Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by KCMax »

Sung Son's Vietnamese Bistro has closed and will be replaced by a yet unnamed bar run by The Roadhouse Group.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/03/39 ... awnee.html
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCMax wrote:Sung Son's Vietnamese Bistro has closed and will be replaced by a yet unnamed bar run by The Roadhouse Group.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/03/39 ... awnee.html

Just curious, did anyone else see the level of media coverage, about Sung Sons closing by the health department, as extreme?

Cockroaches are found in restaurants likely every day. It is simply a fact.

Was theirs an especially aggregious situation?

It looked to me, from my relatively uninformed position, that someone had it in for them.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

it sounded to me like it was well beyond the norm. not just cockroaches here and there, but everywhere, including inside bags of food. it sounded like it was totally overrun with roaches.

if that is indeed the norm, we will need to re-evaluate the frequency with which we dine in restaurants. :shock:
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote:it sounded to me like it was well beyond the norm. not just cockroaches here and there, but everywhere, including inside bags of food. it sounded like it was totally overrun with roaches.

if that is indeed the norm, we will need to re-evaluate the frequency with which we dine in restaurants. :shock:

Restaurants, grocery stores, food warehouses and multifamily housing have to be vigilant in their treatment programs for roaches and other pests. It's not that the operators are necessarily being dirty, but there is food present and roaches are constantly being transported into these facilities.

They hitch a ride on the cardboard boxes and other packaging. If operators are not vigilant, it can get bad in a hurry. That is also why many apartment complexes do not allow tenants to store moving boxes on site, with many people getting those boxes from grocery stores. It is also why most storage facilities include "no foodstuffs" in their storage agreements.

There is a fine line between having roaches around and minimizing exposure to treatement chemicals.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Awesome news!

Iconic Westport eatery, the Corner, to reopen this spring
“Our focus is farm to table,” Slaughter said, using fresh, local ingredients when they can get them.

They will serve liquor but it will be things like mimosas, Bloody Marys, bottled beers and inexpensive wines. Their coffee will be French press or regular drip variety.

They don’t want to compete with area bars or espresso coffee shops, they said. Their breakfast and lunch menu from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. will include “all the old standards with some nice gourmet items as well,” Slaughter said.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Crawl for Cancer to move to P&L District because of a lack of bars in Westport?

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/01/1 ... -westport/
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Anywhere raggers discussing the closing of Beaumont?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote:Crawl for Cancer to move to P&L District because of a lack of bars in Westport?

http://www.kcconfidential.com/2013/01/1 ... -westport/
This might be a good thing,
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Agree. Is more evidence Westport is more interested in being a Midtown neighborhood center rather than an obnoxious metro party zone. P&L taking the role has helped Westport improve.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i enjoy that westport has become more of a subdued neighborhood destination than party zone, but it's false that there aren't as many bars. other than america's pub, i dont think a single bar has closed. there are probably 20+ bars within a couple blocks of penn/westport.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It wasn't really referring to fewer bars but rather fewer bars willing to participate in what is apparently an obnoxious event. Kudos to Westport bar owners for pushing it to P&L. P&L needs as many events it can get so everyone wins.

Americas Pub closing has to be the best thing that helped Westport lately. Better than all new recent additions combined.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote: Americas Pub closing has to be the best thing that helped Westport lately. Better than all new recent additions combined.
I agree it has been great but I think the problems are just shifting to other bars in the metro. There was a shooting over the weekend at 30th and Main in a parking lot, this is where that one bar is located that is mainly a black bar. They have had a couple problems in the past at this location as well. Wonder if they will get shut down soon or if the Union Hill neighborhood will get involved
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
earthling wrote: Americas Pub closing has to be the best thing that helped Westport lately. Better than all new recent additions combined.
I agree it has been great but I think the problems are just shifting to other bars in the metro. There was a shooting over the weekend at 30th and Main in a parking lot, this is where that one bar is located that is mainly a black bar. They have had a couple problems in the past at this location as well. Wonder if they will get shut down soon or if the Union Hill neighborhood will get involved
Is this EB's or whatever it is called? Next to Lufti's Fish?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Yeah, thats the place. There has been a string of problems lately, mainly just after 1am. Its kind of funny driving by that place. There will be tourists walking in that place staying at the 2 hotels next door and by the time I drive by, they walk in and quickly walk out realizing the bar is mainly just a black person bar.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^Yeah, thats the place. There has been a string of problems lately, mainly just after 1am. Its kind of funny driving by that place. There will be tourists walking in that place staying at the 2 hotels next door and by the time I drive by, they walk in and quickly walk out realizing the bar is mainly just a black person bar.
Interesting. I've always wanted to check it out--but I have no appetite for places with violence issues. I'd rather just have some delicious fish from Lufti's.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^Yeah, thats the place. There has been a string of problems lately, mainly just after 1am. Its kind of funny driving by that place. There will be tourists walking in that place staying at the 2 hotels next door and by the time I drive by, they walk in and quickly walk out realizing the bar is mainly just a black person bar.

"Nightclub" -- interesting.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/14/40 ... at-kc.html
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I was just at EB about a week and a half ago - there was some dancing going on, but I would hardly call it a nightclub. I guess if you call Gilhouleys or Chez Charlie a nightclub. This is a dive bar with a pool table or two and a jukebox, and an occasional DJ in the corner, just like the two places I just mentioned.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

voltopt wrote:I was just at EB about a week and a half ago - there was some dancing going on, but I would hardly call it a nightclub. I guess if you call Gilhouleys or Chez Charlie a nightclub. This is a dive bar with a pool table or two and a jukebox, and an occasional DJ in the corner, just like the two places I just mentioned.
That's what I figured, just curious the Star referred to it as a nightclub... I suspect because no one at the Star has ever been to it.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Thanks kboish.

Interesting tidbit for Westport's 'fate:' Manor Square ownership may divide Beaumont Space into Restaurant Retail.