Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Someone mentioned the reason why Americas Pub was so sketchy was because a bunch of thugs would just sit out in the parking lots on 40th and Mill, never go inside, hound women and cause trouble. Wonder if this is still the case now that Americas Pub is closed.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Anyone know what's going on with Wesport Icehouse building (4144 Penn)? Was told they are doing some kind of construction there.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

They've had 4 different permits issued since January. One states "Interior non-structural demolition work only, no build back. [If the building is occupied, no demolition of life-safety systems is permitted (e.g. stair enclosures, shafts, fire sprinklers, corridors serving occupied areas, etc).]", but another made it sound like they were reinforcing steel beams... so maybe gutting and then reinforcement?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I noticed today that a Freebirds World Burrito's is moving into the strip mall next to the Q Hotel, alongside Westport Rd. Sorry if already posted.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I believe Joyce Smith (link?) said just the other day that Freebirds is moving into the old Chili's space.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

smh wrote:I believe Joyce Smith (link?) said just the other day that Freebirds is moving into the old Chili's space.
OMG! If that is true, that would be awesome. I love Freebirds and I know MANY people that would dump Chipotle for them. Woot!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

thegeester68 wrote:
smh wrote:I believe Joyce Smith (link?) said just the other day that Freebirds is moving into the old Chili's space.
OMG! If that is true, that would be awesome. I love Freebirds and I know MANY people that would dump Chipotle for them. Woot!
OMG, do you own the franchise!?

Hate to be snarky, but you are generally better off in the long run here being forthright with such affiliations. Please still update, but 2 posts and a huge endorsement for a new restaurant is always suspicious. Sorry if I am off base. Welcome to the forum!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Stopped by El Rancho today for lunch and they were closed - sign on the door said El Rancho was moving back to Columbia, MO.

On a side note, my partner and I decided to try the Bread for All tandoori cafe next door and had a terrible experience: they screwed up his order and had to go back to the owner twice to get the right food and the owner was very unapologetic, rude and pretty much threw the food on the table at which point I said loudly we'd never be back. And it took over an hour for a schwarma sandwich and gyro sandwich combo that were only average.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

kcjak wrote:Stopped by El Rancho today for lunch and they were closed - sign on the door said El Rancho was moving back to Columbia, MO.
competition from the food trucks?
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

pstokely wrote:
kcjak wrote:Stopped by El Rancho today for lunch and they were closed - sign on the door said El Rancho was moving back to Columbia, MO.
competition from the food trucks?
...or watching Freebirds World Burrito getting ready to open and seeing the writing on the wall. We are currently in mourning at the loss of El Rancho. :(
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I almost ate at a Freebirds in San Antonio once, but it looked pretty bad and I refrained. Doubt I'll be inclined to visit this one.

Sucks to lose El Rancho, although I almost never saw anyone in there. I wondered how they kept it going.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Port Fonda opening may impact them as well. And then there is Cancun Fiesta in Westport that has street tacos (though just OK).

---

Looking back at original point of thread in retrospect, we were all wondering how P&L would impact Westport and seems most would agree that P&L actually helped Westport. Westport is no longer the obnoxious metro party zone that is used to be (for the most part), the closing of Americas Pub seems to have helped late night problems and Westport overall has come together as more of a Midtowner neighborhood. It still attracts many from the metro/visitors but it's purpose now feels more neighborhood oriented rather than to primarily cater to the metro/tourists, specifically the party crowd.

Now the Westport Association needs to start focusing on the eastern side of Westport Rd. Any suggestions? Why can't it get it together? I'm thinking it just needs one high quality tenant (that would appeal to Midtowners) and then more would follow. The new apt building going in old XO spot should help too.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

heh, never realized there was an El Rancho in KC...I remember a few El Rancho Nites...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

earthling wrote:Looking back at original point of thread in retrospect, we were all wondering how P&L would impact Westport and seems most would agree that P&L actually helped Westport.
Yeah, another thing I have noticed is that the people in from out of town looking to party, who, as far back as I can remember, used to always ask for directions to Westport, now ask for directions to P&L 99% of the time.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Turn former Osco into either Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Everything else would change for the better after...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

...or Cosentino's. Or even relocate the damn Mill Street Sun Fresh, tear down that awful suburban shit, and build something nice.

A guy can dream.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

mean wrote:I almost ate at a Freebirds in San Antonio once, but it looked pretty bad and I refrained. Doubt I'll be inclined to visit this one.

Sucks to lose El Rancho, although I almost never saw anyone in there. I wondered how they kept it going.
I never saw them as crowed as the Columbia location after the bars closed
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

Anecdote alert: At the behest of a buddy, I paid a random visit tonight to "Kanza Hall" -- Rosana Square's newest answer to quenching suburbia's nightlife thirst. Wow.

Went with two other single buddies and decided to abandon the usual schtick and try a little social experiment. I eased my way over to two girls, told them we were in town for the All Star Game and asked them if we were close to Westport, as we had gotten lost. They proceeded to let me know that Westport is "for the weirdos" and that if we wanted to head into the city, to go to the Shark Bar at P&L. I responded amusedly saying that I'd gladly head over to the "weirdos" area if it meant escaping a two-stepping country bar situated next to a grocery store in a Kansas strip mall that was only confirming all of the worst Midwest stereotypes.

On the way out, I decided I'd pose the question again to the girl checking IDs at the front. She responded with a look of utter confusion, as if I just asked her for directions in Chinese. The bouncer, without hesitation, chimed in to let me know that Westport is the right place to be if I'm looking for "stabbings, shootings and violence." I told him that where I'm from, I'd gladly take that over a country bar surrounded by parking lots. He was less than amused and referred to me as his "favorite little turd" (those witty bouncers!). I asked if every Kansas fucker speaks like that, and, well, I honestly don't even recall his response.

So, between two conversations, I was told to avoid the weirdos, stabbings, shootings and violence that is Westport. As far as I'm concerned, I'm happier about P&L stealing the wandering suburbanites away from Westport than I am about its contribution to the decline of the Westport riffraff.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, westport is where everyone gets shot while enjoying cassoulet and foie gras.