13th and Grand tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Copaken Office Building - 13th and Grand

Post by FangKC »

The Cosby Hotel on the SW corner of W. 10th and Baltimore, or the LaRue Printing Co./Lane Blueprint buildings on the west side of Baltimore north of the Union Carbide Building, would also be good locations.  There is a vacant parking lot next to each building for the smoker.  :P

Both have nice street-level spaces in a neighborhood with lots of permanent residents, and the library and a lot of nearby office buildings are within walking distance. The major disadvantage is no parking for people driving up for take-out.  If the parking spaces on that surface lot could be relocated elsewhere, one might fashion a drive up window from the alley to the side of the building.  He might get enough foot traffic to make up for the loss of his parking though.
There is no fifth destination.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm just saying if he can hold out another year he will be sitting on the most busy corner in the city and, in comparison to his current offer, will get a shit pot full of money.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

ShowMeKC wrote: Copaken, White and Blitt have been planning an office tower to go on the NE corner of 13th and Grand. The project is moving forward, and much of the land has been aquired, unfortunately this will remove an area BBQ icon, Danny Edwards Famous KC BBQ, which has recently moved closer to the chopping block of possible use of Eminent Domain.

The project will cost about $200 million and will include 270,000 square feet of office space, and 50,000 square feet of retail space. The project also includes a parking garage that will have 1,300 spaces.

The office building would be about 10 floors and would sit just north of the NABC Hall of Fame.
200M and it's only 10 floors?  That sucks, what a gyp.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I just received a reply from Jon Copaken, and apparently this has been going on for years, and there have been multiple attempts to find new locations for the Dave's... However, for some reason those attempts have failed, and the BBQ place still refuses to move. It is also a situation which apparently the BBQ place sits on an old garage that is in bad disrepair, even though their building is ok.
sokkerdewd
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sokkerdewd »

...I wonder if Danny owns the garage his building is on - much less the building itself? 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

CWB owns the garage that Danny's sits on...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Today, I noticed two more locations for Danny's BBQ.  One is the former Goodyear Auto Center on Main and Truman Road.  It's vacant and has three or four bays.  Convert one of the bays for the BBQ place. He's still on a major street and across from the P&L District. The Goodyear location could be set up for drive-in and has some parking.  The other bays could be outfitted as small restaurants or retail space.

The other location is the recently-renovated building on the west side of Walnut near Truman Road.  It's just north of the Smith St. John Building and the second floor is occupied by HILTI.  The street-level space is vacant and has parking next to it for the smoker.  A less conspicous location, but still close to P&L.

Does anyone know what is going to happen with the Gigi Wigs building?
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

FangKC wrote: Today, I noticed two more locations for Danny's BBQ.  One is the former Goodyear Auto Center on Main and Truman Road.  It's vacant and has three or four bays.  Convert one of the bays for the BBQ place. He's still on a major street and across from the P&L District. The Goodyear location could be set up for drive-in and has some parking.  The other bays could be outfitted as small restaurants or retail space.
A garage bay? Aren't they like 10' x 20'? 200 square feet for a restaurant?
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

eliphar17 wrote: A garage bay? Aren't they like 10' x 20'? 200 square feet for a restaurant?
I think Fang just meant one bay for the smoker.  The rest of the building could be used for the restaurant.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Each garage bay had room for two cars to be worked on I think. However, one must keep in mind how small a building Danny's BBQ occupies now. It's tiny in fact. I think even one of those garage bays has more space than he has in the present building.  However, take as many bays as he wants. He could probably use additional seating space.  The bay doors could be replaced with large glass windows and there would be a lot of natural light in the restaurant.  In addition, one of the bays could have a roll-up door so they could be opened in the summer.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Great column by Hendricks today!

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 295025.htm
Heartless TIF process lacerates KC’s soul
MIKE HENDRICKS
The Kansas City Star
Mike Hendricks

Sadly, one year ago, we lost that renowned chicken shack, Stroud’s south, to road improvements.

Nichols Lunch closed in the fall for unspecified business reasons after 85 years.

Tasty memories are all we have left of those Kansas City originals, along with other one-of-a-kinds. Like the burgers at Earl’s. Like the tenderloins bigger than a dinner plate at Ross’ Grill. Like the hot, droopy, glazed doughnuts at the old Lamar’s on Linwood.

So on Thursday I figured I’d best pay my respects at the home of the pink pig by ordering an Ol’ Smoky, a side of cole slaw and, naturally, a diet Pepsi (must watch the waistline).

Reason: Before long, Danny Edwards’ Famous Kansas City BBQ will join the roster of the lost but not forgotten.

The Tax Increment Finance Commission signed a death warrant last week for the tiny place at 1227 Grand Blvd.

It was not unexpected.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i still have a very strong feeling that this will be the new location for embarq headquarters.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Why can't the get this guy into new space in the P&L district or any number of other locations?  I feel for him, but the place is a shack in a very high profile location.

They need to be fair to him though and give him a decent price for the property so he can relocate.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I'm supposing the TIF on this thing is for the parking garage?

This one was a little too late, but the city needs to slow it's parking garage fetish now that light rail is on the way.  At the least they can use that as a benefit to reduce the subsidy.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I know all 72 suites are sold, but did they sell for a "minor league" price?  Could they have gotten more for them now and made a deal like this more lucrative?

I'm sure AEG knows what they are doing.  I assume the suites were purchased at the assumption of getting a major league tenant, but at a risk of not getting one.

I would imagine AEG pretty much guaranteed a team as well.

I have always found the suites thing interesting.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

I do quite a bit of condemnation law in my practice and have found that property owner's get, on average, about 150% of fair market value.  Its best just to overpay and let Danny find his own place. 
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

GRID, apparently CWB has planned to develop this property for years, and has worked with Danny's to try to get them relocated, but apparently all attempts had failed (CWB was hands off w/ the relocation, it was up to Danny's, but CWB offered locations in the Loop).
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I have very mixed feelings about taking his property. He was there for years when the city didn't care. I've also seen many developments around the country in which they built around a property they could not get. Why couldn't the same thing happen here?

I also thought the goodyear building would be a great location. access to P&L and crossroads folks. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Unless another car repair place does in the former Goodyear space, I imagine that some toxic removal will have to be done before that building can be converted or leveled.

If decks are ever put over 670, it would be a great parcel for an apartment building or office tower.