Union Station

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

The Star: Pull Union Station out of mediocrity

Post by KCPowercat »

kfb.....you assume everybody on here wants Bi-State to pass when most are still up in the air looking at the issue. See we don't just blindly get behind every proposal like you blindly diss everything having to do with KCMO.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:kfb.....you assume everybody on here wants Bi-State to pass when most are still up in the air looking at the issue. See we don't just blindly get behind every proposal like you blindly diss everything having to do with KCMO.

Dear Sir's: Maddams;

I posted the article without comment , in the place where the topic is currently being discussed. I feel , its current,timely, and relative as well as ON TOPIC.

Yes it is true I am against Bi-State II, and as others have pointed out I am against MOST taxes.. Even in our fair city of Gladstone the sales tax is now 7.350 (i checked when i purchased something to be sure ) because they raised it 1/4 percent) to pay for new fire station and rigs as well as a new 600,000 ambulance. I however read the ENTIRE proposal . AND on the proposal , there is a clause , that IF the construction and purchases go OVERt he projected amounts that A BONDING company that was required by the builders would cover it NOT the tax payers. That is why I voted YES for it . (believe it or not I voted yes for a tax)

Now if Only Kansas city would try similar things. MAKE construction companies obtain overage insurance whereby if it goes overbudged the tax payers arent put on the Hook..... NOTHING in KC has been on time or on budget , that drew tremendous criticism of me last time I posted it , because Iwas INFORMED that its that way all over the country .... Well SO WHAT..... just because its that way other places doesnt make it OK here..

There is NO reason that when taking bids you cannot put into the bidding clause , that the project will be on time and on budget , on time is something i can understand with weather delays and the like but NOT over budget by tremendous ammts, im not talking 50,000 dollars either .

Take KC;s plagued radio system It cost 18 million to implement,,, then another 23 million to get right after land aquisition and the like. What did kansas city do ? tried to SUE the radio maker ,,, then in court they were LAUGHED out when it was discovered that the city POCKETED the survey fees and had their OWN techs, do the surveying which one of the reasons it had to be totally redone ,,, thats right the city POCKETED it by that I dont mean took it home, i mean spent it elsewhere,

The federal court in the 8th western district made KCMO pay all court costs 800,000 dollars... and attorneys fees for Erricson radio company.

Its these kinds of shennanigans that make KC the laughing stock of the nation and YES we are.

and when i see HUGE tremendous, projects on the board, like US and the ARENA All I can think of , boy oh boy the city cannot wait to get its greedy hands on that MONEY... to cut costs and keep as much of it as they can...

Which leads me to another point , in weds kc star opinion sections , letters to the editor a person who wrote in , stated something i completely forgot about ...

When Bi 1 was touted , the signage and campaign said ONE time , ONE tax , FOR THIS,,,, nothing more....

Now look bi state 2 ,,,, and probably 3...

what happened to ONE time tax , ONCE only for ONE thing /.??? in short where is the accountability something the above article says may be the very thing that sinks bi state 2
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCPowercat wrote:gut science city, put in a metro history museum and train museum to the bottom. Still bring in the special features like the human body or whatever is in there right now.
Gut it, keep the good shit (dinosaur dig, space center, etc.), dump the kiddie shit (mini-golf, underground tunnels, playground, maze, mystery house, etc.), add some new Smithsonian type shit in addition to trains and local artifacts, and rename Science City. Call it the Kansas City Museum of Natural Science and History.

Turn the Kansas City Museum on Gladstone Blvd into a local historic figures wax museum. You can have life-size wax figures of Amelia Earhart, Thomas Hart Benton, Charlie Parker, Jesse James, Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, William Quantrill, Lewis & Clark, and the list goes on. Behind each figure can be a background made up of murals and artifacts that fits that particular character. Not only will it show famous figures of our region, it will boost attendance at historical sites and homes throughout the Bi-State area (Earhart Home in Atchison, KS, James Farm in Kearny, MO, etc.)
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:gut science city, put in a metro history museum and train museum to the bottom. Still bring in the special features like the human body or whatever is in there right now.
Gut it, keep the good shit (dinosaur dig, space center, etc.), dump the kiddie shit (mini-golf, underground tunnels, playground, maze, mystery house, etc.), add some new Smithsonian type shit in addition to trains and local artifacts, and rename Science City. Call it the Kansas City Museum of Natural Science and History.

Turn the Kansas City Museum on Gladstone Blvd into a local historic figures wax museum. You can have life-size wax figures of Amelia Earhart, Thomas Hart Benton, Charlie Parker, Jesse James, Harry S. Truman, Dwight D. Eisenhower, William Quantrill, Lewis & Clark, and the list goes on. Behind each figure can be a background made up of murals and artifacts that fits that particular character. Not only will it show famous figures of our region, it will boost attendance at historical sites and homes throughout the Bi-State area (Earhart Home in Atchison, KS, James Farm in Kearny, MO, etc.)
I agree completely!! In fact if the WHOLE thing was themed, and named that , such as in chicago it might just garner a little more respect. not a 2 function building.... a 1 function building "Kansas city Mueseum Of Natural Science and History" I like the ring of that ...
the difference between ours and Chicagos you might ask ?

Our could feature things LOCAL to mo-kan an exhibit on BISON, natural prairie grasses, and artifacts from the ice age , there is some GREAT stuff about that available . Also they should make a deal with steamboad arabia, and have a section for that , "Missouri River 300 years of commerce: there are tons of artifacts available , to show the history of the mighty MO. its changes ,floods, artifacts , bridges, construction methods throughout time

Stockyard Fire/floods
Strawberry hill story
the bottoms story
North end story

and even Organized crime history , showcasing the FAMOUS bullet holes in the granite outside , When I tell people from out of town about the place thats the VERY first thing they say , "Hey are those bullet holes from the shootout still there?" I have photos me and my dad took in the 70s ,, when it was a rail station still and we dropped mom off to go on a trip.... they are great ,,, I would donate them , if they were to be used... but im sure there are hundreds and hundreds of photos .... wax figures...

thats the kind of stuff thats needed to bring life to the place not bring it BACK but get it started , in the very first place as it NEVER got off the ground in the first place ,,

How about a TWA overhaul base exhibit,,, UNIQUE to this area ...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Wow, kfb, I actually sensed some passion and excitement in that post. Great ideas. Thanks for the constructive post.

I particularly like the idea of the Missouri River exhibit. I don't know if anyone is really playing that angle, so we could be the de-facto city and mueseum on the muddy MO.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Tonight 10pm kctv 5 will air a special report called "Pot O Money"

Whereby they claim , that u/s is 5 million in the black YET there is a POT o money they could be drawing from but will not? DOnt know any more thats why I am going to watch.....
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

Is this an effort to Get a "Yes Vote" from those in doubt ?

Why wasnt this done from DAY ONE not 90 days from the vote!!!

And It still doesnt address the Johnson County input , But does APPEAR to show ACCOUNTABILITY as an issue that they feel Folks want to HEAR...

kc star

Posted on Thu, Jun. 10, 2004

Sports authority backs measure to form oversight board

By BENITA Y. WILLIAMS

The Kansas City Star

To help move forward a planned bistate tax for the stadiums, the Jackson County Sports Complex Authority backed a plan today to form a separate oversight board of all counties that approve the tax.

The plan would create a Missouri-based non-profit corporation of representatives from the counties approving the bistate tax. The corporation would oversee issues related to spending bistate tax revenues and supervising bistate-funded stadium construction.

Sports authority member Richard Berkley said the proposed measure gives the other counties assurances they will have a say in how bistate would be spent.

“We're trying to show the good intent, that the people who put up their money will have some input,â€
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

"All five sports authority commissioners said they favored the concept of other counties having input, but some were hesitant about the proposed oversight corporation. They said they were concerned about how the new body would interact with the existing Jackson County sports authority, which currently oversees operations at Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums and leases with the Chiefs and Royals.

Ill tell you why!! because they (KC - Jack Co) wants FIRST COUNT and FINAL SAY with ZERO accountability .... this in and of itself says it!!!

Same OLE' Same OLE'
macnw
Colonnade
Colonnade

etc

Post by macnw »

Hey farmboy,
Same could be said for your rhetoric. Put your name on the ballot and run for mayor. I want to hear some of your solutions, not just your bitching.
kansasfarmboy

Re: etc

Post by kansasfarmboy »

macnw wrote:Hey farmboy,
Same could be said for your rhetoric. Put your name on the ballot and run for mayor. I want to hear some of your solutions, not just your bitching.
I cant , I dont live in KC and wouldnt want to...

Also im not responsible for BILLIONS of dollars like KCMO politicians..

I think the people of OP got their heads on right .... They got DUPED the first time and , they arent going to be lead like a cow to slaughter the second time , Like KC wants them to .... Kc wants OP to sit down and SHUT UP and vote yes!! thats IT... 2 states one city.... as long as we get your money is what it should say on KC ONE s slogan
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kfb....please one topic in each thread....your off topic yammering is running off very productive members of this forum. I just hope they are using the 'ignore' function instead of leaving.....I'd hate to think one user could ruin an entire message board but it's sure looking that way.

kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

KCPowercat wrote:kfb....please one topic in each thread....your off topic yammering is running off very productive members of this forum. I just hope they are using the 'ignore' function instead of leaving.....I'd hate to think one user could ruin an entire message board but it's sure looking that way.
Come on Give me a break KCP!!!

Im making perfect sense. Its just that the folks arent hearing what they WANT to hear.

I am ON topic and On MARK. Is there any way you and others can face the fact that ALL news isnt pretty or "NICE" or Politically correct ?

I am presenting sources for information other than specualtion here and although I am not a FAN of KCONE as it would be called I feel that folks should be FULLY informed and not just told that "DOWNTOWN IS THE PLACE" every place in and around kc stinks which is the general attitude here except for me and a few others.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This is a topic about Union Station, not the sports commission.

eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

How many of you kidless, 20 somethings have even been to Science City. It's a nice museum... I hope there aren't plans to trash it. Isn't KC's Union Station big enough to accomodate all sorts of stuff above and beyond Science City? (seemed like it was a long walk to the back door where we entered the science museum).

(time to share some of E's pics :) )

I would guess there's plenty of room available for some KC historical/cultural stuff (some scenes from Omaha's Union Station :) )..

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

eomaha.com wrote:How many of you kidless, 20 somethings have even been to Science City. It's a nice museum... I hope there aren't plans to trash it.
I'm a kidless 20 something and I've always lobbied that Science City isn't as bad as everyone says. I had a great time there with my family and I'd go again. I would agree, though, that there isn't a lot of things to keep people going back. That might be the main drawback.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

[quote="eomaha.com"]How many of you kidless, 20 somethings have even been to Science City. It's a nice museum... I hope there aren't plans to trash it. Isn't KC's Union Station big enough to accomodate all sorts of stuff above and beyond Science City? (seemed like it was a long walk to the back door where we entered the science museum).

(time to share some of E's pics :) )

nice pix..

What kind of digital camera you have ? How many megapixels ?

the one from lib memorial of us/ and the city background is really good...
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Thanks.

Actually those were taken using my first generation 'sub megapixel' Mavica.

Now days I use a 5 megapixel Nikon Coolpix 5700 (nice 8X optical zoom). Hope to take it down to KC later this summer.

A tighter shot from the Memorial
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

eomaha.com wrote:Thanks.

Actually those were taken using my first generation 'sub megapixel' Mavica.

Now days I use a 5 megapixel Nikon Coolpix 5700 (nice 8X optical zoom). Hope to take it down to KC later this summer.

A tighter shot from the Memorial

5 Mega pixel ? MAN that must be something....

I have a 3.2 olympus and when I take 3:2 aspect ratio photos and have them developed on paper they look betterthan ANY 35mm photo i have see.... i can only IMAGINE was a 5 Mp photo must look like on paper ....
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

kansasfarmboy wrote:I have a 3.2 olympus and when I take 3:2 aspect ratio photos and have them developed on paper they look betterthan ANY 35mm photo i have see.... i can only IMAGINE was a 5 Mp photo must look like on paper ....
Hey KFB, jus' for shits & giggles, why don't you go downtown and take some pictures of the "REAL" Kansas City? You can take photos of the TRASH, HOOKERS, BUMS, CRACKHEADS, HOMOSEXUALS and all the DUMPS in the city. Share them with the forumers.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
kansasfarmboy wrote:I have a 3.2 olympus and when I take 3:2 aspect ratio photos and have them developed on paper they look betterthan ANY 35mm photo i have see.... i can only IMAGINE was a 5 Mp photo must look like on paper ....
Hey KFB, jus' for shits & giggles, why don't you go downtown and take some pictures of the "REAL" Kansas City? You can take photos of the TRASH, HOOKERS, BUMS, CRACKHEADS, HOMOSEXUALS and all the DUMPS in the city. Share them with the forumers.
Ok I just might do that , in fact Ill pack my SHorty glock 21 9mm and go down to 39 and prospects on the HUNT for a BUM peeing in the street...