soft opening date planned.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCMax wrote:Corner Restaurant opens today

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/money/business_ ... restaurant
Went for breakfast on Sunday. Great menu. Trying to do the farm-to-table thing. I had a benedict with sausage instead of Canadian Bacon. Chef from Affaire is doing all their sausage -was very good.

Nice atmosphere, full cocktail menu - great addition to the neighborhood.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

KCMax wrote:Corner Restaurant opens today

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/money/business_ ... restaurant
Had dinner here unexpectedly. Really nice, more upscale than I imagined, but only because of memories formed 20 years ago. Fried avocado, caprese salad and turkey on challa bread with house chips. Throw in a few drinks and you're into some cash. Worth it, but I imagine they might still be finding their audience. Not really busy at 7:30 but that's probably way early for the westport crowd. Another good option in that part of town.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/28/43 ... tport.html

i smell BS on this one:

* teenager walking to westport to "look at the shops" at 10pm?
* being robbed in front of peachwave at 10pm, with no witnesses? my friends were right there at that exact time last night and said westport was teeming in a lull in the rain.
* can't find an open business to call police? in westport? so you walk, for "an hour," and find yourself 4 blocks away at domino's at 39th and wyandotte?
* what teenager doesn't have a cell phone anyway?
* etc.

i am weirdly banned from commenting on kc star articles, so i implore fellow kcraggers to go on here and cast aspersion on this story unfairly maligning westport. i would bet this kid was wandering around 39th trying to find some herbage and got fleeced and made up a weird story.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

If he was at the 400 block of Westport Road, he was right at Broadway and Westport. Peachwave Yogurt (I assume the yogurt shop in question) is open until 11.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCTV of course leaves out the details that cast any doubt into the kid's story, so I posted over there. Here's the link if anyone else wants to chime in...

http://www.kctv5.com/story/22716289/tee ... knifepoint
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I generally try really hard to not judge people for the weird ways they want to spend their time but how can there be so many people whose soul purpose is to go onto negative KCMO articles and bash the city? There's really NOTHING else they'd rather be doing?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

A couple shootings over the last 2 days. One was a kid on a skateboard looking to take his wallet and another was outside a nightclub. Who are we to blame now that America's pub is gone?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote:A couple shootings over the last 2 days. One was a kid on a skateboard looking to take his wallet and another was outside a nightclub. Who are we to blame now that America's pub is gone?
it seems like Gusto is kind of attracting some of the same issues that america's pub used to. the difference is that Gusto is trying to figure out ways to avoid it.

where can i read about these recent shootings? i dont see anything on the star website.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/we ... index.html
Police said the man was shot following a fight over a woman at a nearby night club.
I don't know about the other shooting.

Huddle House also had an armed robbery a few weeks ago, and a teenager in town for the SkillsUSA convention was robbed at knifepoint in Westport.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote:http://www.kmbc.com/news/kansas-city/we ... index.html
Police said the man was shot following a fight over a woman at a nearby night club.
I don't know about the other shooting.

Huddle House also had an armed robbery a few weeks ago, and a teenager in town for the SkillsUSA convention was robbed at knifepoint in Westport.
we discussed the SkillsUSA kid - that was obviously BS.

the shooting over a woman is pretty unfortunate.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »