Fran's

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Fran's

Post by DaveKCMO »

went for breakfast today at around 10. pretty decent crowd, so the staff was a bit flustered. our food took over 30 minutes (there were 5 of us), but it was all excellent quality and presentation. very nice to have a full bar and excellent coffee. i love the interior! no faux nostalgia, just clean and modern.

i had the traditional breakfast: 2 eggs, bacon, and potatoes. others had pancakes (choc chip + banana), the kansas city scramble, and biscuits + gravy. all were quite pleased (our normal sundays are at YST or bluestem).

protip: the extensive menu is posted outdoors.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Dave - what kind of $$$ are we looking at? The menu's online, but without pricing.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

My shepherd's pie was about $10-11 I think.  The wife's tuna wrap was $8 or so. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

basic breakfast was $6.99, i think. our bill was kinda high ($47 for both of us), but we had brunch cocktails. if you want a cheap option, get a side of biscuits + gravy. it was a massive serving for only $3.25.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: basic breakfast was $6.99, i think. our bill was kinda high ($47 for both of us), but we had brunch cocktails. if you want a cheap option, get a side of biscuits + gravy. it was a massive serving for only $3.25.
How was the B&G?  I am a connoisseur of biscuits and gravy and have standards.  Was it good sausagey gravy?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: How was the B&G?  I am a connoisseur of biscuits and gravy and have standards.  Was it good sausagey gravy?
I'm waiting for the response on this, too.  We were there Sat. and I saw a lady inhaling a b&g.  She made it look good.

I, like Dave, had a basic traditional breakfast.  The gf had Benedict.  We each rated our meal a 6.  Ambiance/decor rated much better.  We'll be back to try other items and to give the operation a chance to fine tune (and for the grill to get seasoned.)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i abhor B+G -- can breakfast get any unhealthier? -- but those who ordered them said they were delicious. it was a large plate with a bed of breakfast potatoes and two biscuits covered in an extreme dose of sausagey white gravy. looked like a full meal to me.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: i abhor B+G -- can breakfast get any unhealthier? -- but those who ordered them said they were delicious. it was a large plate with a bed of breakfast potatoes and two biscuits covered in an extreme dose of sausagey white gravy. looked like a full meal to me.
PERFECT!  Think I will order that horrid and awful dish next time!  :-D
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I LOVE B&G!  Woot!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

DaveKCMO wrote: can breakfast get any unhealthier? --
A side of poutine w your B&G perhaps?

mmm delicious. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: i abhor B+G
=D>
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

no delicious breakfast food is healthy.  biscuits and gravy are delicious.

besides, it's good to eat fatty food at breakfast because you have all day to burn it off.

speaking of B&G, you say tomato's version is rather ridiculous - they dont even use biscuits, they have some sort of dense bread that becomes hard as a rock when it is cooked.  it destroys the inside of your mouth.  it tastes like some sort of stouffer's french bread pizza with gravy on it. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: PERFECT!  Think I will order that horrid and awful dish next time!  :-D
PS, have you tried the Saturday B & G bar at the Brick?  I think it's 11-4 and they always have fresh biscuits and then three gravies from which to choose (traditional and then things like cider, maple, turkey, chocolate, cajun, pumpkin???, hell-fire, italian...etc).  It's $3.95 for an all you can eat buffet and Jackie who preps it is an awesome cook.

$1 bloody marys on Saturdays, too.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

loftguy wrote: PS, have you tried the Saturday B & G bar at the Brick?  I think it's 11-4 and they always have fresh biscuits and then three gravies from which to choose (traditional and then things like cider, maple, turkey, chocolate, cajun, pumpkin???, hell-fire, italian...etc).  It's $3.95 for an all you can eat buffet and Jackie who preps it is an awesome cook.

I have heard about said B&G bar.  I think we should make a trip there.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ignatius wrote: some prices are a bit too Canadian but it should still do well as not all items are pricey.  
hmm perhaps you are supposed to pay in Loonies - what's the exchange rate at this week?  :D
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

loftguy wrote: PS, have you tried the Saturday B & G bar at the Brick?  I think it's 11-4 and they always have fresh biscuits and then three gravies from which to choose (traditional and then things like cider, maple, turkey, chocolate, cajun, pumpkin???, hell-fire, italian...etc).  It's $3.95 for an all you can eat buffet and Jackie who preps it is an awesome cook.

Definitely worth checking out. They also have a decent breakfast menu.

Had the B/G at Swagger this weekend. They do breakfast-only 10-2 on saturdays (was trying to go for lunch). It was awesome...

/thread hijack
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: no delicious breakfast food is healthy.  biscuits and gravy are delicious.

besides, it's good to eat fatty food at breakfast because you have all day to burn it off.

speaking of B&G, you say tomato's version is rather ridiculous - they dont even use biscuits, they have some sort of dense bread that becomes hard as a rock when it is cooked.  it destroys the inside of your mouth.  it tastes like some sort of stouffer's french bread pizza with gravy on it. 
b&g are wildly overrated and fucking gross imho. just put nasty gravy on everything and it's gonna be delicious. e.g. poutine.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ignatius wrote: my report.... we hoovered out..  had a smoked salmon omelet with feta added ($1.30 extra).  was pretty good but rather pricey at about $15, excluding the coffee.  friend had biggie breakfast ($10+) and an orange juice, maybe two.  total tab was $37 for two before tip, a bit up there.  

second time had a mickie with nachos.  was just in a munchi mood after movie. they've got boulevard in bottles. nachos were passable for diner food, but not above average.

curious to see all of the asian items - rice bowls, thai pasta, even muso soup, an indicator of the large asian population in toronto.  whereas our diners might represent a slant of meximix food.  they also localized a few items with kc strip and a kc breakfast item i never heard of... some kind of an egg on english muffin... did they make that up?

great diner spot for downtown.  some prices are a bit too Canadian but it should still do well as not all items are pricey.  i'll be back to try other items.
i wouldn't go to a brand new, Cordish entertainment district for a cheap breakfast. just fyi...
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

In hilarious terms, the loonie is pretty much dead even with the US dollar at $.97 Canadian to $1 US. Both the terrible economy in the US compared to the improving economy of Canada.

But don't mind that, continue with the B&G discussion.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Went for dinner last night

Poutine - delicious gravy, however they use shredded cheese instead of curds.  Still worthwhile.  Caution! - portion large enough that you need at least four adults.

Monte Cristo - solid tripple decker, perhaps could have used a bit more meat.

bacon cheesburger - GF ordered this; she said it was solid but not necessarily remarkable. 

coconut cream pie - best I have ever eaten.  ridiculously good macaroon cookie-like crust. 

The place was almost completely abandoned and the hostess had an exclamation of shock when we came in.  Definitely a joint to go to with groups of friends with diverse tastes as the menu is ridiculously large.