OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by earthling »

Depending on size of your company, you might be able to encourage them to offer discounted bus passes if they don't already. They benefit from reducing need for parking spaces.
ULCajun
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ULCajun »

earthling wrote:Depending on size of your company, you might be able to encourage them to offer discounted bus passes if they don't already. They benefit from reducing need for parking spaces.
Good call, Sent off an email, said they would look into it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is interesting to hear midtown bus riders talk about the streetcar. Some I've talked to don't get it, others (like me) only see 'free' as the difference, which may not be the case when expanded. Why spend that much when bus gets you from point A to B no differently for much less cost. I try to explain TOD for fixed rail and attracting people to transit but most still don't understand.

I'll continue to take bus as it will probably be faster (as will most people already taking bus) but am 110% in support of expansion for TOD purposes, attracting people to transit and will be good for visitors to get between downtown/Plaza. Commuter rail to burbs will hopefully get broader focus in the process, by people who never thought about it until actually riding streetcar.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Is interesting to hear midtown bus riders talk about the streetcar. Some I've talked to don't get it, others (like me) only see 'free' as the difference, which may not be the case when expanded. Why spend that much when bus gets you from point A to B no differently for much less cost. I try to explain TOD for fixed rail and attracting people to transit but most still don't understand.

I'll continue to take bus as it will probably be faster (as will most people already taking bus) but am 110% in support of expansion for TOD purposes, attracting people to transit and will be good for visitors to get between downtown/Plaza. Commuter rail to burbs will hopefully get broader focus in the process, by people who never thought about it until actually riding streetcar.
yes, you build streetcar because it attracts new riders and shapes development. MAX upgrade from #56/57 did the former, too, but not the latter.

important to remember that UMKC to river market is 8-13K riders, which would instantly be the #1 ridership route in the entire region.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Is interesting to hear midtown bus riders talk about the streetcar. Some I've talked to don't get it, others (like me) only see 'free' as the difference, which may not be the case when expanded. Why spend that much when bus gets you from point A to B no differently for much less cost. I try to explain TOD for fixed rail and attracting people to transit but most still don't understand.

How often do the bus routes they generally take change? If you are just North-South along the MAX, then not that much perhaps. Those around my house have changed at least a few times in the last 7 years, adding different transfers and changing the level of convenience to different parts of the city. Businesses cannot commit to a location based on a bus route. The investment that would immediately start to happen down the Main St. corridor once a streetcar is announced will be quite noticeable. The direct and immovable nature of the route will also increase the value of nearby residential property.

It's like going to Worlds of Fun. If you say you are going to go 10 times in a summer, you may change your mind, but if you spend the money on a season pass, you are way more likely to be committed to going as often as you can. Bus systems can be changed on a dime, but it is really difficult and takes a lot longer to back down from a major investment in fixed rail (I'm guessing). Maybe if it is pitched as a long-term commitment, rather than some major evolution in getting from point A to B, people will appreciated it more.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Bus route changes would impact TOD interest but now with Google Maps transit tracking (or other transit apps), not much of an impact from rider perspective. You just punch in where you want to go and it tells you where to pick up bus and transfer if needed. Very easy now. It's a matter of informing bus timid people that this exists and makes it so much easier.

You can help by taking someone on a day trip journey through KC city core on bus, show them how to take bus and use the phone apps...
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19997
mykn

Post by mykn »

Another way of helping bus timid people would be a way of paying without cash. I finally convinced the wife we could take the Max downtown last weekend only to realize that between the two of us, we didn't have enough cash or change to actually ride. Pay by app would be a huge help for the uber-minded.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That would be ideal but a pricey refresh of all fare boxes.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Agreed. Going forward something like that needs to be in the works though. Cash is becoming far less common for a lot of people.

Edit: On the upside, I did have a few left-over quarters in my pocket from the failed bus ride attempt for the vending machine at work, so that's a plus.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

On a side note, if you put in $5 or $10 in fare box but only getting $1.50 ride, you get a ticket back with remaining balance to use in the future - just swipe it.
mykn

Post by mykn »

I had no idea about that! Does it ever expire? I wouldn't mind loading up a card with 20 bucks or so just to have around.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

And the money doesn't expire for a year!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Right, 1 year. More here on Change Cards...
http://ridekc.org/fares/change-cards

Maybe we should have a Saturday Rag gathering, can teach transit newbies how to ride MAX from RM to Plaza, maybe even Waldo, maybe mix in a bcycle ride. And how to use transit apps. I'd be willing to do this on the condition those taught pass it on to others who never have ridden transit. Or lead future Rag gathering rides.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

This sounds like a great idea as one of the Downtown Neighborhood Association's "walking" tours in the summer months. Just brand it as the "road trip" event and you're set. :-)
mykn

Post by mykn »

That would be awesome! I'd be in.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If there is interest, it would be based on this City Core Day Trip thread or something similar.

See 2nd post for possible trip agenda...
http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19997
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Question: If this route were approved, would it require a new storage yard/maintenance facility? If not, that has to be a decent savings compared to the original project. Do we know what the cost per mile would be for this expansion versus the just completed one?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Is there a smartphone bus fare app anywhere in the US? Like where you could just buy your bus fare on your smart phone and bing the boxy thingy on the red laser binger like when you are getting on an airplane?

Certainly this technology must exist. Doesn't eliminate the cash fare box for people who do not have smart phones, would certainly be the cheapest off-board ticketing plan ever, since the rider has essentially adopted the cost of the off-board ticketing machine by owning a dickhead detector in the first place.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chingon wrote:Is there a smartphone bus fare app anywhere in the US? Like where you could just buy your bus fare on your smart phone and bing the boxy thingy on the red laser binger like when you are getting on an airplane?

Certainly this technology must exist. Doesn't eliminate the cash fare box for people who do not have smart phones, would certainly be the cheapest off-board ticketing plan ever, since the rider has essentially adopted the cost of the off-board ticketing machine by owning a dickhead detector in the first place.
GlobalSherpa makes an app for Tri-Met. You buy your tickets on the app, but then you just show the screen to the driver as you board, no laser bings required.