Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by dukuboy1 »

I’d say it’s a mix of support & unsupportive garnering all of the attention and dominating the opinions. There is a very vocal group of unsupportive folks that have seemed to very effectively gotten their opinion to the forefront. The supporters are playing catch up & the Royals leadership have made missteps, making the support message harder. So I’d say you got 35% against it passionately. 30% passionately supporting it. Those 2 players are screaming the loudest on their respective ends. The other 33% are on the fence but I’d say lean toward a new park downtown but are still waiting to get all the facts & figures before they decide. The remaining 2% don’t give a shit either way. Just my take on the situation though & I could be totally wrong. 😀
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

CityScene is saying that Clay County wants Jackson County to pair together with them on a vote, where they get the Royals and Chiefs stay in Jackson County. I believe one user mentioned Clay would try this.

It also confirms:
-road infrastructure would cost even more in the NKC site
-Clay commish says only real benefit is it “could” maybe get the streetcar up there because of increase in property values
-NKC has hired police consultant to see if the security is even feasible

If that’s where the process is at, it proves that Jackson truly has all the leverage in this, and Jackson County needs to say NO and stick with downtown KC. There’s no reason to just hand away the Royals and screw the urban core for literally no reason other than pleasing little Clay.

https://cityscenekc.com/north-kc-ballpa ... t-to-help/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Abject silliness. Also the NKC site plan in the article re-triggered me as re: the lake. Who wouldn't want to take a nice walk around a lake adjacent to I-29.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

smh wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:53 am Abject silliness. Also the NKC site plan in the article re-triggered me as re: the lake. Who wouldn't want to take a nice walk around a lake adjacent to I-29.
Don’t forget they want Jackson County to help subsidize apparently a 4K person venue up there that would kill the Midland downtown. So dumb. They want Jackson to pay for its own demise?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That is idiotic.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Okay, I'm no longer as worried about NKC as I was. It really has been one big joke from them.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 10:26 am Okay, I'm no longer as worried about NKC as I was. It really has been one big joke from them.
The second it became a “serious” option about a 10,000 holes got popped in their site plan. Just wanna know when the Royals want to officially announce though.
SHPNeighbor
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SHPNeighbor »

This is hilarious. Why would Jackson County pay taxes for a stadium in Clay county? Clay county doesn't pay taxes for the current stadiums and wouldn't pay for a new stadium in EV.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

So much speculation. So many IFs here and there.

Basically, they know that Clay alone can't fund the stadium but if both together could have a combined tax then they (hypothetically) get Royals in NKC and whatever the Chiefs want.

That doesn't make sense because its solving a problem that doesn't exist yet.

The Royals have stated so far they are the renewal of the existing sales tax plus TIFs/CID. Jackson County doesn't NEED Clay County, but without JaCO subsidizing their portion Clay's plan seems difficult to make viable.

Build the Royals stadium downtown, renovate Arrowhead, move Sporting to NKC or something and have Clay-Jackson County vote a combined tax for it like the Zoo and I'll vote for it (but I doubt others in Clay would). Call it the KC Area Sports Subsidy. (KC A.S.S.)
Last edited by alejandro46 on Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’m hoping for a Hail Mary where everyone comes to their senses and realizes Chiefs should take that NKC….not a freakin baseball team…maybe they start campaigning for that instead. But I doubt they’ll be that smart because Chiefs have no vision.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Chiefs at the NKC site would be perfect, but it sounds like they are not going to be doing a much more than just a renovation to Arrowhead.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

The article also said Chiefs were eyeing Buffalo's $1.6 bil & Nashville's $2.1 bil stadiums as comps...they do realize they're going to have to do a hella lot more than just a "renovation" to get to that, right? I still contend it seems nonsensical how low the Chiefs are aiming here given what they have.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:20 pm The article also said Chiefs were eyeing Buffalo's $1.6 bil & Nashville's $2.1 bil stadiums as comps...they do realize they're going to have to do a hella lot more than just a "renovation" to get to that, right? I still contend it seems nonsensical how low the Chiefs are aiming here given what they have.
There has been zero hints that the Chiefs are thinking bigger than just a renovation along with new offices, training facilities etc. Another renovation to Arrowhead would probably be mostly structural. I mean they might find a way to add more suites or widen the concourses, but I'm sure they could easily spend a few hundred million on rebuilding much of the concrete, the utilities, the underground stuff, replacing the jumbotrons again etc.

The rest will go to a new training facility and HQ building.

Anything beyond that does not seem to be in the cards. So no entertainment district, hotel, retractable roof, new stadium etc.

And this NKC site is really getting stupid. The Royals need to end the NKC site and concentrate on making the EV site renderings better and put together some real plans and timelines for how they plan to develop the area around the stadium. They are wasting too much time with this NKC site. Maybe they have to because of the Jackson County situation, but I hope they don't drag this out much longer. Those EV renderings have not even changed now for years. They need to go back and refine them and bring more details to the public.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I know I’ve said this ten times, but I just for the life of me cannot understand why the Chiefs, given they’ve brought 2 rings and biggest athlete in the country to Missouri, aren’t asking for the moon here. Missouri would have to give them anything. I truly just don’t understand what is Hunt thinking? It’s just makes no logical sense.

No new stadium, no entertainment site, no new location…notbhing? You have all the leverage in the world and you come out with less than little Buffalo? I truly just don’t get it. Part of me just doesn’t believe that will be it.

Nobody with that much leverage should come out with that little in return unless they were truly an idiot.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:03 pm I know I’ve said this ten times, but I just for the life of me cannot understand why the Chiefs, given they’ve brought 2 rings and biggest athlete in the country to Missouri, aren’t asking for the moon here. Missouri would have to give them anything. I truly just don’t understand what is Hunt thinking? It’s just makes no logical sense.

No new stadium, no entertainment site, no new location…notbhing? You have all the leverage in the world and you come out with less than little Buffalo? I truly just don’t get it. Part of me just doesn’t believe that will be it.

Nobody with that much leverage should come out with that little unless they were truly an idiot.
Because the city/county is not pushing for it. Buffalo needs a new stadium and the city wanted them to move, but the best situation for a small city like that is probably just build new where they are. But keeping the old stadium was not an option. KC is much larger and has a lot more going on than Buffalo and could use a stadium with a retractable roof etc. But KC lacks the leadership to push for something like that.

That's why Nashville is getting it. The city and even the state are all in on building something that will send Nashville to the highest tier of NFL stadiums because the "city" of Nashville and even the state of TN want to do something that will give as much as possible back to the community. Same thing in Jacksonville, but there it seems the city is trying, but the tax payers are not having it.

Again, KC does not have such leadership. There are not even sidewalks on Blue Ridge or a decent bus route to the stadiums. So I'm not even sure KC has any business thinking bigger than a renovation. And the Hunts don't care that much. They just want to make sure Arrowhead remains one of the top venues in the NFL for NFL games. If the city of KC wants more, they would have to push for it. That's where a new NFL stadium in NKC or Paseo West would make sense, but we all know what is going to happen. And I guess it's fine because Arrowhead is still one of the best stadiums. But a super stadium is not going to happen in KC, not with the leadership there and not with little help from Jeff City.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:20 pm The article also said Chiefs were eyeing Buffalo's $1.6 bil & Nashville's $2.1 bil stadiums as comps...they do realize they're going to have to do a hella lot more than just a "renovation" to get to that, right? I still contend it seems nonsensical how low the Chiefs are aiming here given what they have.
The article quoted Clay County booster (and former KCMO councilman) Scott Wagner as saying that IIRC.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:03 pm I know I’ve said this ten times, but I just for the life of me cannot understand why the Chiefs, given they’ve brought 2 rings and biggest athlete in the country to Missouri, aren’t asking for the moon here. Missouri would have to give them anything. I truly just don’t understand what is Hunt thinking? It’s just makes no logical sense.

Nobody with that much leverage should come out with that little in return unless they were truly an idiot.
Because Hunt has expressed his preference to preserve Arrowhead Stadium, and the Chiefs currently have no pressing need for a new venue, the sentiment among long-standing season ticket holders mirrors that of Lambeau Field's esteemed status. Much like how Major League Baseball venerates Wrigley Field and Fenway Park for their historical significance, Arrowhead Stadium is seen as an iconic treasure unlikely to be replaced, barring any catastrophic structural issues.

From a financial standpoint, relocating the football stadium appears to lack a compelling incentive, given the consistent strength of ticket sales. In contrast, the Kansas City Royals face a more pressing need to establish a closer proximity to residential areas in order to boost ticket revenue.

While it's speculative on my part, it seems plausible that the Chiefs may opt to invest nearly a billion dollars in Arrowhead Stadium, preserving its historical character while enhancing its facilities. Potential upgrades could include:

1. Expanding and modernizing the suite offerings, both in terms of quantity and quality.
2. Upgrading stadium lighting to incorporate the latest technology, aligning Arrowhead with newer venues.
3. Constructing a new structure encircling the existing stadium, which would facilitate the opening of current concession areas, widening of concourses, and the creation of brand-new concession spaces.
4. Exploring the possibility of installing an open canopy to shield the 300 level seating from inclement weather, although this presents challenges due to recent press box additions.
5. Developing state-of-the-art training facilities, a top-tier tailgate entertainment area, and modern offices in the space currently occupied by Kauffman Stadium.
6. Build some office space available to lease.

Overall, these investments could further solidify Arrowhead Stadium's status as a premier sports venue while enhancing the fan experience and preserving its rich history.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ yeah, I and don't really see a problem with going this route. I know I mentioned KC not having the leadership to do more, but this is a case where I'm really not sure KC needs "more".

I think doing the right thing with the baseball stadium and improving/expanding transit is a higher priority. Without a lot of help from the state of Missouri (like hundreds of millions of dollars), there is no way KC is going to get a super stadium or retractable dome etc.

It would be amazing if KC were to build a new NFL stadium in NKC or Paseo West or even at the TSC, but is that even remotely financially possible? And even if it were, would it be worth it? I'm not so sure. Getting a new MLB stadium will do wonders for KC and a major renovation and upgrade of Arrowhead might be perfectly fine to go along with a new MLB stadium.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Agreed with all above. Think it would also be great and get voters excited to see those potential upgrades to the fan and player experience as week as better transit to the stadium and improvements to the general area be it new hotels, apartments, sidewalks, streetscapes, etc. That whole interchange and Blue Ridge area needs some work.
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

It's 1st and Goal at the one inch line for EV now IMO.