OFFICIAL: Summit Fair (LS shopping center)

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Planning for Upscale Lee's Summit Shopping Center

Post by dangerboy »

dangerboy wrote: I found a mention on the Examiner archives.  They are looking at Legacy Park, which is a little west of 7 Hwy, just south of Colbern.

That's some amazing growth.  Almost reminds me of when the Rockwood district in St. Louis County opened two mega high schools in the same year.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

man grid, this is going to be a long ass drive for you to go to this mall after you move to overland park. on the flip side, it will be convienent for you to drop by a royals game on saturdays after shopping, in 2010.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Lee's Summit East HS when it is built will be off of Smart Rd and Hwy 50.  I think it is supposed to be built in at least 5 years or so.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

But I also heard one is planned for the fat NE corner of the district where Blue Springs, LS and Lake Lotowanna come together.

I guess they can call it LS NE.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

[quote="GRID"]
LS Park Board turns down RED proposal
By Matt Bird-Meyer The Journal Staff

“The protection of the sanctity of  park land is an important responsibility of the board, and any actions to erode this could cause diminished opportunities for further gifts and create more pressure for the use of existing park property for non-park uses,â€
Last edited by justin8216 on Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The design of this center looks like it is going to be very, very close to the design of an enclosed shopping center with the roof lifted up. No new urbanism leanings here. As this location in LS has been touted as having better demos than what was around Zona Rosa when it opened, I would expect them to get some of the more upscale tenants out there. It'll be interesting to watch...

The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

So, why not put a roof on it?  It's 5 degrees outside, this isn't LA.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

:puke:

my disdain for LS grows deeper. 

i dont understand why RED doesn't just superimpose this development onto their SummitWoods developments.  the pangaea of contiguous parking lots out there could probably house two "upscale" shopping centers. 

what does "upscale" even mean, anyway?  surely it won't be more "upscale" than TCP, so can we expect B+N, Banana, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, etc?  :roll:

i am looking forward to spending some quality time in those "courtyards" though.  quality third-place shizz rat thurr.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: :puke:
what does "upscale" even mean, anyway?  surely it won't be more "upscale" than TCP, so can we expect B+N, Banana, Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, etc?  :roll:

i am looking forward to spending some quality time in those "courtyards" though.  quality third-place shizz rat thurr.
Like I said, the demos in this part of LS are better than Platte County supposedly so I would expect all the Town Center crap. It'll be telling to see what department stores/home goods retailers are interested in LS. Something tells me it won't be a JCPenney, but I don't know if LS is ready for a Nordstrom.

Who knows? LS is more of a JoCo clone than the Northland will ever be. I'm thinking this shopping center will be very similar to the one that RED did in West Omaha.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

The Summit wrote: So, why not put a roof on it?  It's 5 degrees outside, this isn't LA.
this is the popular way to build malls now. like a traditional mall, minus the roof. they are springing up everywhere now.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

kcdcchef wrote: this is the popular way to build malls now. like a traditional mall, minus the roof. they are springing up everywhere now.
If you mean stuff like Zona Rosa- yeah, that is a definite trend. But despite the faults of developments like these, I believe they are a positive step towards getting the masses reacquainted with traditional-styled urban form, as opposed to leviathan indoor boxes like Oak Park Mall. Though the problem still remains that they are not truly public spaces, as owing to the corporate ownership of these developments. But it's a small step in the right direction.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

Tosspot wrote: If you mean stuff like Zona Rosa- yeah, that is a definite trend. But despite the faults of developments like these, I believe they are a positive step towards getting the masses reacquainted with traditional-styled urban form, as opposed to leviathan indoor boxes like Oak Park Mall. Though the problem still remains that they are not truly public spaces, as owing to the corporate ownership of these developments. But it's a small step in the right direction.

in a way, yes, zona rosa, but i was thinking more on a national scale. richmond, just opened 2 competing malls that are identical to independence center in layout, minus a roof. zona rosa is more like the plaza, but they overestimated the public wanting a 2nd plaza.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think you guys will be surprised at what the LS center gets.  Remember, you are talking about what will be "the" upscale center for all of suburban jackson county.  LS is larger than all of Platte County, East Jack has local retail market nearly twice that of the Northland.  This center will give east jax residents one less reason to drive west on 435 and (sadly) into the plaza.

Driven around LS lately?,  Most of it is Leawood with hills, except for the tract housing along 50 out east.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

kcdcchef wrote: in a way, yes, zona rosa, but i was thinking more on a national scale. richmond, just opened 2 competing malls that are identical to independence center in layout, minus a roof. zona rosa is more like the plaza, but they overestimated the public wanting a 2nd plaza.
But Zona Rosa is only a year old and the Plaza has been evolving for decades.  It was a completely different creature in the beginning, with Sears and bowling alleys instead of Tiffany's and Armani.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

dangerboy wrote: But Zona Rosa is only a year old and the Plaza has been evolving for decades.  It was a completely different creature in the beginning, with Sears and bowling alleys instead of Tiffany's and Armani.
i know what the plaza was back in the day. i used to hang out there in the 70's, when the only place with style to shop was halls.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

GRID wrote: I think you guys will be surprised at what the LS center gets.  Remember, you are talking about what will be "the" upscale center for all of suburban jackson county.  LS is larger than all of Platte County, East Jack has local retail market nearly twice that of the Northland.  This center will give east jax residents one less reason to drive west on 435 and (sadly) into the plaza.

Driven around LS lately?,  Most of it is Leawood with hills, except for the tract housing along 50 out east.
That's not quite accurate.  Lee's Summit has a population of around 80,000 doesn't it?  Platte County is pushing about 90 grand.  The size of Platte County is not what matters with Zona Rosa though.  What matters is that it's basically the only worthwhile major shopping center in the northland.  Not only does it serve 300,000 northlanders but it also many people from Wyandotte and Leavenworth Counties since it's really their best option within close driving distance.  Travel the I-29/Barry corridor at anytime and at least 50% of the tags you see will be from Kansas.  It's also just a half hour down the road for residents of St. Joseph.

Income wise there are neighborhoods within just PC alone that may surpass anything in Leawood.  The Nationals for instance recently had a home with a 4.5 million dollar price tag on it.  Then of course you have a slew of other nearby developments such as Briarcliff and Tiffany Greens with many homes over the million dollar mark.  I'm not trying to play the "this area is better than that area game" GRID but just simply pointing out to you that there are many more things factoring into the success of Zona Rosa than just the population of the immediate area.

I guess you could look at the Lee's Summit project from two different angles.  One is that Lee's Summit is definitely the hottest suburban area of Jackson County right now and is on a major roll.  This makes it a very alluring location for major retailers looking to open a location in East Jack. 

Another way to look at it is that there is plenty of solid competition in that region that isn't going to let LS take suck up all that potential revenue without  a fight.  Blue Springs has been discussing putting together a project of their own and I don't even need to tell you that the area around Independence Center is thriving.  It has a major advantage over LS in the fact that it's an already made destination.  Being right on I-70 is another advantage it has over LS.  With Bass Pro coming to that area and others to follow you can be sure that any retailer or restaurant looking to set up shop in East Jack will most certainly consider that region to be a very attractive option as well.  In any case it will be very interesting to see how this project pans out and what it becomes.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I agree with what you are saying, I was thinking Platte had 70k. But still, you have KCI, all the office parks, the interstates etc.  LS and its surrounding area have very good demographics and it's far from ZonaRosa or JoCO.  It will become a major upscale retail player very soon.  That's all.

And I'll call you out on "half" the barry road traffic is JoCo,  NOT.  You get a lot of JoCoers at ZR, it "might" approach 20% at times, but you see closer to 90% MO tags in other retails centers along Barry and the KS ones you do find are split between WY, LV, and JO.

Don't make the Northland out like Oak Park Mall or TCP, where it 40% of the cars are MO cars.  By far and large, JoCoers don't get to most of the MO side retail areas.  You would be lucky to find a KS car at Summit Woods or Indep Center, but you will find MO cars all over the place clear the hell out in Olathe.  There are a lot of reasons for that, but it's true.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

GRID wrote: I agree with what you are saying, I was thinking Platte had 70k. But still, you have KCI, all the office parks, the interstates etc.  LS and its surrounding area have very good demographics and it's far from ZonaRosa or JoCO.  It will become a major upscale retail player very soon.  That's all.

And I'll call you out on "half" the barry road traffic is JoCo,  NOT.  You get a lot of JoCoers at ZR, it "might" approach 20% at times, but you see closer to 90% MO tags in other retails centers along Barry and the KS ones you do find are split between WY, LV, and JO.

Don't make the Northland out like Oak Park Mall or TCP, where it 40% of the cars are MO cars.  By far and large, JoCoers don't get to most of the MO side retail areas.  You would be lucky to find a KS car at Summit Woods or Indep Center, but you will find MO cars all over the place clear the hell out in Olathe.  There are a lot of reasons for that, but it's true.
I never said JoCo.  You did.  Nor did I say all of Barry Road.  I was referring to the area around Zona Rosa from the area around the theaters over to west side of 29.  I guess I should have have used more specific language to avoid any confusion.

You're entitled to your opinion but I live in that immediate area so I'd say it's pretty safe to say I have a much better idea of what sort of traffic passes through the I-29/Barry corridor since I see it/get stuck in it multiple times daily.  It's all good though.  Think what you wish.

I know LS has good demographics.  I never argued that.  It also has an abundance of good shopping already available nearby though.  The northland had nothing but the soon-to-be-dead metronorth mall which isn't much.  Unlike East Jack which already has many options and more in the works the northland had almost zilch before ZR.  Basically there are a few hundred thousand northlanders that have no real viable alternative to ZR nearby but down around LS the story reads a bit differently.  That could make a difference.  Whether it will or not remains to be seen.  That's all I was saying.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Thrillcekr wrote:I know LS has good demographics.  I never argued that.  It also has an abundance of good shopping already available nearby though.  The northland had nothing but the soon-to-be-dead metronorth mall which isn't much.  Unlike East Jack which already has many options and more in the works the northland had almost zilch before ZR.  Basically there are a few hundred thousand northlanders that have no real viable alternative to ZR nearby but down around LS the story reads a bit differently.  That could make a difference.  Whether it will or not remains to be seen.  That's all I was saying.
You're making a mistake by assuming that East Jack is one in the same as SW Jack. They are quickly becoming two separate suburban retail trade areas similar to what is going on in Platte Co and the Liberty area. This is not to say there is quite a few overlapping, but no more than Metro North/Zona Rosa or Town Center/Oak Park. Besides, this new shopping center will primarily serve western Lee's Summit while many of those on the north will continue to flock to the Center area. Geographically, they both surely are far enough apart to support quite a bit more retail.

With this said, there will be competition to see which center outdraws the other. The Independence Center area is set with so much existing retail as well as a few bigger draws like Bass Pro, etc. sprouting up over there. But something tells me that RED will go heavy after the baby boomer with cash that the Center doesn't serve so well. RED has been very successful with their formula and I don't expect them to fail now their crappy outdoor malls.
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Lee's Summit also has the Cass County market to draw from.  At 90,000 t's already the same size as Platte and is exploding.  Raymore has gone from nothing to being a top-ten home builder overnight - outranking places like Lenexa, Independence, and KCK.  While Cass is absorbing much of the metro workforce housing and not the McMansions in Platte, it will ultimately be a much bigger population to help support the LS retail.