Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Cratedigger »

I just wish there was an actual proposal on the table before the city actually gives the land to Van Trust. Have Van Trust spend their time right now trying to buy from the private land bankers interviewed in this article. Based on the chart tweeted out by Collison, it doesn't look to me like they've bought any additional land over there in the past year and a half

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -land.html
Here's a breakdown of the East Village's land ownership as depicted through the city's parcel viewer:
  • Kansas City owns about 5.7 acres of vacant land and surface parking lots across several East Village blocks.
  • VanTrust owns approximately 6.5 acres throughout the area, composed of land, surface lots, and a few buildings, such as the Blackstone Hotel and the former Della C. Lamb charter school building.
  • JTB Properties LLC and 612kcmo LLC, which share a Lee's Summit address, own about 2.2 acres, which consist of a multifamily building in the area's northwest wing and surface parking.
  • Community Builders of Kansas City, as Swope Community Builders now is known, owns roughly 1.3 acres that house the $12 million, 50-unit East Village Apartments, an affordable housing project completed in 2011.
  • An affiliate of GF Properties Group LLC, of Durango, Colorado,owns a 1.1-acre parking lot southeast of 9th and Cherry streets.
  • The city's Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority owns about 0.3 acres in the area's northwest corner.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The city did exactly what you’re saying. In 2020 they gave Van Trust a 10yr option to buy this land (still not executed) for a 2020 price in exchange for Van Trust pursuing and buying out the remaining parcel in EV. Van Trust said they have spent about $12 million consolidating parcels since that time. They can’t force others to sell.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... llage.html

This article shows them buying up several properties after they received their option for the kcmo property
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

kboish wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:24 pm https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... llage.html

This article shows them buying up several properties after they received their option for the kcmo property
Great to hear. Thanks for the info
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Last edited by langosta on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

No we are not. Cities are expressly jockeying for an expansion team.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

"Rocky Mountain Power District" sounds derivative from somewhere.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I like that design with the water behind. Throw a fountain in that bad boy and let's throw that in east village
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

The outfield opening up onto a pond is an interesting idea
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Seems like a big waste of space for what we intend to be a dense urban neighborhood (and for that matter, seems like a waste of water for Utah)
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I do like the boning on the roof structure for that stadium. It almost feels like a ships hull or timber frame construction. Let's steal that.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

phuqueue wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:04 pm Seems like a big waste of space for what we intend to be a dense urban neighborhood (and for that matter, seems like a waste of water for Utah)
yeah thinking more about it not a great use of space where we are putting it. If there was a way to tighten it up and get a fountain element into it I still could see it as a cool feature.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

as climate and ecological disaster draws nigh, perhaps we should consider implementing a system to store the tears of our vanquished enemies in order to fill the fountain feature in kauffman 3.0 for its grand opening in 2091. i think i speak for all of us when i express my regret at the missed opportunity to load up on our own tears during the tony pena jr / yunieskiy betancourt era
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:15 pm The outfield opening up onto a pond is an interesting idea
Maybe Golf Ball Pauls will start a spinoff.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I can't begin to tell you that not only is SLC not in the expansion race at all, the Royals are not moving & I'm starting to figure out that MLB might be out of the business of relocation til international expansion happens, if ever.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:59 pm I can't begin to tell you that not only is SLC not in the expansion race at all, the Royals are not moving & I'm starting to figure out that MLB might be out of the business of relocation til international expansion happens, if ever.
Nashville, Charlotte or Austin - pick 2 and take MLB to 32 teams?
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Remove Austin & insert Portland, OR. Seems like those are the 3 frontrunners & I doubt they pick two teams that take away from Atlanta territory. Both Nashville & Charlotte are good built in rivals for ATL & Portland in the AL would be good for the Mariners. Kind of shakes itself out.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

No add Orlando.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’m trying to not get involved in this but some people are so ignorant and clearly they don’t follow the league that they don’t even realize there are like 2-3 other teams atleast that are already looking or considering a move right now. Nobody..and I mean literally nobody is thinking about the Royals moving until those teams are all settled first. Which will take a while. Get up to date.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:35 pm I’m trying to not get involved in this but some people are so ignorant and clearly they don’t follow the league that they don’t even realize there are like 2-3 other teams atleast that are already looking or considering a move right now. Nobody..and I mean literally nobody is thinking about the Royals moving until those teams are all settled first. Which will take a while. Get up to date.
It seems very difficult to move a MLB team. I mean Tampa and Oakland have been threatening to move now forever. Miami can't draw anybody, but they are stuck now with that stadium.

However, I think it would do KC good if people did start talking about the Royals moving. It might wake up the fan base. Then again, what fan base? Other than the few years around the back to back WS run (where they basically drew average MLB crowds), KC has been in the bottom five in attendance pretty consistently.

KC is right there with the absolute worst drawing teams in the league (Miami, Oakland and Tampa). So if Tampa and Oakland do get new stadiums or new homes, the Royals will be the default team everybody will be talking about relocating.