OFFICIAL: West Edge/Plaza Vista development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL: West Edge development

Post by KC-wildcat »

Midtownkid wrote: They just won some McDonald's contracts.  Those pay big I'm sure.
I also believe they just landed the Petsmart account. 
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Bernstein will find a way to make it work...even if it means getting Walton to start work and then not pay them.  He's not hurting on funds - he's had at least some of the McD's business for decades.  This is the guy who invented the Happy Meal (and will never let anyone forget it).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The problem didn't seem to Bernstein running out of money, it seemed to be that he was, um, difficult to work with.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

dangerboy wrote: The problem didn't seem to Bernstein running out of money, it seemed to be that he was, um, difficult to work with.
And doesn't pay for work completed.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

dangerboy wrote: The problem didn't seem to Bernstein running out of money, it seemed to be that he was, um, difficult to work with.
You're right - I just didn't state my case very well.  I think Walton is going to have some 'difficulties' with Bernstein, as well, but maybe they'll knock the rest of the construction out before it gets to that point.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

It looks like new tower cranes are going up....
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Various hardhats scurrying around today, for the first time in any significant numbers in ages.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Alright!  Lets get this shit done!
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Despite all the craziness going on around this project, I hope this gets finished so its not just standing there. 
BSykes
Pad site
Pad site

Post by BSykes »

geeman68 wrote: Despite all the craziness going on around this project, I hope this gets finished so its not just standing there. 
http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... 00^1786007

From West Edge arbitrators split the difference in the Kansas City Business Journal:

"Trilogy has tapped Walton Construction Co. LLC to resume work on West Edge.

Work appears to be resuming slowly, with a crane erected at the project site recently. Whether subcontractors have contracts to resume work on the project remains uncertain.

The Jan. 26 ruling, obtained by the Kansas City Business Journal , offers a rare glimpse into the private nature of arbitration proceedings and provides details of how JE Dunn and Trilogy embarked on divergent paths over what started out as an $80 million mixed-use development on the west side of the Country Club Plaza..."
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

New photo, from Monday 3/9/09 --

(clickable to photoblog post)

NOTE: Depending on your browser and its settings, the colors displayed may not be precisely how I intended in the final edit. I've been having a tumultuous relationship between Adobe RGB, ProPhoto RGB, and the fact that so many damn browsers don't recognize ProPhoto RGB yet, and Adobe RGB renders colors differently in different editing software. But I relent, back to the West Edge now...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm surprised none of the rest of ya picked up on this before I did...

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... aily3.html

JE Dunn wins award in arbitration against Bernstein.

Hoping this thing doesn't end up as our version of the Ryugyong Hotel.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Tosspot wrote: Hoping this thing doesn't end up as our version of the Ryugyong Hotel.
Wow, I hear you on that one!  Most people have no clue, but the Ryugyong would've been quite the building of its time (especially for that part of the world), had it been finished.  Lets hope JE Dunn has some heart.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Wow, I hear you on that one!  Most people have no clue, but the Ryugyong would've been quite the building of its time (especially for that part of the world), had it been finished.  Lets hope JE Dunn has some heart.
Has some heart? Why? This isn't a public building and Bernstein has been trying to screw everyone on this project over since day one. JEDunn is in the business of making money and paying it's employees. I'm not a huge fan of Dunn but I have no problem with what they are doing here. Bernstein had it coming.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

shinatoo wrote: Has some heart? Why? This isn't a public building and Bernstein has been trying to screw everyone on this project over since day one. JEDunn is in the business of making money and paying it's employees. I'm not a huge fan of Dunn but I have no problem with what they are doing here. Bernstein had it coming.
I wasn't referring specifically to this project, but rather to JE Dunns long history of screwing everyone it can here in KC to ensure that they're the only ones to turn a profit.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

im2kull wrote: I wasn't referring specifically to this project, but rather to JE Dunns long history of screwing everyone it can here in KC to ensure that they're the only ones to turn a profit.
I thought that's the way business is done everywhere.

8)

photoblog. 

Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Even as incomplete buildings at West Edge sit evermore absent construction activity, creditors are scrambling to get paid in bankruptcy, and the developer is pitching the project for sale and sweating the coming winter.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... tory2.html
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

geeman68 wrote: Despite all the craziness going on around this project, I hope this gets finished so its not just standing there.  
So much for hopes. Can they at least put some blue tarps on top to keep the elements out?

This thing is a total disaster.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Bet the West Plaza Neighborhood Association meetings are total bitchfests.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Steve52 wrote: So much for hopes. Can they at least put some blue tarps on top to keep the elements out?
Make it different colors and call it a piece of art.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.