KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Ahh - the troll from Michigan again.  Knew that didn't smell right.  What's your vested interest in the airport praytell?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Having a hub doesn't matter if there are numerous flights to many non-stop destinations across multiple carriers.  It's more work for KCI to maintain that and would be easier if one airline dominated the airport but then it impacts cost of flights for us.  I'm OK with no hub as long as KCI can do their best to have multiple daily flights to as many non-stop destinations as possible.  70 non-stops seems to be a pretty good minimum and they hit that before the industry took a hit last year.

I am disappointed the layout of the airport wasn't significantly modified as planned for the last major upgrade.  The original plan if I recall planned for the outer side of each terminal to be extended so that more services could exist within the secure area and that the entire length of the outer side could be walked within secure area.  They focused more on aesthetic upgrades and a few non-secure services but didn't do much for improving the secure areas except for adding restrooms and a single vendor stand, which was needed but still woefully inadequate.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: i was at a meeting recently with the aviation director from ICT and he told that many in the topeka/lawrence/KC corridor have been driving to his airport to fly to vegas because it's cheaper than flying there from MCI.
It is?  direct?  I've looked for the dates I want to go, it's not...and is that plane even a jet going out of ICT...serious question?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why the hell would somebody drive to Wichita to fly to Vegas to save 50 bucks.  Not that I think people north of Emporia do.  And to Vegas, a city people go to to do nothing but piss money away?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

GRID wrote: Why the hell would somebody drive to Wichita to fly to Vegas to save 50 bucks.  Not that I think people north of Emporia do.  And to Vegas, a city people go to to do nothing but piss money away?
The less you spend on your flight, the more you have to piss.  :lol:
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

KCPowercat wrote: It is?  direct?  I've looked for the dates I want to go, it's not...and is that plane even a jet going out of ICT...serious question?

go to Allegiant Airlines' website for those flights out of Wichita..they are direct and our a big jet!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: It is?  direct?  I've looked for the dates I want to go, it's not...and is that plane even a jet going out of ICT...serious question?
It depends on what day you go. It looks like you can get super cheap deals leaving on strange days/intervals (like megabus). If you want to plan a normal range it's higher than frontier out of MCI. I could see the old couples from Bonner Springs or AKP booking these sorts of deals.

IMHO nothing would be more demoralizing than starting a trip to Las Vegas with a 3 hour drive to Wichita to catch a flight on Allegiant Air (WTF that is).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

trailerkid wrote: It depends on what day you go. It looks like you can get super cheap deals leaving on strange days/intervals (like megabus). If you want to plan a normal range it's higher than frontier out of MCI. I could see the old couples from Bonner Springs or AKP booking these sorts of deals.

IMHO nothing would be more demoralizing than starting a trip to Las Vegas with a 3 hour drive to Wichita to catch a flight on Allegiant Air (WTF that is).
Nothing more demoralizing than ENDING the trip with a 3 hour drive.  I use to do this occasionally when I lived in Amarillo, I'd drive 4 hours to OKC to save on flights to KC and elsewhere (it was expensive flying out of Amarillo).  Not so bad on the way out because you are excited about the trip but tacking that time onto the way home made the travel seem interminable.  It was nearly impossible to stay awake on that drive particularly after skiing...Ski all day, drive to SLC, get on a 2.5 hour flight to OKC, drive back to Amarillo.  Blah. 
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

resurrecting this thread with United announcing nonstop to SF starting in OCT.  the outbound flight competes timewise with Midwest's flight,. but the return provides a convenient 4pm-ish departure from SFO versus Midwest's noon return!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

omenapt wrote: resurrecting this thread with United announcing nonstop to SF starting in OCT.  the outbound flight competes timewise with Midwest's flight,. but the return provides a convenient 4pm-ish departure from SFO versus Midwest's noon return!

Its also timed to coincide for conections to a good chunck of United's Pacific Rim flights. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

STL to essentially lose AA entirely with any semblance of being hub as AA to significantly reduce presence.  This is not good for STL or MO.  Mergers are wonderful, eh?

http://www.kansascity.com/502/story/1460727.html

This could harm KC as well because STL will be pursuing more Southwest flights, which KC will have to battle for.  KC will likely lose out to some flights that go to STL.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

MCI is ranked 34 and down to 2003 level of passengers at about 9.8m. KC peaked at over 11.5m passengers just a couple years ago.

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.a ... ernational

STL is currently ranked 31, probably down to lowest level of passengers in decades at about 12.3m.  With the significant AA reduction, they may lose another 1-2 million passengers/year unless another carrier offsets.

http://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports.a ... ernational

KC could continue to lose too, competing with STL for flights.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

Midwest is re-introducing seasonal nonstop service to Ft Meyers and expect to hear more from them as the new owners try to rebuild the carrier here and Milwaukee!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Hopefully Midwest can pickup as a top 5 carrier again.  If you look at the MCI link above, they are no longer a top 5 carrier at MCI.  If you set back to Jan 2007, they were 3rd largest carrier with 10% of KCI traffic.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mci or some sort of governing body should subsidize Midwest's expansion in this market. that airline is pretty much universally loved by all and KC is/was lucky to have them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So when did Southwest change their flights to/from Las Vegas?  I was just now trying to book my standard leave KC at 5pm direct to vegas and back direct at like 11am and those flights are no longer there....and the new options are horrible.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

I agree, SW flights to/from St Louis have terrible times now too.

I heard a rumor that Midwest is going to resume it's direct flight to/from Madison, WI.  Maybe that indicates some of the other times & cities are going to return as well?  Keeping my fingers crossed....
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/6275

Midwest to add flights to Columbus, New Orleans

Here you go KCMax, one less excuse for not making it back to The Horseshoe come fall. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/6275

Here you go KCMax, one less excuse for not making it back to The Horseshoe come fall. 
And miss out on my wonderful yearly drive past Effingham, Terre Haute and Dayton? Never.

Doesn't Midwest know we don't have enough eating options at KCI?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/6275

that's awsome, there hasn't been a direct flight to NO since Katrina.