Shovel your whole sidewalk; not just your doorstep.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Shovel your whole sidewalk; not just your doorstep.

Post by FangKC »

In my neighborhood in the Old Northeast, my adjacent neighbors do a  pretty good job shoveling right away. We all mow our yards within a day of each other as well.

Last week was the first time I had kids come to my door asking to shovel snow in the two years of snowstorms I've had at this house. I was thrilled to have them do it, and encouraged them to come back for future snows.

The problem is that there really aren't kids coming around to shovel snow anymore. When I was a kid, we fanned out as soon as the snow stopped to shovel because it was how we earned money. My parents didn't give allowances.

We have several old people living on my block that need their walks shoveled, but there aren't people to always do it for them. Sometimes I see other neighbors doing it for them after they finish their own. But I see plenty of walks unshoveled around the neighborhood where old people live.

I'm sure the old people would be thrilled to have kids do it, but there just aren't many kids doing it anymore.  My mother always made me do it because she knew old people needed it done.
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

bahua wrote: It would make sense to me if the city employed/contracted a large temporary shoveling brigade, and enforced the shoveling ordinance by taking note of who is not shoveling in a reasonable amount of time by sending their people over to shovel, at a punitive rate, which is then tacked onto the property owner's property taxes or utilities.

If you hit people in the wallet, they will fall in line.
The problem is having the owner or renter paying the bill.  The city would have the upfront cost but if the bill isn't paid right away it just becomes a lien on the property, just like for weed cutting, and collected years later when the property sells.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Dcid should not be clearing sidewalks although they do a great job of trying.  Love those kids.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

would everyone expect a crossroads CID to do the same?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I would not expect any of them to clear sidewalks....maybe how dcid does it where they help bridge the cleaning between sidewalk and road for the ramps, etc.

I saw plows everywhere tonight between leaving working and then eventually walking home....I was impressed actually.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: I would not expect any of them to clear sidewalks....maybe how dcid does it where they help bridge the cleaning between sidewalk and road for the ramps, etc.

I saw plows everywhere tonight between leaving working and then eventually walking home....I was impressed actually.
I had to drive home tonight from the Plaza. What typically takes 10 minutes tonight took 1.5 hours. It was awful and reminds me of why I truly hate the way we've developed our cities. I-35 was a parking lot.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

smh wrote: I had to drive home tonight from the Plaza. What typically takes 10 minutes tonight took 1.5 hours. It was awful and reminds me of why I truly hate the way we've developed our cities. I-35 was a parking lot.
Just curious...how/why did you take 35 from the Plaza to the River Market? KCATA routes were only 15-30 minutes behind btw.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Heard our sidewalks being shoveled already....

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I drove home last night, and what usually takes 6 minutes took about 30. But most of that was close to the office, around the many many approaches and "sneak routes" to 35-S. Once I got past those, I was going 30-40mph.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: I drove home last night, and what usually takes 6 minutes took about 30. But most of that was close to the office, around the many many approaches and "sneak routes" to 35-S. Once I got past those, I was going 3000-4000mph.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Oh snap!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

FangKC wrote:I'm sure the old people would be thrilled to have kids do it, but there just aren't many kids doing it anymore.  My mother always made me do it because she knew old people needed it done.
There's this guy Doug who shovels around here for a few bucks. Sometimes I have him dig my car out. If you know of anyone with a few bucks to spare who needs their sidewalk shoveled, I'd be happy to let him know. The only catch is that I think he has a drinking problem, but he's a nice guy and does good work.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

DaveKCMO wrote: would everyone expect a crossroads CID to do the same?

I have no problem shoveling the sidewalk in front of my business, I was happy to do it last night and today, and wouldn't expect a CID to be responsible for that.

However, as a bus rider, I would expect the city to clear a path to the bus stops, and maybe at least try to keep the shelters clean.  Getting around and just getting to the stops last night and today was immensely difficult.  The sidewalk running along Main St. over the railroad tracks hadn't been touched, and the MAX stop on the Plaza was so filled with snow and grime I was literally standing in the street waiting for the bus. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KC Sporting Life wrote:
and the MAX stop on the Plaza was so filled with snow and grime I was literally standing in the street waiting for the bus. 
ATA responsibility not the city.  ATA maintains the shelters.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah twitter the metro, they are good at getting those cleared back off usually.  It's a constant battle between business owners doing the sidewalks, city/county/state doing the streets, and ata doing the bus stops so there is a walkway from sidewalk to curb.

Walnut around 12th looks bad today.....problem is they haven't been able to clean off the parking lane yet.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: Just curious...how/why did you take 35 from the Plaza to the River Market? KCATA routes were only 15-30 minutes behind btw.
SW Trafficway to i-35 is by far faster than taking stop and go Main Street. I don't agree with it, but our lack of density makes it possible and I'd rather get there in 10 minutes (more sleeping in) than the 40 minutes it takes MAX. I know, I'm a terrible person. I'm thinking of taking MAX soon, but I just started work and haven't worked it in just yet.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I would like to take this opportunity to say that the city has pulled a complete 180 on the snow removal, this time around. At least downtown, the sidewalks and streets were cleared quickly and very well. Perhaps this was the city's bid for some kind of magazine ranking, but whatever the reason, great job, KC!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed.

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

bahua wrote: I would like to take this opportunity to say that the city has pulled a complete 180 on the snow removal, this time around. At least downtown, the sidewalks and streets were cleared quickly and very well. Perhaps this was the city's bid for some kind of magazine ranking, but whatever the reason, great job, KC!
It's an election year.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Funk for mayor!!    :shock:  :P