Broadway Jimmy John's

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Jimmy John's to open Drive-Thru restaurant at 9th & Broa

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:current zoning allows a drive-thru, so no rezoning required. there hasn't been a building permit request, and that must go through development review. while we will lose the building, the drive-thru is not guaranteed.
this seems to be the big hole with KC, zoning.

the zoning is so crazy permissive for areas where it seems like there needs to be more focus

so many corridors that would be perfect for density, mixed use, etc are hobbled by parking requirements, setbacks (both sides), land space per unit needs, etc. and that's before the city bumped down the density of parking lots and added bike parking, making it harder to fulfill requirements. it's no wonder some developers don't bother with mixed use

this block is still set up for light manufacturing/warehousing!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Residents need to start addressing zoning reform to candidates running for mayor and city council.

You never hear elected officials talking--during elections--about issues regarding zoning, density, and related-tax implications in regards to city revenue and spending for infrastructure and services.

Kansas City, Missouri, has a huge problem with depopulation south of the river, and it's a looming issue when it comes to paying for infrastructure maintenance. There are many parcels of land that are underperforming for property tax collections. Vacant parcels don't produce significant property taxes. Nor do abandoned houses.

With the recent problems with having to vote on the earnings tax, city leaders and residents need to acknowledge that our city needs to get more revenue from property and sales taxes, and be less reliant on the earnings tax.

We also need to add more residents back into the Jackson County part of Kansas City because so many projects that benefit the entire metro are funded primarily by Jackson County residents.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: this block is still set up for light manufacturing/warehousing!
This was the shock to me. I thought everything in the Loop had been rezoned as "DC-Whatever" a few years ago when the City decided to rebuild a city. Apparently I was mistaken.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the mass rezoning to support redevelopment around streetcar was only for river market (DC-15) and a portion of the crossroads (DX-15).
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:the mass rezoning to support redevelopment around streetcar was only for river market (DC-15) and a portion of the crossroads (DX-15).
Got it. Perhaps I took for granted that everything in the loop was DC-15. I should have known better.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash wrote:Can someone post a crop of the zoning map for downtown?
i don't think there's one view that shows zoning for everything. there were maps attached to the river market and crossroads rezoning ordinances.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
pash wrote:Can someone post a crop of the zoning map for downtown?
i don't think there's one view that shows zoning for everything. there were maps attached to the river market and crossroads rezoning ordinances.
http://maps.kcmo.org/apps/parcelviewer/

layers, zoning.

be aware it's not correct though. there's a *lot* of places assigned two zoning designations at once

shows some interesting things too, like much of the crossroads is a light industrial area allowing the most dense residential possible in a mixed use area.

in general terms how to read the numbers-

for M/B the bigger the first number the more permissive uses there are, the # after the dash is more for mixed use. the bigger number again determines the amount of density here. things like number of parking spots, square footage allowed for any use, etc come into play

for residential, smaller numbers are denser. so a R1.5 allows more units on the lot than a R6. you can generally see how lot size matches zoning in midtown

follow Main St and you can see why nothing is a magic bullet for development. go up one block and the lot size and zoning have to line up to make a project work. between Broadway and Main it's a nasty mess all the way to the Plaza. and like anything government, changing zoning is never quick and simple
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

flyingember wrote:[F]ollow Main St and you can see why nothing is a magic bullet for development. go up one block and the lot size and zoning have to line up to make a project work. between Broadway and Main it's a nasty mess all the way to the Plaza. and like anything government, changing zoning is never quick and simple
Which is as good of an argument as any for comprehensive zoning reform.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Here is the demo permit for this property. Just came across today...

KCDowntown

Map of all the current development in downtown
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

The building is completely gone this morning. It was there last night. They did not waste any time.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Jan Marcason was 'floored' about the new Jimmy John's on Broadway
"The Jimmy John's project was approved because the city zoning allows it," 4th District Councilwoman Jan Marcason tells The Pitch. "I was completely floored. I only found out about the project after the demolition had already started. The franchise owners never came to talk to us [the City Council]. Our development people and planning department never came to us about this.

"I do understand that the Jimmy John's owners made some concessions to the parks department because of the location," Marcason adds. "But I don't know exactly what those concessions are."

"We have asked them [JJRE of Kansas City LLC, which owns the property and holds this Jimmy John's local franchise license and others] to redesign the site because of the heavy traffic on that stretch of the boulevard," Phillips says. "We would have liked the driveway planned for the restaurant to be somewhat narrower, but it's a safety issue for pedestrians, so the driveway will be larger."
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Council should consider banning drive-up windows for restaurants in inside the Loop and River Market for all future development, and along certain streets in the Crossroads.
HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

HalcyonKC wrote:The building is completely gone this morning. It was there last night. They did not waste any time.
I feel like I should correct myself. I got a closer look at the remains of the old building last night. They "merely" knocked the top half of all the walls off so that visually, it fell below the line of sight behind the construction barricades.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Sweet, A Sandwich Arts District. Quizno's, Subway, Jimmy John's, all within sight from each one's front door.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Sweet, A Sandwich Arts District. Quizno's, Subway, Jimmy John's, all within sight from each one's front door.
I looked north as I crossed Broadway today. that's no joke. it's impressive just how close that is to subway.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Had lunch at the Majestic today -- its owner is livid about the closed sidewalk and the drive-through plan for Jimmy John's.

The front of the building is completely down now, the rear by the alley still intact.

The waitress at Majestic indicated that JJ's will actually have two curb cuts, the inbound drive on the south property line and the outbound drive on the north property line, adjacent to the existing curb cut for the parking lot.

Not sure if JJ will also be set back with parking in the front on Broadway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Drove by this this week, I think this is what we are getting...

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q= ... 13.1&fid=5
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Drove by this afternoon. The building is almost completely demolished now.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

FangKC wrote:Drove by this afternoon. The building is almost completely demolished now.
Shit.