Anton's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Anton's

Post by DaveKCMO »

smh wrote:
loftguy wrote:
DaveKCMO wrote:did anyone stop by on first friday? they were open to provide free food and drink, as well as an exhibit upstairs. staff has indeed been trained. should be any day now.
Still...no...liquor...license.
How is this possible?
he decided to start from scratch.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i hope that he diverted a few hundred bucks from his proposed "tilapia farm" in the basement to hire a licensing attorney, but it doesn't sound like it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote:i hope that he diverted a few hundred bucks from his proposed "tilapia farm" in the basement to hire a licensing attorney, but it doesn't sound like it.
It does seem like an expensive and protracted process. My father, who ran a restaurant and a couple of bars in KC until the late 60's is still bitter to this day about the licensing process.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

Stopped by last night for a drink, pretty cool place. They only had some of the taps going, but hey they are open and maybe in a week some food. Can't wait to go back! Nice wine list, the district is starting to come around nicely with the addition of Anton's and Affare.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Just curious... what regulations does the city have on butcher shops? Can you open one anywhere and what oversight is there? It seems that should be regulated more than alcohol.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

beautyfromashes wrote:Just curious... what regulations does the city have on butcher shops? Can you open one anywhere and what oversight is there? It seems that should be regulated more than alcohol.
Pshaw! Eating meat isn't a sin! Or whatever.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sign was all lit up last night and people inside... Is it a go?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Their FB says they will be fully open for dinner 10/31. Looking forward to trying it out!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Sign was all lit up last night and people inside... Is it a go?
from facebook:
After months of hard work we’re happy to report that Wednesday, October 31st, the restaurant will open! Our kitchen staff and servers are ready to go and we’ll use the first few days to fine tune everything. Many thanks to everyone who’s been in this past week to check out the extensive beer list and other bar offerings. The bar will still open at 4pm daily until the 31st. Starting Halloween we’ll assume our normal business hours Sun-Thurs 11am-12am, Fri-Sat 11am-1:30am. We’re eagerly waiting!
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Anton's is open. The bar now, food next week.

It's fab. Huge selection for the beer nerd in everyone.

Got the tour last night from a friend who works the bar. Saw the fish tanks and the hydro farm. They're gonna grow their own fish and herbs and lettuce and other stuff.

The patio out back is also very cool with a bar setup and a new brick smoker. Also have a water wall that circulates the water to heat the floor inside. Awesome views of the KPAC, Bartle Hall and downtown. It will be one of the best outdoor patios in town.

I doubt if there's another place like it in town or even the rest of the country.

Beer prices are about the same as Grinders, but with a much bigger selection.

Dug these up for you as well.

Twitter - https://twitter.com/Antons_Taproom
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Antons-T ... 1053957721

Check it out. It's open 7 days a week.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Had great meal and great time sitting at the chef's table. Beef knuckle sandwich was like having a melt in your mouth french dip with the au jus already in the meat. Save room for the pastry chef's creations.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Had dinner on Saturday. Full house with a birthday party of 20 taking up the butcher shop area and the upstairs still not open for 45 days due to city rezoning. Urg! We sat at a hightop in the bar area. Only half the menu was available, mostly salads, steaks, and sandwiches. They did show the other items on the menu and will have to come back. I got the steak and it was good though really peppery and maybe too salty for somes taste. It doesn't come with sides but at $1.50 oz it seemed a good deal. Starter salads were great. Service was a little shaky but it seemed mostly because the servers (and Anton himself) was a little amped up. After months of waiting, how can you blame them? Great atmosphere though I don't really know if the butcher shop will be a hit. For a date with the wife, I'm not sure I'd want to sit staring at sides of beef. Cool story on the menu about the building being the former headquarters of Nabisco. Overall, great place. Will be a rotational regular.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

been here a few times now and LOVE it. I only worried I'll never be able to show my face again, as my last visit was for a bachelor party that got a little rowdy. OK, a lot rowdy.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

beautyfromashes wrote:Cool story on the menu about the building being the former headquarters of Nabisco. Overall, great place. Will be a rotational regular.
I am pretty sure Nabisco did not have any ties to the KC area but this company did and could have been the HQ for the company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshine_Biscuits
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shocked they didn't romanticize their history of Daddy's.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Finally went today...great space. Checked out the basement...I can see why it took awhile to get everything done...looks like a mad scientist lab down there.

Excited for the full menu but the burger I had was pretty rockin.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I’ve been twice and really like the space. The first time was just for some drinks, which they do have a great beer selection and the second time was lunch. I had the pork burger, loved it with the country ham, bacon, prosciutto and cheddar. I must admit the “bacon island” sauce didn’t do much for me but the pork burger itself was very juicy and had a ton of flavor.

I’m looking forward to taking my fellow engineers to see how he has harnessed and used the cooling water from the condenser coils and his other many innovations. Next time I'm going to try the Beef knuckle sandwich. Never had one before.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Checked out the basement...I can see why it took awhile to get everything done...looks like a mad scientist lab down there.
it is indeed impressive, and deserving of any and all praise. hydroponics, people!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Checked out the basement...I can see why it took awhile to get everything done...looks like a mad scientist lab down there.
it is indeed impressive, and deserving of any and all praise. hydroponics, people!
This must have been the weekend to check out the basement. I agree that it is fascinating.

I had the short rib sandwich, and that was the clear winner between it and the pork burger (which was still pretty good). I will definitely be back, and even though I want to try more of the menu, it will be difficult to not order that sandwich again. The fries were fresh made but not really all that interesting. The beer selection is great.