TSC Renovations

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: THE RENOVATIONS

Post by warwickland »

that sounds more dramatic than it is - i shouldnt have any problem avoiding a royals or chiefs game at TSC anyway.
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

DowntownBryan wrote: has there been any more renderings of the K since its been official. ive seen the preliminaries, but have they came out with any in the past month or two?
I havent seen anything but im guessing that hok will release some once they have figured out whether there is going to be a roof or not.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yea, I think KC might have made the worst mistake in the history of the city by passing the renovation tax.  I truly don't think KC was ready to pass a downtown stadium tax either, but being rushed into this, mostly by the Chiefs, is going to come back to haunt KC for several decades.

I was afraid we would loose the teams, I really was, but now we have the worst case scenario.  A HORRIBLE team, a HORRIBLE "location" for a stadium, no roof and all its economic benefits etc.

We are spending nearly a billions dollars and getting nothing, NOTHING, FUCKING NOTHING.

No Royals might, just might, be better than what KC has done, where there is no desire to go to the ballpark for any reason.  We have not helped the Royals and we have once again set the city back, so far back, that I'm not sure KC will be able to recover when it comes to competing with other towns.

I've been to a lot of ballparks lately, I recently visited Houston's, Baltimore's and Philly's new parks.  Seeing two NEW stadiums near Downtown Baltimore and two NEW stadiums near downtown Philly, having gone to Safeco, Petco, Coors, Jacobs, and many others, I am so jealous of so many other towns it's not even funny.  From stadia to transit to just having a "consistant" vibrant urban core, I think KC has really screwed itself over one too many times.

It's not all bad, before TK and other jump all over me, we are doing A LOT with our urban core, but we were 20 years behind and we might be only 10 years behind when we are done bringing downtown back from the hellhole it was.  But we will never be able to experience downtown baseball in Kansas City and I think that will really hurt KC when every other town has it.

As a voter that voted yes for both issues, I feel horrible and I feel like I failed not only my city, but my kids.  I don't think a downtown stadium would have happened, not in KC, not with Kauffman, not with the Royals tied to the Chiefs, not with state line issues etc.

But, man, we should have rolled the dice and voted this down.  A little late now.

Oh, and the roof would have been one of the ONLY reasons to "save the stadiums" IMO.  It would have been one way to get back some return on the investment.

My kids have no desire, none, to go to a royals game, they can't wait to go to Denver and St.Louis though.

I no longer have any desire to go to a Royals game, I will see about four times as many games this year in other towns than in KC, (yea, the opener is about it this year)

It's a shame KC, a real shame, our leaders could not step up to the plate on this one.
Last edited by GRID on Tue May 23, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

^^^

=D>
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote:
I was afraid we would loose the teams, I really was, but now we have the worst case scenario.  A HORRIBLE team, a HORRIBLE "location" for a stadium, no roof and all its economic benefits etc.

We are spending nearly a billions dollars and getting nothing, NOTHING, FUCKING NOTHING.
it was a heartbreaker in every sense...

When I heard the news after I got off work I started throwing stuff around in my room. My roomate had to tell me to calm down. AT LEAST vote for the roof if you're going to vote yes on the other thing...the "typical KC" clique came out in force that day to all the fearmongering. The sad part is we're going to be in the exact same shoes as we were for the last few years in 2015. Can't wait...

THE GOOD NEWS: KCMO does not, in any shape or form, need a stadium downtown to prosper. Downtown can and will kick ass without a stadium. It's a shame the window closed, but baseball is far from necessary in a vibrant downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: it was a heartbreaker in every sense...

When I heard the news after I got off work I started throwing stuff around in my room. My roomate had to tell me to calm down. AT LEAST vote for the roof if you're going to vote yes on the other thing...the "typical KC" clique came out in force that day to all the fearmongering. The sad part is we're going to be in the exact same shoes as we were for the last few years in 2015. Can't wait...

THE GOOD NEWS: KCMO does not, in any shape or form, need a stadium downtown to prosper. Downtown can and will kick ass without a stadium. It's a shame the window closed, but baseball is far from necessary in a vibrant downtown.
I agree, tk, but everytime I set foot in one of these other parks, I imagine a similar situation in KC, it gives me goosebumps because a stadium in downtown KC would rival any stadium in america, but then I just want to cry because it's only something I can dream about.

Sure, Downtown KC will be fine, but wow, we could have taken KC to the next level with an urban ballpark.

Oh, and the stadiums with the rolling or retractable roofs?  Well they look fine.  I think our roof looks silly in the renderings, but it would have been fine once built.  Not only do we loose out on conventions, concerts, superbowls, final fours etc, we no longer have any leverage to force the city and state to upgrade other portions of our infrastructure to get ready to host such events, like upgrading our 1950's era I-70 corridor, upgrading transit, expanding Bartle to 1 million sq ft, building a convention hotel etc.  Sure, it will still happen...in 30 years vs 10.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

GRID wrote: It's a shame KC, a real shame, our leaders could not step up to the plate on this one.
I feel the same way.  I am angry at out city and county leaders.  I didn't think a downtown stadium was going to happen anyway, but I still didn't like the plan that was put before voters.
trailerkid wrote: THE GOOD NEWS: KCMO does not, in any shape or form, need a stadium downtown to prosper. Downtown can and will be cool without a stadium. It's a shame the window closed, but baseball is far from necessary in a vibrant downtown.
I think for most cities, they got the downtown stadium FIRST, then got "better" downtowns.  I am overjoyed that's not case with Kansas City.  Our downtown will still be great, even without downtown baseball.  And hopefully, with the Sprint Center, we can enjoy downtown basketball (or hockey).  Indeed, more great things will be coming to downtown Kansas City.
KC is the way to be!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: I agree, tk, but everytime I set foot in one of these other parks, I imagine a similar situation in KC, it gives me goosebumps because a stadium in downtown KC would rival any stadium in america, but then I just want to cry because it's only something I can dream about.

Sure, Downtown KC will be fine, but wow, we could have taken KC to the next level with an urban ballpark.

Oh, and the stadiums with the rolling or retractable roofs?  Well they look fine.  I think our roof looks silly in the renderings, but it would have been fine once built.  Not only do we loose out on conventions, concerts, superbowls, final fours etc, we no longer have any leverage to force the city and state to upgrade other portions of our infrastructure to get ready to host such events, like upgrading our 1950's era I-70 corridor, upgrading transit, expanding Bartle to 1 million sq ft, building a convention hotel etc.  Sure, it will still happen...in 30 years vs 10.
There are just a lot of people who can't see the big picture. A good example is the new library development in Lawrence. Many of them act like they've never stepped foot out of Douglas County and been to an actual city library. Anything that doesn't have parking lots in front is bad to them. Anything that changes the built environment is bad unless it means tearing something old down for a new parking lot. Anything that elevates density and profile is bad. This is from the same ethos that opposes positive changes for the metro in terms of investing in mass transit, building cultural infrastructure, enhancing metro attractions, etc. These are the prototypical Village West set. The political system in our metro seems so skewed towards this type of sensibility. For those who don't remember, it was a major struggle just to get enough votes for the arena (which Tulsa, Wichita, Des Moines, OKC, and Omaha have all aproved or built facilities superior to Kemper). Many don't want to keep up with other cities in terms of built environment-- they just want to exist exclusively in suburbia. They can't comprehend that there is a lot more at stake than finding parking spots at Truman. The identity of our metropolitan region lies in the urbanity of our core. If we do not work to our fullest capability of enhancing it, redeveloping it, and reviving it; what identity will we have left?

So much has already started, but the concentration must be on building a densely populated and accessible central city which acts as the showplace, central engine and heart for the entire region. We can accomplish this with or without a new stadium.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Hopefully all the yes voters realize their mistake and will never make a similar mistake again.  Don't allow yourself to be taken hostage.  A truly lost opportunity.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

lock&load wrote: Hopefully all the yes voters realize their mistake and will never make a similar mistake again.  Don't allow yourself to be taken hostage.  A truly lost opportunity.
Quit your b****ing

Everyone in baltimore thought Grbac was a gift from heaven too...

STL already had a DT ballpark...a cookie cutter...LMAO, and they paid for it! Shit son, they paid double for it....and  for san deigo, good for them, Im sure we'd do better in cali too...who wouldnt...but take notice of all the KC development...I mean...This IS a KC development board...duh

In laymans terms... see the following ...
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=6487.0
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

im2kull wrote: Quit your b****ing

In laymans terms... see the following ...
http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=6487.0
Let the skyscraper boner subside and try this link

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=9038.0

Yes, we're much better off at the TSC Image
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

lock&load wrote: Let the skyscraper boner subside and try this link

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=9038.0

Yes, we're much better off at the TSC Image

Whats your point...you just proved mine

Every other city is a f'up and is copy catting what we did almost 40 years ago, we saved all the money and are now renovating to make the K even better, rather than blow up another old stadium.  Did you know Seattle still owes something like 200 million on the KING DOME! Imagine that...
p.s. Its about the game, not the scenery.  (unless we talk women, then its all about the view)

...In 20 years suburban stadiums will be all the rave...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

im2kull wrote:
Whats your point...you just proved mine

Every other city is a f'up and is copy catting what we did almost 40 years ago, we saved all the money and are now renovating to make the K even better, rather than blow up another old stadium.  Did you know Seattle still owes something like 200 million on the KING DOME! Imagine that...
p.s. Its about the game, not the scenery.  (unless we talk women, then its all about the view)

Um....how did those cities copy KC?  Most build ballparks in URBAN areas, not at the intersection of two suburban highways.  Try again.

Oh yeah....if it's about the game, why does anyone ever go to the K?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

:roll:
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

im2kull wrote: ...In 20 years suburban stadiums will be all the rave...
Uh, no, they won't. They were "all the rave" back when TSC was built.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

oh my god michael you really cant get enough of this can you?
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Michael® wrote: DowntownBryan/kcdcchef/im2kull? You write exactly alike. chef you are a dumbass extrordinaire.
Mods, please check im2ull's IP addy and see if it's out of Pennsylvania. I'm sick of this crap.

For somone living in another state to be so obsessed against downtown baseball here is astounding.
As much as they write the same, they all three have distinct IP addresses. One in Pennsylvania(chef), one in Kansas(DTB), and one in KC(im2)
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

thank you bahua!