Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:33 pm It's 1st and Goal at the one inch line for EV now IMO.
And GRID already wants to take the field goal...jk jk
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:01 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:33 pm It's 1st and Goal at the one inch line for EV now IMO.
And GRID already wants to take the field goal...jk jk
haha, well I just don't see anything more than that happening. The Chiefs don't want it. The city doesn't want it. Jackson County has NO idea what the fuck it's doing or wants. And the state of Missouri will be of little help. It would take all of them fully on board and with passionate goals for KC to build a new top tier 2 billion dollar plus NFL stadium.

You combine that with the fact that the Royals need a new stadium and any tax increase for stadiums that most people don't think need replacing is going to be a challenge.

What gives you the idea that anything more than a renovation to Arrowhead + new training facilities and office space is even remotely possible?

So yeah, settling for a renovation and a new Downtown Royals stadium is likely the best result in all of this.

If I were dreaming, I would build a new NFL stadium with a retractable roof in Paseo West or that NKC site AND build a full blown LRT line (NOT a tram line) from downtown to KCI serving both stadiums. But dreaming is different from reality.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Let's try and stick to baseball in here. We were doing so well..any chiefs talk here is just premature anyways, let's let them define what they are going to do.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:38 pm Let's try and stick to baseball in here. We were doing so well..any chiefs talk here is just premature anyways, let's let them define what they are going to do.
70% of what we do on here is speculate because waiting on actual information is boring and takes forever!

Hard to keep it on the Royals only when the entire process is so dependent on other teams. It really needs to be one conversation and one thread.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I get there is some intermingling and I've been guilty of mixing them up in other threads but for now it's pretty easy to not opine on what the chiefs want in this thread. This is pretty clearly a NKC / EV site discussion right now.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

News tonight: Clay County thrown another obstacle now for their stadium plans

"Missouri statutes only allow a maximum of asking for 1/2 of 1% on a ballot question. This means Clay County voters would have to approve two separate ballot measures to raise enough funding for the Royals."

Man, rough week for NKC site.

https://fox4kc.com/news/clay-county-res ... ium-twice/
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

But they could do that in the same election, could they not? Call it Question 1 and Question 2, and campaign to say yes on both?
KC is the way to be!
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

AllThingsKC wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:11 am But they could do that in the same election, could they not? Call it Question 1 and Question 2, and campaign to say yes on both?
Yeah, but in an already dicey vote you don’t want the voters feeling like they’re paying two different sets of taxes. It’s hard enough to convince them to pass one.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So if the stadium goes to NKC, they would need to increase sales tax by 1% and if it stays in Jackson they are talking about just an extension of the current tax?

Sales taxes are really high in the KC area. I feel like a 1% increase would be a really hard ask.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes jax would be just extension of the current tax and the chiefs would be getting money too
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:18 pm So if the stadium goes to NKC, they would need to increase sales tax by 1% and if it stays in Jackson they are talking about just an extension of the current tax?

Sales taxes are really high in the KC area. I feel like a 1% increase would be a really hard ask.
And you'd be asking Clay to vote twice for it. sure, one ballot, but twice is a psychological driver.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:18 pm So if the stadium goes to NKC, they would need to increase sales tax by 1% and if it stays in Jackson they are talking about just an extension of the current tax?

It just shows how unrealistic a NKC Stadium is funded by only Clay County.

The owners of the Royals should drop the idea completely and concentrate on marketing/selling a downtown ballpark. It's really too bad the funding cannot come from more counties than just Jackson. Ideally, it would include as many of the 5 major counties in the KC metro as possible to spread the cost around (albeit, Wyandotte would never cooperate). I am not sure the owners are ever going to get what they want if this is left to a Jackson County only vote. Perhaps only under threat to leave to KC. It's up against two major factors in Jackson County: 1. A poorer urban community that doesn't want to spend any more money on taxes and 2. suburbanites that view anything downtown with great suspicion and fear (just read the ridiculous comments on the Save Kauffman Website).
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah, it is getting ridiculous at this point. Just announce the damn East Village site already. Jfc.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Highlander wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:46 am

The owners of the Royals should drop the idea completely and concentrate on marketing/selling a downtown ballpark. It's really too bad the funding cannot come from more counties than just Jackson. Ideally, it would include as many of the 5 major counties in the KC metro as possible to spread the cost around (albeit, Wyandotte would never cooperate). I am not sure the owners are ever going to get what they want if this is left to a Jackson County only vote. Perhaps only under threat to leave to KC. It's up against two major factors in Jackson County: 1. A poorer urban community that doesn't want to spend any more money on taxes and 2. suburbanites that view anything downtown with great suspicion and fear (just read the ridiculous comments on the Save Kauffman Website).
The challenge with receiving assistance from other counties lies in what they expect in return, doesn't it? For instance, if Jackson County or any other county invests in a new stadium, they naturally anticipate reaping the rewards through increased spending within their own boundaries, correct?

I believe that the NKC site was primarily used as a negotiating tool by the Royals to facilitate the development of the EV site. Sherman's vision is centered around creating a stadium that can be considered part of the downtown area, whereas NKC doesn't quite fit that description. Furthermore, I sense that the Royals are interested in participating in the ongoing downtown revitalization efforts that others have already initiated. They don't want to be the pioneers in a completely new area; instead, they want to be a part of the progress that's already been made.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:31 pm
Highlander wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:46 am

The challenge with receiving assistance from other counties lies in what they expect in return, doesn't it? For instance, if Jackson County or any other county invests in a new stadium, they naturally anticipate reaping the rewards through increased spending within their own boundaries, correct?
The primary reward is paying off the stadium and ending the tax that funded construction and debt. That would come much quicker with several counties involved. The citizens of participating counties would also benefit by continuing to have major league baseball in the metro. If the stadium generates revenue for the host county, that could easily be distributed in kind to the counties that supported the tax.

What are the intrinsic benefits Jackson County received by hosting TSC these last 50 years? A now defunct hotel? TSC has been an absolute failure at generating any additional development in east KC.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How did Denver do it? They did it with six counties voting yes for a small tax. The more counties the smaller the tax, the easier it is to pass.

Jackson County may be a relatively large county, but it's a smallish population base to financially support all the stadium venues in metro of 2.3 million which is a relatively small metro.

Bush stadium was helped with the city and county of St Louis. That's 1.3 million people.
Target Field was funded with a tax in a county of 1.3 million.

It's hard enough for Jackson County to do this alone, I can't even imagine Clay County doing a stadium alone. If they try it will probably end up being a AAA stadium after they realize they don't have the budget for what they want. And then they will have a high sales tax and still have crappy infrastructure.

Many cities also get a LOT of help from their states. I'm talking hundreds of millions of dollars worth per stadium from the states alone. I don't think MO would ever do that for KC.

Getting help from Kansas is not possible. And because you can't include the KS side in helping with this kind of stuff, the MO side of KC alone is really small. This is why getting a super stadium like those in Minneapolis, Vegas, Atlanta even Nashville etc won't happen in KC. Little help from the state, no way to get all the MO side counties to chip in and the KS half of the metro just shows up to the party.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:11 am I don't think MO would ever do that for KC.
They are going to. Lucas already said they're demanding MO give the same help to KC that it did to St. Louis for the Cardinals in 2006. We paid for the Cardinals stadium, now they're gonna chip in for ours. I even read something about the State House leader was on board with it, they're just waiting.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:15 am
GRID wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:11 am I don't think MO would ever do that for KC.
They are going to. Lucas already said they're demanding MO give the same help to KC that it did to St. Louis for the Cardinals in 2006. We paid for the Cardinals stadium, now they're gonna chip in for ours. I even read something about the State House leader was on board with it, they're just waiting.
I believe the state only offered tax credits and did some highway ramp work for Busch Stadium.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Rays proposed stadium announced in Tampa-St. Petersburg. Populous designed the facility.

The stadium proposal features a fixed dome, a 30,000 seating capacity and artificial turf. The new ballpark is expected to open in 2028.

The Rays’ 30-year lease on their current stadium, Tropicana Field, will end in 2027. The new stadium, which will have a 30-year lease, will be built near the Trop as part of the redevelopment of downtown St. Petersburg’s Historic Gas Plant District.

Costs for the new stadium are expected to exceed $1.2 billion, with the city of St. Petersburg and Pinellas County covering $600 million. The Rays will be responsible for the rest of the costs.
In January, St. Petersburg Mayor Ken Welch tabbed the Rays and Hines Co. to redevelop the 86-acre Historic Gas Plant District. The redeveloped area will not only include the ballpark but also have housing units, office and medical space, retail space, the Woodson African American Museum of Florida and parking.

Designs for the new ballpark include a pavilion-style roof, “operable walls” to bring the outside in and state-of-the-art amenities. Sternberg said the team plans to hold concerts, graduations and other events at the new stadium.

The agreement on the ballpark is between the Rays, the city of St. Petersburg and Pinellas County and requires approval by the city council and county commission. The Rays hope to break ground before the end of 2024.

https://theathletic.com/4873875/2023/09 ... ana-field/

The site:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lot+5 ... entry=ttu
Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

I'm surprised they finally got a plan together to build a new stadium near the Trop. A lot of people were trying to make it sound like St. Pete was a dealbreaker because, apparently, it "should" be in Tampa since "St. Pete is so far away".