Suspicious death in Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tragic beating in Westport

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote: Is it just me or do a large percentage of these crimes occur in or around America's Pub?  Or involve patrons leaving/entering America's Pub?  
That was my first thought. I don't know what it is about that place, but it seems to be the magnet for this kind of activity.

At the very least, this will add to the perception that Westport is unsafe, and that is a problem, particularly when I thought Westport was making some gains in that respect. FWIW, I do know of one business owner that was considering putting a new business in Westport, but was a bit uneasy about the perceived crime. I can imagine this will probably scare her off for good.

I don't think this can be just "swept under the rug" or dismissed as just random crime.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

This is absolutely bizarre...

so the star article is titled "Man who dies in Westport beating 'could make anyone smile'"

but then goes on to say the police still don't know what happened.... thus making one ask "then why does the article title say he died in a beating???"

The other coverage i read has said the same thing - the injuries could be from a beating or a fall, nothing conclusive from the physical injury.

Is the family actually divulging what they've been privately told?  Or are these friends just making up their interpretation?  Am i missing some article that details what is seen in the video?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ComandanteCero wrote: This is absolutely bizarre...

so the star article is titled "Man who dies in Westport beating 'could make anyone smile'"

but then goes on to say the police still don't know what happened.... thus making one ask "then why does the article title say he died in a beating???"

The other coverage i read has said the same thing - the injuries could be from a beating or a fall, nothing conclusive from the physical injury.

Is the family actually divulging what they've been privately told?  Or are these friends just making up their interpretation?  Am i missing some article that details what is seen in the video?
Just because police can't say what happened doesn't mean the doctors couldn't. Two different things. I'm guessing they can tell the difference between a beating, a fall, a hit and run, etc.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

I don't know... an earlier article said it was the guy's uncle who called in the police to find out what happened, not the doctors.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, the only place in any coverage of this incident where it says "beating" is in the headlines.  there isn't a single article yet that actually says there was violence. 

headline:  WESTPORT ATTACK!

article:  eh, police don't know what happened.  could have been a fall, or something, who knows.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What's really weird is almost the exact same thing happened in Manhattan this weekend. Student found in ditch, nobody knows what happened. He died as well.

Hope somebody figures out what happened here and there. The worst to me is not knowing and having these rumors run rampant
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

What's really weird is that every time I go to Westport, I go through this intersection because I live west off of Westport Rd and there are ALWAYS cops at this corner on the weekends and sometimes multiple vehicles. I haven't been on a weekend night in about a month, do the police have a lower presence in Westport lately?
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The nature of the injuries as described in the reports I've read are perplexing. In a beating or a vehicular hit-and-run, or even a long fall (say, leaping off Kelly's deck) you'd expect more blunt trauma type injuries, maybe broken bones. It sounds like outside the head trauma, the guy mostly suffered lacerations to his limbs. Very strange. I almost wouldn't be surprised if this kid simply got too drunk to walk and fell hard, hitting his head on something at an extremely unfortunate angle. Or got pushed by someone in what was supposed to be a minor altercation that led to far more injury than was intended. :/

Tragic and all around messed up deal either way, but based on the number of folks that had to have been out and about, I'm sure we'll know what really happened eventually.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: What's really weird is that every time I go to Westport, I go through this intersection because I live west off of Westport Rd and there are ALWAYS cops at this corner on the weekends and sometimes multiple vehicles. I haven't been on a weekend night in about a month, do the police have a lower presence in Westport lately?
Exactly.  I still can't decide if the locked down, streets closed Westport is safer than the one with open streets or not.  The locked down version encourages a lot more walking around and mingling away from areas with police.  The open version allows people to get into cabs without walking too far, but the cops sometimes disappear close to closing time in search of DUIs.  The number of security officers and police does seem to fluctuate wildly.

I can't imagine that a number of reasonable people didn't see exactly what happened, it being right outside of America's Pub and all.  So many questions.  If it was a wreck, someone would have definitely said something.  Update, though:

http://www.kctv5.com/news/25378199/detail.html
A spokesman for the Westport entertainment district said security officers were just steps away when they were called over, and saw nothing out of the ordinary.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

mean wrote: The nature of the injuries as described in the reports I've read are perplexing. In a beating or a vehicular hit-and-run, or even a long fall (say, leaping off Kelly's deck) you'd expect more blunt trauma type injuries, maybe broken bones. It sounds like outside the head trauma, the guy mostly suffered lacerations to his limbs. Very strange. I almost wouldn't be surprised if this kid simply got too drunk to walk and fell hard, hitting his head on something at an extremely unfortunate angle. Or got pushed by someone in what was supposed to be a minor altercation that led to far more injury than was intended. :/
CSI KC
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Is there a "No Loitering" Law that can be enforced?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

http://www.kctv5.com/news/25381654/detail.html
Murray was found in a ditch Friday on a road that borders the Kansas State campus. Police say he had obvious blows to the face and a serious head injury.

Moldrup said the case remains classified as an aggravated battery until an autopsy is completed.
More answers to this story than the one in Westport. But the face that there's that many people around and nobody has come forward is fishy.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

I hope I'm not being narrowminded when I say that the America's Pub crowd has got to go.  It just seems in my opinion, and corroborated by others on this board, that the problem people are coming from AP.  Hell, this is evidenced purely by the militia-esque police presence at that intersection. 

Westport is really surprising me post-P&L.  It's evolving into a cool, hip neighborhood with a lot to offer.  And its evolution has been pretty rapid. 

So, the question becomes, how to get AP shut down.  Highwoods shut down Reverse in pretty quick order.  Pure and simple.  Just forced 'em out b/c they didn't fit the "model."  Can the same thing be done in Westport??
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KC-wildcat wrote: I hope I'm not being narrowminded when I say that the America's Pub crowd has got to go.  It just seems in my opinion, and corroborated by others on this board, that the problem people are coming from AP.  Hell, this is evidenced purely by the militia-esque police presence at that intersection. 

Westport is really surprising me post-P&L.  It's evolving into a cool, hip neighborhood with a lot to offer.  And its evolution has been pretty rapid. 

So, the question becomes, how to get AP shut down.  Highwoods shut down Reverse in pretty quick order.  Pure and simple.  Just forced 'em out b/c they didn't fit the "model."  Can the same thing be done in Westport??
You know the same crowd will just move across the street to Ernie Biggs.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

WSPanic wrote: You know the same crowd will just move across the street to Ernie Biggs.
ya think?  Seem like the concepts are too different. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

What else has happened outside of America's Pub?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: What else has happened outside of America's Pub?
Black people hang out there.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

mean wrote: Black people hang out there.
Well, thuggish dudes and skanks of all colors.  It's a place where the most immature usually go, other than Kelly's.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

mean wrote: Black people hang out there.
Um, yeah...  and

http://www.kctv5.com/news/20722164/detail.html  Melee in Westport Leads to Arrests
http://www.kmbc.com/news/20724236/detail.html  Several Arrested in Westport Fight

Just googled it and these two incidents popped up pretty quick.  Several other reports of gunshots and disturbances coming from America's Pub vacinity.  
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KC-wildcat wrote: Um, yeah...  and

http://www.kctv5.com/news/20722164/detail.html  Melee in Westport Leads to Arrests
http://www.kmbc.com/news/20724236/detail.html  Several Arrested in Westport Fight

Just googled it and these two incidents popped up pretty quick.  Several other reports of gunshots and disturbances coming from America's Pub vacinity.  
I would hope you can do better than that. That's the same incident. All it was was a couple fights with no injuries over a year ago.