OFFICIAL - Bartle Hall Expansion construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Bartle Hall Expansion construction

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: BizJournal wrote a front page article on this in the Fall, about the demise in large conventions.  I know I saw it.
True, the last few years have been lean, very lean.  But things are picking up with the upgrades throughout the complex and the ballroom.  But what is truly needed now, more than anything else, is more exhibit space.  And that exhibit space should somehow be connected to the current space.  A 1,000 room hotel would be nice but without more exhibit space the hotel would be a waste.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: True, the last few years have been lean, very lean.  But things are picking up with the upgrades throughout the complex and the ballroom.  But what is truly needed now, more than anything else, is more exhibit space.  And that exhibit space should somehow be connected to the current space.  A 1,000 room hotel would be nice but without more exhibit space the hotel would be a waste.
Is that you AKP?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

After walking around the hill yesterday, I must say I am very impressed.  Despite the hype, I was expecting another Butler building lean to annex pole barn joined to the 1994 ballroom.  But the old ballroom is the Yugo, the new is a Rolls.  When viewed from the south it has all the presence and majesty of a museum or an embassy.  The open colonnade on the SE reminded me of a modernistic version of Luxor Temple.  Some pretty cool views through the columns of both the new arena and Star printing pavilion.  Looking at it from the SW with the skyline rising above is an impressive new postcard view.  While 16th previously had an island running down it, now it does not, unless the new road is only half of what will be done.  They moved a few of those nice mature trees down the hill, but I wonder what they did with all the others?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

moderne wrote: While 16th previously had an island running down it, now it does not, unless the new road is only half of what will be done.  They moved a few of those nice mature trees down the hill, but I wonder what they did with all the others?
I believe 16th Street between Wyandotte and Broadway has been given a road diet.  Quite impressive - it will be a similar width all the way from Broadway to where it intersects perpendicularly into McGee.  Finally - a sane urban roadway move. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Is that you AKP?
I have always been preaching that Bartle needed more exhibit space, over a 1000 room hotel and even the new arena (unless it was built next to the center).

But the center still needs more business in the future to equal the amount it had in the past.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Has anyone else seen the cool lighting effect the new ballroom has as you approach it on 670?  When it first becomes visible there is a subtle band of colored light coming from within, just below the roofline, that appears as two or three muted shades.  As you get closer the colors become more vibrant and cover a broader range of the spectrum.  They also appear to slowly change.    Definitely eye-catching to to someone passing through!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

scooterj wrote: Has anyone else seen the cool lighting effect the new ballroom has as you approach it on 670?  When it first becomes visible there is a subtle band of colored light coming from within, just below the roofline, that appears as two or three muted shades.  As you get closer the colors become more vibrant and cover a broader range of the spectrum.  They also appear to slowly change.    Definitely eye-catching to to someone passing through!
Yeah, I saw that last night.  Really cool!

I also ran over the new Wyandotte bridge the other night.  The spiffy decorations are going up.  Really helps make it feel like you're not 100' up in the air and about to fall off the thing.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Everybody should take a stroll over the Wyandotte bridge.  I went over today at lunch and it's amazing the improvement to the bridge and area.....the ballroom from the south is much more grand than I expected it to be....it still needs all the pedestrian additions to make it more friendly but it's really impressive.  The MAX station there is super huge...looks much more "light rail"y.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

aerial update!

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Only tangentially related, but probably not worth its own thread -

I noticed that the city is working this week on paving and lighting their giant and hideous gravel surface lot on Baltimore, opposite the Hannah Rubber building.  Still a waste of a prime location but at least this lot will look slightly less like it belongs next to a south missouri lawn ornament emporium. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There is also a plan to redo the north loading dock at 12th between broadway and central....that is a much needed improvement.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

North Loading Dock project is a go. 

The Baltimore lot was once envisioned as the location for a parking garage.  I still think that is a good location for a garage to support the Convention Center, PAC and the P&L.  It could also be rather unique running against the limestone cliff.  The top level would be at grade and the Baltimre side could have two sides of retail. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I'm glad it's staying a lot (for now) because i think this is a prime spot for a nice park.  That bluff would form a nice back wall to the park if all that concrete was chiseled off.  Some sort of water feature could be installed, perhaps a little waterfall running from the top of the bluff into a large pool in the park.  Some small coffee shops could be built on the street's edge w/ the park behind.  Then, on the bluff, the new convention hotel could tower w/ a modern interpretation of the art deco style.  I have some plans drawn up back in KC...I really wish I could get my hands on this property before it is destroyed and the bluff is obstructed or carved away. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sounds like another hotel built over a limestone outcrop---the Westin.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

well, that one is a little different because it puts the bluff into it's lobby, enclosing it.  I was imagining this on top of the bluff w/ the edge and the area below the bluff outside...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

According to the Star - the ballroom will host its first event Saturday.  Construction completed 2-months ahead of schedule and $1 million under budget.  Take that JE Dunn!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: According to the Star - the ballroom will host its first event Saturday.  Construction completed 2-months ahead of schedule and $1 million under budget.  Take that JE Dunn!
Good work, Dunn!

Now, with that extra million, maybe they could lay a house out front and call it a water feature.  :(
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Kard wrote: Good work, Dunn!
That was a stab at Dunn - they lost that bid to Walton.  If it had gone the other way we probably would be talking about two months behind schedule and a $10 mil cost overrun. 
Kard wrote: Now, with that extra million, maybe they could lay a house out front and call it a water feature.  :(
That was my immediate thought as well. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think the concrete was put in because the rock was crumbling and falling onto cars. I'm not sure how stable it is under the concrete.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I love how this addition has finished off the transition from the Municipal Auditorium and the earlier Bartle Hall.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.