Falls at Crackernack Creek update

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
scooterj
Ambassador

Bass Pro will probably go to Indep area, Eastland update...

Post by scooterj »

Channel 9 just announced that Bass Pro is official for southwest quadrant of I-70 & 291. Apart from the store the site will have a hotel, nature senter, 18-acre lake, additional retail sites.
kansasfarmboy

Re: Bass Pro will probably go to Indep area, Eastland update

Post by kansasfarmboy »

I bet you do support the idea of it being by the sports complex... however its not going to be the case ...

that would make it WITHIN KC city limits something big businesses seemingly more and more do not want ....

SInce its going to be at I-70 and 291 that would make it in Independnce thus defending itself from the scam of the kc 1% earnings tax and being forced into kc city council clutches of being told what to do and how to operate their business.

What happened to bannister mall? It was my understanding that whole MESS was to be almost donated to them and they didnt want it. Why ? Because the area is like downtown Baghdad Shooting after shooting night after night .

Looks like KCMO loses another one.

You can bet wherever bass pro shops goes growth in that immediate area will be tremendous.... like around Neb Furniture mart. Even though there is quite a bit of growth in that area with just about anything one could want it will be tremendous now with the addition of B-P-S

Kc just keeps losing and losing big businesses. I still wonder why.?

The Summit wrote:Battle for Bass Pro Shops heating up

What's going on

James Dornbrook
the Examiner
Independence and Jackson County are believed to be the front runners in the hunt to land Bass Pro Shops.

Several anonymous sources said the site on the southwest corner of Interstate 70 and Missouri 291 has emerged as one of two locations under close scrutiny by Bass Pro Shops as a location for a new store. The second site is on 23 acres southeast of I-70 and I-435, near the Truman Sports Complex. This land is owned by Jackson County, which awarded one-year development rights to Resolute Development Corporation several months ago.

Bass Pro Shops Spokesman Larry Whiteley would neither confirm nor deny that the two Jackson County sites are the finalists.

"All I can tell you is we're close to making a decision, but there is no announcement yet," said Whiteley.

Senator Matt Bartle, R- Lee's Summit, made comments in May to the effect that state government has held discussions with Bass Pro Shops and local governments over providing development incentives if the new store is built in Jackson County.

Steve Ehrhart, developer of Eastland Center, said he believed the information circulating about the two Jackson County sites had some merit.

Ehrhart said he doesn't believe the site he offered Bass Pro Shops on the southeast corner of I-70 and M-291 in Eastland Center is in the running anymore. He believes this is because communications between Ehrhart, Bass Pro Shops and the city have broken down in favor of negotiations with the owners of the land across M-291 to the west of Eastland Center. Ehrhart also said John Evans, one of the owners of the site to the west of Eastland Center, is a business partner of Bass Pro Shops Owner Johnny Morris.

The site on the southwest corner of the cloverleaf has been looked at in the past by Home Depot and Target. However, these developments eventually went elsewhere over concern about poor soil quality and flood plain considerations. Since Bass Pro Shops plans to build a small lake on whatever property it acquires, this would alleviate many of the flood plain concerns.

Ehrhart also laid credence to rumors about the Truman Sports Complex site, saying he believes one of the owners of Resolute Development Corporation is a fishing buddy of Morris. In a business of who you know, Ehrhart said this puts them on the top of the list also.

The Truman Sports Complex site offers Bass Pro Shops high visibility and a chance to attach its name to the national recognition of the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals. If selected, Jackson County government can make a pile of money to be used for renovations to the stadiums.

With or without Bass Pro Shops, development of Eastland Center is moving along quickly.

Ehrhart announced he has signed a brand new restaurant, Ted's Montana Grill, which will be constructed just west of Primo's Italian Ristorante. The restaurant, affiliated with Ted Turner, has a Bison-based menu.

Ehrhart also said he is close to signing a second hotel at Eastland Center, which will be built just to the east of the Holiday Inn Express that opened last month.

Construction of the new Hooter's restaurant is in full swing just to the east of Carraba's Italian Grill, with completion expected by the end of the summer. A major battle with Tri-City Ministries during the planning process delayed the project by almost half a year. Now the walls are up and a roof is in place.

Construction crews are busy laying the foundation for the new Kobe Japanese Steakhouse and Sushi Bar, which will be built just east of the new Hooter's restaurant. The project should be completed in about two or three months, depending on the weather.

Walls will be going up this week on the new Bank of America building on the southern end of the Eastland Center, on the northwest corner of Valley View Parkway and U.S. 40.

Construction of the new BioLife medical office building should start either this week or next week. The building will be just to the north of The Shops at Eastland Center. Also in this location, construction of a 20,000 square foot medical center should begin in two or three weeks.

Sentimental Journey Antiques & Collectibles opened at 106 W. Maple on Independence Square about two weeks ago.

Owners Bob and Sue Wiggins of Blue Springs are retired and running the business purely for enjoyment.

"We love it. It's just so pleasant here. The people are really nice and it's just a really pleasant square," said Sue Wiggins. "We've had a great mix of local people and tourists in our store."

Wiggins said she formerly sold floral arrangements to a craft shop on the Square, and when it closed she wanted the location to start her own store.

"I looked around and thought this was an ideal location for our store. Everyone we've met so far has been really nice and welcomed us," Wiggins said. "We're close to the statue of President Truman that watches over everyone down here. It's great."

Wiggins said her husband and she are avid collectors, but didn't really include Independence in their circle of antique hunting. Now with a store on the Square, she said they learned Independence has a lot to offer.

"I'm not sure the Kansas City area realizes what a great resource this area is. We're going to do whatever we can to change that," she said.

The store is generally open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., but Wiggins said she has been experimenting with later hours. The store has been staying open until 6 p.m. during the week and 7 p.m. on weekends.

Sentimental Journey was also one of the few stores on the Square to open on Independence Day and Wiggins said it was their biggest day ever.

For more information about Sentimental Journey Antiques and Collectibles call (816) 228-5849 or (816) 836-8343.

Foundation work is underway for a new Consumers Credit Union building on U.S. 24 across from the Truman Presidential Museum and Library in Independence. The site formerly housed Harry T's restaurant.

To reach James Dornbrook e-mail jamesd@examiner.net or call (816) 350-6322.
kansasfarmboy

Post by kansasfarmboy »

GRID wrote:Independence To Get Bass Pro Shop
Retail Complex To Include Lake, Nature Center, Hotel

POSTED: 8:37 pm CDT June 15, 2004
UPDATED: 9:50 pm CDT June 15, 2004

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. -- A Bass Pro Shop is finally coming to the Kansas City area, KMBC's Kris Ketz reported. A formal announcement is scheduled for 9 a.m. Wednesday.

The sportsman's Mecca will be constructed at the southwest corner of Interstate 70 and Highway 291 in Independence. It will serve as the anchor store of a large retail development planned for the spot.

An 18-acre lake, nature center, hotel and at least three adjacent retail sites will also be constructed, Ketz reported. Developers want to break ground as soon as possible. They are receiving public help for the project in the form of tax-increment financing.

The hunting and fishing industry is a growing market, with more than $100 billion spent each year. And for millions of outdoor enthusiasts nationwide, Bass Pro Shops are the only place to drop a buck.

Like Cabela's near the Kansas Speedway, a Bass Pro Shop would be the kind of retail draw that makes cities drool. Cabela's was the top tourist spot in Kansas for 2002, attracting about 2 million visitors, even though the store was only open for the last five months of the year.

The nearest Bass Pro Shop is currently in Springfield, Mo.

Yes, KCMO loses another one .....imagine the MILLIONS in revenue kcmo can KISS goodbye and that which is kept out of its clutches
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Here is the Examiner's story:
http://examiner.net/stories/061604/new_061604009.shtml

Major improvements will be needed to I-470/40 Hwy and I-70/470/291 intersections. Also included is a new east/west access road to Lee's Summit Rd, between I-70 and 40 Hwy. MoDOT won't give final approval until it is satisfied that traffic issues are addressed. The TIF will only come from sales tax, not property tax.

UMKCgal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCgal »

Good lord thats a hell lotta highways.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

this is one giant cash cow i am glad to see locate outside of KCMO.

it belongs in independence. yay for independence!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm not sure what this means. This area is already getting more development than the speedway area, what will happen after bass pro? It will be interesting.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Are the other plats reserved for "mega retail" like an Ikea? Ikea would be about the same size as a Bass Pro so they would need the entire "east retail" plat.

This area is becoming a development steamroller, but I would try to avoid it all costs because of traffic and how busy it will get as a tourist spot. Hopefully, it jumpstarts redevelopment in the Blue Ridge area and along 40 Hwy for East Jackers not wanting to deal with the tourist and heavy traffic element. The AMC out there is going to be the biggest nightmare in the metro.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

luckily traffic out there is still not THAT bad. it can be a lot worse. (*cough cough* JoCo *cough). if i could drive a mail truck through it every day, anyone can handle it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote:luckily traffic out there is still not THAT bad. it can be a lot worse. (*cough cough* JoCo *cough). if i could drive a mail truck through it every day, anyone can handle it.
It's Jackson County's only real mall area and now it will become the only real mall area and a touristy suburban mall area so I'm just anticipating it will be very crowded. I hope the crowdedness forces some developers to try to recapture the existing markets that currently drive out there from SKC, Raytown, W. Independence.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I’m not into hunting and fishing (although I would choose bass pro over Cabella’s as a place to visit because they do more with boating and camping rather than putting up hundreds of dead animals on display.) From the early plans of this new bass pro, I think it will be awesome. The site they are building that on will just be neat as hell. Cliffs, a lake, dense forest etc. It will include a 60 foot high waterfall cascading down limestone bluffs and will include a large park system and bike/walking trails. You won’t have to set foot in the store to enjoy the area. Cabella’s on the other hand is in a massive parking lot on flat KS farmland, although I still like to visit the aquarium there.

I think Missouri is much more into boating, camping and fishing while Kansas is more into hunting, so I think both stores will do very well in KC. Most people will visit both as they are both in blossoming retail districts. The Bass Pro site includes an additional 500,000 sq feet of retail which will make the 470 / 70 area one of the largest retail corridors in the Midwest, and the Speedway districts has many “destinationâ€
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

[quote="GRID"]I’m not into hunting and fishing (although I would choose bass pro over Cabella’s as a place to visit because they do more with boating and camping rather than putting up hundreds of dead animals on display.) From the early plans of this new bass pro, I think it will be awesome. The site they are building that on will just be neat as hell. Cliffs, a lake, dense forest etc. It will include a 60 foot high waterfall cascading down limestone bluffs and will include a large park system and bike/walking trails. You won’t have to set foot in the store to enjoy the area. Cabella’s on the other hand is in a massive parking lot on flat KS farmland, although I still like to visit the aquarium there.

I think Missouri is much more into boating, camping and fishing while Kansas is more into hunting, so I think both stores will do very well in KC. Most people will visit both as they are both in blossoming retail districts. The Bass Pro site includes an additional 500,000 sq feet of retail which will make the 470 / 70 area one of the largest retail corridors in the Midwest, and the Speedway districts has many “destinationâ€
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
cdschofield
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cdschofield »

This is a dream location for Johnny Morris because of its natural setting in a major metro. Morris is a big conservationist. I may be biased since I grew up in the Springfield area but I think it will be an aesthetically nicer store than Cabelas for a few reasons. This isn't meant to be a knock on KS or Cabelas. In fact, I think both Cabelas and Bass Pro, as well as the metro, will benefit by having stores in the same metro. If your an outdoorsman in Wichita now you won't have to choose whether to go to Bass Pro in Oklahoma City or to Cabelas in Kansas City, just spend the weekend in Kansas City and go to them both.

If there is one thing Johnny Morris is known for with anything he is involved with, it is absolute uncompromising attention to detail. Bass Pro/Big Cedar Lodge has its own craftsman/manufacturing facility where they custom make their own light fixtures, iron/metal work, etc. I also expect that they will go to great lengths to preserve the natural setting as much as possible including the parking lot area.

Although nobody has brought it up but I find the hotel very interesting since Big Cedar Lodge is about the only thing worth going to in the Branson area and is very impressive. It looks like the hotel in Kansas City would be a luxurious version of the Great Wolf Lodge without the indoor water park.

http://www.bigcedar.com/
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

big cedar lodge is pretty incredible. a fine asset to the area indeed.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Too bad Cabela's didn't build their mega-store at Wyandotte County Park. It would've been in a beautiful natural setting and possibly sparked development along I-435 between the Woodlands and the Speedway (between Leavenworth Rd and State Ave).
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Retail center in Bass Pro plan
By James Dornbrook
The Examiner
Even though the announcement of Bass Pro Shops coming to Independence stole the spotlight on Wednesday, other retail development are incorporated into the plans.

About 500,000 square feet of additional retail is in the works to the east and west of the new Bass Pro Shops and hotel being planned at the southwest corner of Missouri 291 and Interstate 70. This was included to help speed up the process of generating enough sales tax revenue to repay the estimated $25 million in bonds needed for roads and other infrastructure on the site.

A team of four developers will handle the construction of additional retail at the Bass Pro Shops site. They are: Byron Constance, an Independence attorney; J.R. Stewart, a local developer with 40 years of experience; John Evans, an investor affiliated with Kessinger Hunter; and David Moore, a real estate investor from Kansas City.

Stewart and Constance developed The Crossroads in Independence, which is where Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Petsmart and several other businesses are located. The Crossroads was the city's first tax increment financing project and helped kick off a lot of the development that soon followed along 39th Street.

Constance said his new retail development will have a theme similar to the Adirondak lodge style proposed by Bass Pro Shops. Constance said the development is only in the planning stages, but there will be restaurants and specialty shops to complement the new Bass Pro Shops store and the city park planned for the area.

"The park will add a lot of appeal to the area and it's already a fantastic location right on two major highways. We couldn't be happier," Constance said. "There is quite a bit of work to do before we move forward though."

Right now the developers are busy figuring out how to handle the extensive engineering work the site requires. The TIF application still needs to be approved, some zoning must be changed, a few old streets that were planned must be vacated, and all the plans must be approved before construction can begin.

"It's an enormously complicated project. We have to satisfy the city, elected state officials, the Missouri Department of Transportation, the Federal Highway Commission, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, the Environmental Protection Agency and a few others," Constance said.

In the mean time, the developers are starting to accept proposals from businesses wanting to build on the site. Anyone interested should call Bryon Constance at (816) 252-9735 or John Evans at (816) 350-3004.

To reach James Dornbrook e-mail james.dornbrook@examiner.net or call (816) 350-6322.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

QueSi2Opie wrote:Too bad Cabela's didn't build their mega-store at Wyandotte County Park. It would've been in a beautiful natural setting and possibly sparked development along I-435 between the Woodlands and the Speedway (between Leavenworth Rd and State Ave).
That stretch of 435 north of I-70 is awesome. I would kind of hate to see it destroyed, but I think it will be decades before they get into that land with all the flat land along K-7 they will develop first.

It would be nice to have something else out by the woodlands though.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Small rendering...

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

hehe cool
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Collison's take...
Back to Bass

A postscript to last week's column about the fast-spawning Bass Pro Shops franchise and whether it is losing its cachet as a long-distance shopping destination: Less than one week after the company announced it will build a 160,000-square-foot, heavily subsidized store in Independence, it revealed plans for a similar store and subsidy deal in Council Bluffs, Iowa, just three hours up Interstate 29.

With Bass Pro already running or planning five stores in Missouri, stores in Oklahoma City and Tulsa, Okla., and a possible store in Wichita, it may get to the point where communities finally wake up and realize this fish isn't worth all the extra bait.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 035368.htm