OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by voltopt »

chrizow wrote: that area wasn't public before.  it's not like we turned Penn Valley Park over to Cordish.  private land was sold to private landowners, albeit with the aid of the city.  people might like a "courtyard" area to be public because it "feels" public, but it simply isn't, whether Cordish owns/controls the surrounding 5 blocks or not.  the patio area at Grinders isn't "public" even though it is large, open, they have concerts there, etc.  if they wanted to, they could prevent me from carrying leftovers from another venue there, or kick me out for being a dbag.  it's true that the Cordish district has more of a "public" feel to it, but that is just because they have done a decent job making people feel like it's a part of the city.
I completely agree.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

So new no tenant announcements.  Not looking good.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^And apparently KC has one person who proudly self-quotes while simultaneously misspelling voila.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

ignatius wrote: ^And apparently KC has one person who proudly self-quotes while simultaneously misspelling voila.
What was the point of this?
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The fact that Cordish cannot procure these remaining retail tenants is pretty disconcerting.

Actually, very disconcerting.

How many months now have we gone without an announcement of any sort?
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

MidtownCat wrote: The fact that Cordish cannot procure these remaining retail tenants is pretty disconcerting.

This is really what we should be talking about. Problem is Cordish hasn't lived up to their end of the deal and they need to pay for it.
Unless the city was dumb enough to sign off on the district without guarantee of tenants.

The future of this place scares me just about as much as everything else going on in the world right now.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCLover wrote: More people bitch here about pity things and that goes hand and hand with sophistication.
Point being Las Vegas has dress codes, but there isn't a city council uproar and a whole city uproar about it. The difference is Las Vegas has sophistication whereas Kansas City does not. Something here gets done about something that any other city has been doing for years and everybody gets their panties in a twist. Think about it.
Hit the nail on the head.  KC leadership, especially KCMO and Jackson County is about a "sophisticated" as some blue collar guy from Buckner.  Not that it's a bad thing, but it's a major problem in KC when it comes to foward thining, urbanism etc.  Jackson County is run by a bunch of hicks and KCMO, a city of half million people have a guy that should be mayor of Raymore running it.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KCLover wrote: The future of this place scares me just about as much as everything else going on in the world right now.
yeah, the future of the power and light district i know is up there on my list of concerns with liberating our country from crude oil, the state of african poverty, and the distant but looming threat of WW3 breaking out in the middle east.
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

This is a good move by the city, after all it was voted on by and for the whole city. The whole city should benefit from the power and white district not just the district.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Actually I don't recall voting on the P&L.  At least not the Cordish version.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

MidtownCat wrote: The fact that Cordish cannot procure these remaining retail tenants is pretty disconcerting.

I was thinking maybe the retail is waiting for the theatres to go live as an anchor for the west end of the P+L.  I'm still under the impression that we may get some good destination shops instead of a slew of Jos. A Bank peers. 

I'm also curious why all the P+L marketing ("turn me on" etc.) is exclusively geared at the bar and nightlife crowd. Will the marketing effort change when the other blocks open up or does Cordish only care about the nightlife and restaurant operations?
Last edited by trailerkid on Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

From the KU boards today:

And So It Was I got falsely reprimanded at the Power & Light District

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently I look like some dude that was causing a bunch of trouble, because about 6 dudes in yellow vests came up to me right after purchasing a 6 dollar beer and hauled my ass out of there.  I tried to ask for reasons as to why this was occuring, but they were being complete douches about it all.  They said that it was the manager's request that I be removed from the area.   It actually caused a little bit of a scene because my friends knew I was being falsely accused so they were yelling and my friend's fiancee started crying. 

Turns out, I got kicked out for supposedly jumping over rails (which I obviously wasn't doing).  I was a little tipsy at the time, so I said something like, "Do I look like a ninja to you?"   They didn't find this amusing and told me and my friends to leave the premisis immediately.

The reason I am so angry about this is because we were celebrating my friend's fiancee's birthday and we had only been there about 30 minutes and got kicked out for no reason.  Also, it wasn't like some guy came up to me to talk to me about the situation... It was a full out raid on me in which one guy chicken winged me in a forceful manner.

I am thinking about calling up the manager to demand an apology...

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2488&t=2605679
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Maitre D wrote: It actually caused a little bit of a scene because my friends knew I was being falsely accused so they were yelling and my friend's fiancee started crying. 
crying?  b/c your fiancee's friend was kicked out of the P+L after 30 minutes?  :lol:

i would not be surprised to learn that the P+L security is a bit over-the-top, though.  people in that line of work often seem to take themselves a bit too seriously.  (see also: westport security.  my friends had guns pulled on them by westport security because they were having a snowball fight).
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

It's a requirement that if you're going to be a security guard, you have to be a dickhead.

The P&L is overrated IMO. Why go to a place and drop shit tons of money and stand in line for a drink for a half hour? I try to stay away from there if I can.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

oh yeah I would definitely be in the manager's ear on that one.  probably be up at the cordish office first thing this morning. 

that sucks for that guy and his party.  I would be pissed too..hopefully he does more than just whine on a message board.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

where do you have to wait 1/2 hour for a drink?

crowds will start to even back out soon...everybody is just excited to check it out this summer.  right now it is much more enjoyable on weeknights.

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Maitre D wrote: Turns out, I got kicked out for supposedly jumping over rails (which I obviously wasn't doing).  I was a little tipsy at the time, so I said something like, "Do I look like a ninja to you?"   They didn't find this amusing and told me and my friends to leave the premisis immediately.
Well, maybe he shouldn't not be jumping over rails in the first place!

(No typo.  I really did use a double negative.)
KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

chrizow wrote: crying?  b/c your fiancee's friend was kicked out of the P+L after 30 minutes?   :lol:

i would not be surprised to learn that the P+L security is a bit over-the-top, though.  people in that line of work often seem to take themselves a bit too seriously.  (see also: westport security.  my friends had guns pulled on them by westport security because they were having a snowball fight).

The problem I have with P&L (as I stated earlier) - is the absolute power the security has.  They can merely make an accusation, and BAM!   The patron is thrown out.  There is no recourse for the customer.  I get that if it's a slobbering drunk.  But if the person is calm, why does he have ZERO recourse?

The story I relayed earlier, had 2 guards essentially shoving a guy out of hte P&L.   The patron wans't drunk or unreasonable to our knowledge.   False accusations don't fly in American.   They shouldn't fly here.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so you have a problem with any bar in america?  they can all throw you out and you have zero recourse at that time.  seen it happen all over the place.

doesn't mean that guy shouldn't be having discussions with management as to how he was treated.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That is way over the top. If some security asshole comes up and asks me to leave because I am suspected of doing something I didn't do, fine, you know, I'll protest my innocence as I'm walking away, but that's it. I'll just go spend my money somewhere else and put in a call to the manager. But it sounds like they came up and grabbed this dude...if that's the case, Cordish needs to train these punks not to touch people, or someone is going to get hurt.
Maitre D wrote: False accusations don't fly in American.  They shouldn't fly here.
Come on, where's your Libertarian sensibility? This is private property.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin