Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
smh
Supporter

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by smh »

I want to be wrong, but I am also feeling like NKC is what's about to happen.

Why?

- Merriman's get what they want
- Moneyed Kansas Citians are overwhelmingly car-brained
- In my non-expert opinion Merriman's are in the KC old boys club in a way that VanTrust is not.
- Talk from JaCo of the penalty for breaking the stadium lease is not the kind of talk that comes from a group that feels they have any sort of hand to play.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

smh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:05 pm I want to be wrong, but I am also feeling like NKC is what's about to happen.

Why?

- In my non-expert opinion Merriman's are in the KC old boys club in a way that VanTrust is not.
- Talk from JaCo of the penalty for breaking the stadium lease is not the kind of talk that comes from a group that feels they have any sort of hand to play.
They're taking soil samples in EV right now, it's adjacent to streetcar and has the ability to charge higher rents. Furthermore it's just obvious from Sherman that he loves urbanism.

I think, as BFA said, NKC is mostly trying to position itself for the next ball to drop. Probably SKC.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If they want a joint Jackson/Clay tax, I’m a no.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:48 pm
smh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:05 pm I want to be wrong, but I am also feeling like NKC is what's about to happen.

Why?

They're taking soil samples in EV right now, it's adjacent to streetcar and has the ability to charge higher rents. Furthermore it's just obvious from Sherman that he loves urbanism.

I think, as BFA said, NKC is mostly trying to position itself for the next ball to drop. Probably SKC.
Just playing devil's advocate, but consider that it really isn't adjacent to streetcar but rather almost a half mile away. A little too far to really take advantage. Also consider that Merriman may have already done soil drilling in NKC before it was on the radar. Lastly, does EV command a higher rent than new development next to a stadium in NKC? Maybe so. But if I can get a similar rent but get away w/ a stick build in NKC vs. a mid/highrise in EV maybe I'm actually making more money up north.

I mean, I definitely want to be wrong. But consider me nervous. This is a city that within the last 3 years built a building downtown that was 60% parking. We fundamentally fail to execute on good urbanism, KC Streetcar excluded.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

smh wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:00 pm But consider me nervous.
At the end of the day I just think Sherman wants to be downtown. He understand the importance of it. You can tell by his statements and how he talks about it.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:06 pm
At the end of the day I just think Sherman wants to be downtown. He understand the importance of it. You can tell by his statements and how he talks about it.
Admittedly I haven't really heard what he's had to say, if anything, as of late. I hope you are correct, even though NKC would be better than Truman, it just isn't the same as a Downtown ballpark. Also we tend to think E/W when we think about what a downtown stadium connects to, which makes sense given most development is to the west. But this new neighborhood would also start to draw people from the east side of the Crossroads which would bode well for all the properties over that way. It is exciting and I hope it happens.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

810 Sports is saying Royals will host a PR event and show renderings of both sites tomorrow at 2:00 PM, from the Royals HoF...
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:06 pm
He does. But, don't underestimate the power that frustrating red tape and politicians have in pushing an owners towards a different option. The NKC option was only born because of these things. If it wasn't for Jackson County dragging its feet and making veiled threats, then construction downtown would already be underway.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:33 pm He does. But, don't underestimate the power that frustrating red tape and politicians have in pushing an owners towards a different option. The NKC option was only born because of these things. If it wasn't for Jackson County dragging its feet and making veiled threats, then construction downtown would already be underway.
But how weak is that?! Sherman is a businessman. Surely, he's had to deal with feet dragging and veiled (if not outright) threats in his business life. I just can't believe he would make a decision based on hurt feelings. A huge pile of cash might be another story, however. We'll have to see the differences in proposals.

I almost wouldn't be surprised to see two simultaneous ballot initiatives with the messaging being that their first choice is Jackson County but if it doesn't pass and the NKC does, they go there. I'm not sure how Jackson County voters would respond to a gun to your head proposal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

2pm tomorrow get to see pretty pictures of both sites
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:31 pm 2pm tomorrow get to see pretty pictures of both sites
Probably "artistic renderings", but better than nothing. I hope the EV site blows away NKC.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I couldn't give a shit about the stadium design tomorrow. All I care about is how much infill/high-rise & activation we're going to see around the stadium. Fingers crossed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:31 pm 2pm tomorrow get to see pretty pictures of both sites
Probably "artistic renderings", but better than nothing. I hope the EV site blows away NKC.
Agreed. Given they don't have a final site they aren't going to have spent money for anything too detailed for 2 sites
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:38 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:10 pm
Agreed. Given they don't have a final site they aren't going to have spent money for anything too detailed for 2 sites
Either way, any day with more information is a good day. I think it’s very cool we are living through this cities great development period.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I'm sure this has already been discussed but how does NKC or Clay County expect to pay for a stadium? Funding would already be a big venture for Jackson County with more than three times the population of Clay County. I would suspect that Clay County's ability to raise revenue from a similar sales tax would be proportional to the population difference between Clay and Jackson County - potentially even less than proportional considering the Crossroads, the Plaza, downtown, Independence Center (the big sales tax generators) .... are all in Jackson County. Unless the owner is going to kick in big money, it seems like an onerous burden for Clay County to go it alone.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:45 pm I'm sure this has already been discussed but how does NKC or Clay County expect to pay for a stadium? Funding would already be a big venture for Jackson County with more than three times the population of Clay County. I would suspect that Clay County's ability to raise revenue from a similar sales tax would be proportional to the population difference between Clay and Jackson County - potentially even less than proportional considering the Crossroads, the Plaza, downtown, Independence Center (the big sales tax generators) .... are all in Jackson County. Unless the owner is going to kick in big money, it seems like an onerous burden for Clay County to go it alone.
I guess all that matters is population, but looking at the GDP of Clay vs Jackson is quite interesting.

Jackson County has almost four times the GDP as Clay County, so the GDP gap is much larger than the population gap. Jackson County does have a lot more retail, probably more than four times Clay with the urban core, eastern suburbs, SKC along state line etc. Clay pretty much has Liberty, Shoal Creek and Gladstone.

https://meric.mo.gov/data/gross-domesti ... county-GDP

Again, maybe it doesn't matter much because this is a sales tax, but yeah, it will be much more of a challenge for a county of 250k to fund a MLB stadium. That might be the smallest county to ever fund something like that. Clay County also probably has the most outdated highway infrastructure in the metro too. Outside of the Bond Bridge, the highways in Clay County seem like they are from the 1960's, so it doesn't get a lot of love from the state.

If Clay and Jackson both pass the same tax rate, wouldn't that raise a lot more money for the Chiefs? Like a LOT more?
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:45 pm I'm sure this has already been discussed but how does NKC or Clay County expect to pay for a stadium? Funding would already be a big venture for Jackson County with more than three times the population of Clay County. I would suspect that Clay County's ability to raise revenue from a similar sales tax would be proportional to the population difference between Clay and Jackson County - potentially even less than proportional considering the Crossroads, the Plaza, downtown, Independence Center (the big sales tax generators) .... are all in Jackson County. Unless the owner is going to kick in big money, it seems like an onerous burden for Clay County to go it alone.
Why are you assuming that the ask from Sherman and the Royals will be so large? Have you not listened to his comments? The org is ready to commit over a billion dollars of private funding towards this. In fact, they're ready to go fully private if it's beneficial enough.

I swear, nobody on this forum listens.

DETAILED renders will be released tomorrow. At least of the EV site.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:33 pm

Why are you assuming that the ask from Sherman and the Royals will be so large? Have you not listened to his comments? The org is ready to commit over a billion dollars of private funding towards this. In fact, they're ready to go fully private if it's beneficial enough.

I acknowledged the potential contribution by the owners. The point was that the size of Jackson County makes any revenue expenditure less painful than the the corollary amount would be in Clay County. Particularly if they are just going to extend a 3/8 cent sales tax. I've read a public contribution of 350 million for a one billion stadium. That's higher than I expected. We will see if it materializes
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Money usually talks. How much is Merriman willing to kick in, if any?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:33 pm

He assumes that because that's what has been said. Their 1B is for the surrounding stuff which will not be as much in NKC. EV will be vertical unlike nkc.

I swear most of us do listen. Some don't for sure