KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote:
earthling wrote:Via text from River Market friend, sounds like delays earlier today with frustrated overpacked crowds, trains bunched together a times. Did 50K for Rockfest in addition to very high City Market crowd overload the system? Are all 4 trains running? No buses as backup plan?
three cars running 7a-4p tomorrow (sunday). that's more than the 'normal' schedule of two all day.

as for overcrowding, there's isn't much to be done in the short term (other than adding buses, which was not budgeted beyond grand opening). the fourth car was always intended to be a spare, which allows needed maintenance of the whole fleet. a potential fifth vehicle would take 18-24 months to deliver and is also not budgeted.

can't even charge a fare since there's no equipment to do so. i really did not predict it to be quite so popular! you can help by getting yourselves on/off the vehicles quickly.

rest assured that any transit route this overloaded will experience delays. passenger loading/unloading are typically the #1 source of delays.
So I did a quick and dirty calculation comparing adding extra car vs controlling traffic lights. If doing 4 cars that take 20min end to end not controlling traffic lights vs 3 cars that take 15min controlling traffic lights it's a draw in terms of moving people per hour but the advantage of controlling lights rather than adding another car is that you'd get to destination faster, which is especially important to weekday lunch riders.

How long is it taking to get from US to RM on busier times? It seems more like 25M when packed. Could maybe be 15M or so if controlling lights depending to what degree.

Overflow bus otherwise seems to be relatively easiest/cheapest tactical way to address busiest times, but given the streetcar org isn't associated with KC ATA...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think its just growing pains and excitement.... Doesn't seem that much of a problem to really do much about it... Although ordering 805 would probably be a good move.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

WHY ISN'T IT PERFECT RIGHT NOW?!?!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:. i really did not predict it to be quite so popular! you can help by getting yourselves on/off the vehicles quickly.
There a scene in History of the World, Part 1 where a guy's title is given.

He's a "bullshit artist"

You've been selling this as transformational with massive building growth along the line coming and said all the planning was extremely conservative.

It's completely fair to not have expected so much use. But to follow that with "just get on quicker" is insulting to one of the key reasons the line was built with level boarding, to support people that are going to be slow. Wheelchair users. I watched the driver try to close the doors on a clearly disabled guy with arm braces on one ride. I don't mean in front of, to close them with him straddling the door as he was walking out.

Was operations just not designed in a way that it can function for the disabled at current capacity?

It's time to order more trains. With all your statements about taxes coming in over projections is there a better use than to be prepared with more capacity? The worst thing that can be done is to do nothing today and have all this money sitting around. That's the quickest way to see system use crash. But to say that a train has been ordered and we have to be patient is another. Either that or give up on having a spare, which I don't like the idea of.

It's time to be proactive. Order two more trains so we don't get #5 in 2018 and demand means we need another immediately.

The number of trains is proving to be a constraint on the entire transit network. At current demand the starter line is going to slow down the ability to build rail on the rock island line. It doesn't help grow bus ridership if it's too full to rely on. It's going to limit developer interest in TOD.

It's not just about fitting people onto the train. Not ordering more within a couple of months is going to impact the city for a decade or more.

It's time to stop planning so conservatively.

Floodgates on transit were opened up, it's time to do what it takes to support this change.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes, we should make all of our decisions based on the first week of operation.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

flyingember wrote:It's going to limit developer interest in TOD.
Too many people in the area is going to limit developer interest? Not sure about that...

Demand should be for signal priority right now. If that doesn't work then we can talk about another car. But, now is the time to get signal priority turned on, when there's a ton of people riding and there are delays. The powers that be should be listening.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

My wife and I rode for the first time Friday night, parking at 3rd & Grand and taking it to see a movie at Alamo Drafthouse. We loved it and immediately thought of a few scenarios it solves for us, plus several more if it ever gets extended to the Plaza or UMKC. It was getting lots of use and it was obvious everyone on board was enjoying it.

Some of our observations & constructive criticisms:
  • The ride from RM to the theater (~8:30pm) was standing room only for the most part. The ride back (~11:15pm) was not as full but was still pretty busy.
  • Maybe it's different during the day, but I had figured River Market North would be one of the busier stops. Instead, we were the only people using it on the outbound ride, and only one person was waiting there when we returned.
  • Meanwhile the North Loop stop was rather busy both times. I would have thought this stop would be barely used at all. I wonder where the people here were coming from?
  • We could not find the "Request Stop" buttons at all during the first ride, and briefly thought they were what actually turned out to be the emergency exit release handles. Not that it mattered, since there were people waiting to board at every stop.
  • We did find the "Request Stop" buttons during the ride back when it was less full, though they were not accessible from our seats. They're not nearly as convenient as the cord everyone is used to on the bus. Again, though, not a real issue as busy as it was.
  • The portion between 12th Street and 7th Street was excruciatingly slow in both directions. It truly seemed like it might be faster to walk. Too long lingering at the stops, too many red lights, and a couple of mid-block stops for no readily apparent reason.
  • Is it possible to make the interior lights dimmer at night? I know they need to be on for safety and security, but it's a bit unnerving not being able to see much out the windows to know where you are and have to rely on the overhead announcements.
  • It makes no sense to me that the doors don't open automatically. This seems to be part of what slows it down at the stops, people stand there waiting (both inside and outside) because they don't realize they have to activate the doors themselves.
  • It was amusing watching one rider get startled by unexpected splits due to standing one of the joints during the turn onto 5th Street.
  • It would be nice if there were hand sanitizer dispensers. (JUST KIDDING!!!!!) :lol:
On Sunday my JoCo parents, in their late 60s, parked at Union Station and used it to go shopping at the City Market. I have a feeling this will be their go-to method from now on.
Last edited by scooterj on Mon May 16, 2016 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Good observations that are worth factoring to improve service.
grovester wrote:Yes, we should make all of our decisions based on the first week of operation.
There are some clear improvements that could be made even based on first week of observations but overall it's a great start considering that crowds by far exceeded expectations. Nothing wrong looking at ways to improve and which might be most optimal - not immediate decisions. I personally would like to see traffic light priority over another streetcar added. If after a month lunchtime crowds still very large with lots of complaints not able to get back to work in time, finding a way to fund overflow ATA bus might be worth looking into for lunchtime runs. If people use city bus for first time for free, they may be encouraged to try other lines to get to Westport/Plaza and elsewhere.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

scooterj wrote:[*]We could not find the "Request Stop" buttons at all during the first ride, and briefly thought they were what actually turned out to be the emergency exit release handles. Not that it mattered, since there were people waiting to board at every stop.
[*]We did find the "Request Stop" buttons during the ride back when it was less full, though they were not accessible from our seats. They're not nearly as convenient as the cord everyone is used to on the bus. Again, though, not a real issue as busy as it was.
[*]It makes no sense to me that the doors don't open automatically. This seems to be part of what slows it down at the stops, people stand there waiting (both inside and outside) because they don't realize they have to activate the doors themselves.
As they used to announce on the trains in Germany, "Tueren schliessen selbsttaetig." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lcjP8gbAc

I think for these initial "getting to know you" months, it would be wise to instruct the drivers to stop at every station and to open and close all the doors at every station.

We had a team lunch expedition from 12th/ Main to City Market on Thursday, May 12 btw -- so that was 16 of last Thursday's rides. The streetcar was speedy in both directions. We skipped one station in each direction, which might have been a little unnerving if a passenger didn't know to signal a stop request.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I think the doors not opening automatically may be something we just need to get used to. In the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter, you definitely don't want all of the doors opening at every stop when nobody or just a few people get off at a stop. It only takes one or two rides to figure things out, and I feel like people who have ridden light rail and streetcars in other cities will pick it up right away. Ideally, there would be a weather limitation on when the doors automatically open, and they could automatically open between 55 and 80 degrees and when it isn't raining/sleeting/snowing/windy, but that would be a challenge. Smart City future smarts upgrade?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

monday 5/16 - 2,495
tuesday 5/17 - 3,377

https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 6236178433

my prediction is that we'll settle in at the estimated average for weekdays, but weekends will boost the overall average. as more residential units and offices locate along the line, obviously the off-peak usage will creep up (as was estimated).

people are getting used to the stop buttons and requesting the doors to open.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not bad considering rainy/dreary days.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

How were the numbers Saturday and Sunday? I saw a list that had the numbers through last Friday, but I haven't seen anything with Rockfest numbers.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote:How were the numbers Saturday and Sunday? I saw a list that had the numbers through last Friday, but I haven't seen anything with Rockfest numbers.
saturday 5/14 - 10,479 https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 1107026944
sunday 5/15 - 6,460 https://twitter.com/kcstreetcar/status/ ... 4548214784

sunday demand is really interesting. they decided to run a third car (two is the normal schedule on sundays/holidays) until late afternoon. expect that to continue throughout the summer.

secretary of transportation anthony foxx will be in town friday for a smart cities tour and will ride for the first time. he'll be the highest ranking federal official to ride thus far. he will also tour the prospect corridor, since that is part of the smart cities challenge grant application.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here we go....
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ne ... 02182.html

#umkcby2022 the official hashtag?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Has most of the kinks leading to long wait times and backups along the line been worked out? My daughter has a dance recital at the Music Hall this weekend and with Planet Comicon also going on I might avoid Barney Allis and park at the River Market and take the train instead. I'd hate to sit at RM for 30 minutes waiting for a ride though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When it's raining/dreary, should be lower volume. For major events, expect potential long waits and City Market is always busy weekends morning/afternoon. If wait is too long, you can take MAX bus from 3rd/Grand (near the bike station), which goes right by Musical Hall. Bus is $1.50 for 2 hour transfer or $3 day pass.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

shaffe wrote:Has most of the kinks leading to long wait times and backups along the line been worked out? My daughter has a dance recital at the Music Hall this weekend and with Planet Comicon also going on I might avoid Barney Allis and park at the River Market and take the train instead. I'd hate to sit at RM for 30 minutes waiting for a ride though.
Those delays are pretty rare and seem to happen a lot at lunch for some reason.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Can we put in an order for another car?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the 'delays' most people are seeing are due to inaccurate arrival times on the displays. if you see a wait time that's longer the 15 minutes displayed, something is probably wrong with the data. people are working on it, and the arrival times may disappear completely again until there's confidence in their accuracy.