LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: LIberty Memorial: The big "d!ck in the sky"

Post by KCK »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
deadmanwalking wrote:Ok, I know eveeryone will be pissed at me, but its not like I care so anyway, the liberty memorial is basically one of the most boring and forgettable war memorials I have seen. I personally prefer the Rosedale Arch to it just because it is more unique.
The Rosedale Arch isn't "unique"...it's a smaller replica, or copy, of the Arc de Triomphe (Arch of Triumph) in Paris, France!
Ok, first of all, read my post again because you obviously didn't read it correctly. I very much hate correcting people who read my posts incorrectly. Hell I will quote it for you.
DeadManWalking wrote: I personally prefer the Rosedale Arch to it just because it is more unique.
Never once did I say that the Rosedale Arch was "unique". I said it is MORE UNIQUE, and I have known since I was 5 years old that it was based off of the Arc de Triomphe, but in my opinion that is 10 times as unique and photo worthy as a big dick in the sky. So basically stop wasting my time.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

so a monument copied off another one is more unique than the country's only WWI monument that copied nothing?

OK.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

OR THIS:

I think the Rosedale Arch is more unique, although much smaller.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCPowercat wrote:so a monument copied off another one is more unique than the country's only WWI monument that copied nothing?

OK.
Liberty memorial is just a poll in the sky, hell it isn't even artistic or anything, it is bland. Hell The liberty memorial is a blatant copy of a tree trunk, or a telephone poll.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

have you ever been to the liberty memorial? It is much more than just the tower. You can learn more about it here: http://www.libertymemorialmuseum.org Everything from the front of the monument, to the sphinxes, to the 2 smaller museums, to the 4 guardians on top of the tower and now the underneath museum that will really bring WW1 history alive...it is much more than a tree trunk.

I think you're just attempting to be hateful.

KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

KCPowercat wrote: I think you're just attempting to be hateful.
Hateful my ass, just because its in KC doesn't mean that I have to like it, or am I not entitled to my own opinion? It's "Conform to my standards" and nothing else.

Well I have certain tastes, and the Liberty Memorial looks like a giant tree trunk to me. Maybe you don't like my opinion, thats too bad because you can't change it.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You can have your opinion, I'm not attempting to change it.....I just think it's being hateful to say it's nothing but a tree trunk when that is obviously not true....and then to praise a 50' arch like it's the 8th wonder of the world.

If the 2 monuments were to switch locations, I'd bet your opinion would as well.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DeadManWalking wrote: Liberty memorial is just a poll in the sky, hell it isn't even artistic or anything, it is bland. Hell The liberty memorial is a blatant copy of a tree trunk, or a telephone poll.
No way DMA, come on. The memorial is not just a pole. Have you ever spent some time walking around the grounds, taking in the detail of size of the detials and size of the complex? It's an awesome memorial and will be even better when the museum opens.

I like the Rosedale Arch and have been there, and believe me, I could easily slam the hell out of that thing, but I won't.

KC should embrace the memorial.

This is an awesome pic:

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

the liberty memorial would make a far more effective icon for the city than some of the previous ones. It is beyond my understaning why the city has not made this so pervasive that everyone in the country doesn't see this and know its Kansas City.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Ok, before I go any further let me clarify that when I speak of the memorial, I mean the main structure. The grounds are beautiful. The renovations really helped improve the area. However the main structure (the long cylindrical thing) is, and has always been boring.

To me a monument like the Liberty Memorial should be so phenomenal that when you think of Kansas City, it sticks out in your head. You know, like how the Arch in St. Louis sticks out, or the statue of liberty. The Liberty Memorial is pretty much forgettable, and boring, which is the same way many people describe KC.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the renovations with the lighting, etc. help add to it's visability....the arch and the liberty memorial server very different purposes....it is supposed to be a solemn reminder of WW1, which is much different from the celebration of the west that is the arch.

The underneath museum will also add to it's allure....the memorial will never be the icon for the city that the arch is for STL....it's not as prominent and does not catch the eye as much. For better or worse.

I don't think people overall describe KC as boring at all...actually quite the opposite...once they've been here, they can't believe all this city has to offer...the problem is the citizens of this city have zero civic pride...why that is I'll never understand.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

DeadManWalking wrote:
KCPowercat wrote: I think you're just attempting to be hateful.
Hateful my ass, just because its in KC doesn't mean that I have to like it, or am I not entitled to my own opinion? It's "Conform to my standards" and nothing else.

Well I have certain tastes, and the Liberty Memorial looks like a giant tree trunk to me. Maybe you don't like my opinion, thats too bad because you can't change it.
I hate to get into this whole Rosedale Arch vs. Liberty Memorial debate -- becuase it is silly and they each stand alone -- but I've gotta say that Rosedale could be so much better. It isn't that big, so it doesn't feel magestic and grand -- and the grounds don't feature the amazing setting that Liberty Memorial has.

Don't get me wrong, I love the arch. It is hard to list it as a destination up there all alone. If it were bigger and better lit, it would be amazing on the hillside and it would speak for itself, but it just doesn't meet its potential. I don't take people there nearly as much as I take people to Liberty Memorial. No great views, no ride to the top, no platform and grounds, no fountains -- and a tiny fraction of the great history of Liberty.

Great monument, but a rival to Liberty Memorial it is not.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote:why that is I'll never understand.
Easy -- because they live in areas of the city that don't have much to be proud of and they don't bother to find out that there is a world outside of it. I've been in KC for 2 years and I've shown plenty of "lifers" the light. The real question is not about why there is a lack of civic pride -- instead, it is a step further. Why do many people in KC take no initiative to have a clue about their city?

I know this happens everywhere, but it seems to be a bigger problem here. It also seems like hating your city is a cool thing to do and people just need to wake up from it.
Gorlock
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Gorlock »

Amen to that!
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Well I can tell you as an outsider... I was drawn (ahem... I am a married heterosexual by the way) to this fine monument. It's a great observation opportunity... my kids loved it. I wish Omaha had a monument on this scale. Kansas City should be very proud of it.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

DeadManWalking wrote:Never once did I say that the Rosedale Arch was "unique". I said it is MORE UNIQUE
Same shit...
DeadManWalking wrote:forgettable, and boring, which is the same way many people describe KC.
My cousin (in-law) and his friend, both from Dallas-Fort Worth, had never been to Kansas City before. They traveled to places like New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, Colorado and San Diego for fun. When I took them out in Kansas City, they were pleasantly surprised and had an awesome time. My cousin's friend even said he wouldn't mind moving up here for a couple of years. If you know your city, you can have a great time!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KC power:

Have you ever lived in another city - you know, to guage their level of city "love"??
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

You know what fuck it, I will conform so as not to upset you with differing opinions

THE LIBERTY MEMORIAL IS PERFECT IN EVERY WAY!!!!!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

DeadManWalking wrote:You know what fuck it, I will conform so as not to upset you with differing opinions

:lol: Why would you give in to a debate? Everyone is argueing their opinions...there is no RIGHT or WRONG answers/beliefs.

The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
DeadManWalking wrote:You know what fuck it, I will conform so as not to upset you with differing opinions

:lol: Why would you give in to a debate? Everyone is argueing their opinions...there is no RIGHT or WRONG answers/beliefs.
Exactly....just because people differ on opinions doesn't mean you give in....stick to your guns....I personally think you are wrong but I respect you going against the grain...even though I think your motives are just for spite.

PA....visited many, lived in few....talking to residents of other cities and this city is how I come up with that opinion.