2011 - 2012 College Basketball Season

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: 2011 - 2012 College Basketball Season

Post by MoMan »

shinatoo wrote:SEC has five top 25 teams right now. Big 12 has four, two of which will be leaving for the SEC next year. SEC basketball seams like a pretty big deal.
Don't forget, TCU will be joining the Big 12 next year. That should really cement the conference's basketball reputation.

:lol:
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shinatoo wrote:
KCMax wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I have a cbe tournament question. Where were the MU fans? Part of the reason cbe picks a local team is to sell tickets....it worked when ku played in it....it worked when Ksu played in it....hello it works pretty well when Iowa plays in it.....where are the black and gold? 11k attendance is unacceptable in my opinion.
Aside from Kentucky, basketball just isn't a big deal in the SEC.
SEC has five top 25 teams right now. Big 12 has four, two of which will be leaving for the SEC next year. SEC basketball seams like a pretty big deal.
There's a difference between being good and having fans care about it.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote:I remember many past Mizzou games at SC that have sold out or were close to sellouts. Trust me, the CBE isn't worried about Mizzou and its fanbase.

As many Kansas and Kansas State fans have been so eager to point out, the Mizzou basketball program has dished up a lot of disappointment over the past decade. All the recent conference realignment commotion has only served to push basketball further from the spotlight, here and around the country. 11K was a healthy crowd for the game last night given the circumstances, and the crowd at Arrowhead this weekend will draw hordes of free-spending Mizzou fans. I'm not sure why you focus on some empty seats at a well-attended Monday night basketball game against an unranked opponent to make your case about weak MU support. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Nobody is seriously concerned about this city's enthusiasm for Mizzou. Between the games at Arrowhead and Sprint, far more MU fans fill seats at sporting events in KC than do fans of K-State or KU. And a look at the rosters of current and past Mizzou basketball and football teams speaks volumes about the school's appeal to area high school athletes and their families.
:lol:
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Nice win last night for Mizzou. While the quality of Georgetown appeared to be solid last night, I still can't pin down how well KU is playing right out of the gate. Interestingly, KU and MU are #10 and #12 in the Kenpom.com tempo free efficiency stats. The stats really take shape in early January, but I think he has made efforts to provide better pre-season data so that the info is more meaningful at the beginning of the season (ie, combined returning player efficiency).

Early returns on the new Mizzou show that they are actually better offensively than they are defensively. They are limiting turnovers, on a torrid pace from 3pt land, but are pretty terrible so far at getting offensive boards. They continue to be effective at getting steals and are a very good defensive rebounding team. MU is still playing a fast game (25th in tempo to Arkansas' 71st).

KU looks sloppy at times, but they have somehow been good at limiting turnovers. They have been getting blocked like crazy (one of the worst by tempo in the country). They don't do anything extraordinarily well on defense, but they do almost everything ok which adds up to a top 25 defense. One slighly alarming stat is that KU has allowed on average 26% more free throw attemtps per field goal attempt than they have been able to achieve. This may be more due to the length of Georgetown and Kentucky (as with the blocked shots) and a small sample size than anything else. KU is about average in tempo (64th).

KSU is at #54. So far, they are good at getting to the line, great at avoiding blocks, but are terrible at preventing offensive rebounds and getting steals. Oddly, they are fouling a fair amount, and teams are shooting 80%+ against them from the line. KSU is about average in tempo (82nd).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lot of excuses....how many of our resident mu fans made it? The cbe takes a couple thousand in tickets for itself....assuming every other ticket was a mu fan......that's 9k. Wow.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Hmm....after KU lost to UK, it was nearly 24 hours after anyone posted about it, and even that was Highlander who merely asked why nobody was talking about it.

And, the very next morning after MU's game, KSU fans post...ABOUT MISSOURI!

Thanks for your concern and obsession with Mizzou. But, I'm pretty sure Mizzou, and their fans, will be ok.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

A university and its fans brings more than 11K to the Sprint Center on what would otherwise be a sleepy Monday night, will likely bring even more ecoonomy-stimulating dollars downtown for a game this evening, and will bring exponentially more fans and dollars to a football game at Arrowhead this weekend...and the person who grumbled most about the economic impact to KC of Mizzou leaving the Big 12 is grumbling?
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I for one enjoyed the pathetic turnout by the Tiger "faithful". It just cements the fact even more that KC is a KU town and always will be. MU fans don't care about showing up to support their team. They don't travel well, whether it's to Texas or if it's down the street to the Sprint Center.
MoMan
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by MoMan »

kcmetro wrote:I for one enjoyed the pathetic turnout by the Tiger "faithful". It just cements the fact even more that KC is a KU town and always will be. MU fans don't care about showing up to support their team. They don't travel well, whether it's to Texas or if it's down the street to the Sprint Center.

:roll:

I think the turnout at Arrowhead this weekend will be all anyone needs to know about which school owns KC, which school's fans care more about showing up to support their team, and which school's athletic program pumps more money into the KC economy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Allthings....my post is in concern for the cbe and KC....mu just happens to be the pathetic fanbase that can't support the tournament like other local schools do....
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Thank you for your concern for the CBE and KC. The CBE doesn't have the same local team in it every year, so it should be fine. KC is a major metro area, it should be fine no matter how many fans attend one game.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

MoMan wrote:
kcmetro wrote:I for one enjoyed the pathetic turnout by the Tiger "faithful". It just cements the fact even more that KC is a KU town and always will be. MU fans don't care about showing up to support their team. They don't travel well, whether it's to Texas or if it's down the street to the Sprint Center.

:roll:

I think the turnout at Arrowhead this weekend will be all anyone needs to know about which school owns KC, which school's fans care more about showing up to support their team, and which school's athletic program pumps more money into the KC economy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is great comedy, MoMan. Keep it coming.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

With mu turnout I'm guessing the cbe isn't going to be quick to invite them back....to a tournament in their own state.

KC would benefit from the cbe surviving and thriving.....11k tickets sold isn't going accomplish that goal.

So no mu fans here went?
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

If the CBE doesn't invite Mizzou back, that's Mizzou's problem, not the CBE's problem. That's why I don't understand your concern for the CBE/Mizzou. Both should be fine.

Again, why are you so worried about who went to the game and who didn't?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not concerned with mu....I'm concerned with support of the cbe and was frankly shocked with last nights attendance given KC's abundance of mu fans and alumni.

I guess if mu fans aren't worried then there should be no complaints if cbe keeps inviting ku and Ksu to their tournament......right?

Like I said if Ksu has 11k show up for their game ill be on my own fanbase about this as well....people whine about KC becoming too much of a ku city....well then prove them wrong and support the other schools like ku bball fans show up for theirs.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

AllThingsKC wrote: Again, why are you so worried about who went to the game and who didn't?
Because he's a fucking troll who hasn't had anything worthwhile to contribute to the topic of local collegiate athletics in months.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yes that's it exactly. I'll try and use your post as an example by which to post by.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

MoMan wrote:I think the turnout at Arrowhead this weekend will be all anyone needs to know about which school owns KC, which school's fans care more about showing up to support their team, and which school's athletic program pumps more money into the KC economy.
I went to a game in Columbia in 1999, and I remember a student section that was about 15% full and probably a total of 30k people at the 50 degree October afternoon game. When your team sucks, fans do not support as well. KU sucks at football right now. No question. KU fans would support a somewhat competitive product, but we are currently in the process of voting with our lack of attendance. So yes, KU fans will likely not show very well at this game. The product has been so bad this year, I think that some fans are hoping we get embarrassed so that we have no choice but to fire our coach. I'm still going to put the over/under on arrests at the game at 50.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Yes, Powercat, there should be no complains from MU fans if the CBE keeps inviting KU and KSU and not MU. There will be complaints, because people like to complain, but they'd have no reason to complain.

Maybe I should be concerned with MU's poor attendance in KC. But, I'm not even worried about MU's attendance in Columbia because I understand why (I think) that is. Just like, I'm not going to freak out if MU only brings 11k to Sprint Center on the same night as a Chiefs game and the same week the football team will be playing at Arrowhead. I've seen sell out (or near sell outs) for MU at Sprint Center before. So, I'm not worried about one game. Now, if MU has an excellent season, and still can't sell out the Sprint Center for the Big 12 Tournament, that's a different story.

And, I wxpect both the CBE and KC to be fine no matter what, so I am not worried about them either.

And no, I don't think Powercat is a troll. I've never really known him to act trollish, other than smack talk. And, I don't count smack talk as trolling because a) some smack talk can be fun, and b) I do it too. Unless, of course, it is Powercat's master plan to start this fourm just so he can troll MU fans. If so, well done, KCP! :twisted:
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Caught me :)