KC grows in census challenge

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: KC grows in census challenge

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: Pull up any demographic map showing the history of black migration and you will see how it has moved into South KC (near south side) Hickman Mills, Ruskin, and further out south KC then Grandview and now Belton and Lee's Summit.
Please feel free to additional information or correct me if the memory is not so clear.  During my time of living in the Hickman Mills SD (70's until the late 80's) it was mostly a white SD.  I can't remember all of the names of the elementary schools and the number but all of them would have been considered white with a very small number of blacks, except for one.  That one would have been considered to be a black school with a small number of whites and that school is located along Longview Rd and Food Lane.  The story goes that a developer of a subdivision (Kirkside, I believe) defaulted on a HUD loan and then HUD started to move many black families there as a sort of public housing.

That is why there was a certain leapfrog of black families moving into SE KCMO and Grandview.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

We just added another 5,000 people.  New city news release just said a new Census challenged has resulted in a revised revised population of 480,129.  Here's hoping for 500,000 in 2010.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Will the city soon surpass its 1970 population peak?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

dangerboy wrote: We just added another 5,000 people. 
Do they have jobs?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Do they have jobs?
No, they're retired fuddy duddys living is south jackson county. 8)
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

According to Labor Stats, KC metro continues to grow in labor force while jobs are not.  Part of KC's unemployment % increase is due to more people moving here w/out a job in addition to decrease in jobs.  For some other cities, unemployment increases despite people leaving town.  It's likely because job loss is greater than people leaving town.

It's curious that KC labor force is growing (metro and likely city) at a good clip while surrounding metros have shrinking labor forces (Denver, MSP, STL).  It could be good for the metro in the long run, but for now creates more competition for those looking.

http://data.bls.gov/servlet/SurveyOutpu ... ol=XGtable
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Well, one way to stop sprawl AND keep increasing population is to stop building things and just keep challenging the numbers.  At this rate, if we keep challenging the number, KCMO could have 2 million people in its city limits by next Christmas!

I don't understand how the census bureau keeps missing this many people.  How is that even possible?  How do we know the 2010 numbers will be accurate?
KC is the way to be!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Whose to say that the revised numbers are accurate?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Whose to say that the revised numbers are accurate?
Whose to say they aren't?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I would think the city would have a valid challenge if they see a significant increase in tax returns of KCMO citizens.  

And then there is an obvious increase of illegal and uncounted street 'citizens'.  If you've lived in the city core for 15+ years (as I have), I don't think you'd debate that.  Or would anyone?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"who IS to say..."
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How can the census be accurate when conservatives keep telling people not to cooperate with something mandated in the constitution?
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

When St. Louis did this, I was kind of wondering if it was just a matter of the Census Bureau just taking the easy way out.  We will find out who is right or wrong pretty soon here, except for:
moderne wrote: How can the census be accurate when conservatives keep telling people not to cooperate with something mandated in the constitution?
](*,)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote: How can the census be accurate when conservatives keep telling people not to cooperate with something mandated in the constitution?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

dangerboy wrote: Whose to say they aren't?
The point is "how accurate this number, or any number is?"  Unless there is a small town where everyone knows everyone then one can safely assume that the count is accurate.  But in a large community where some of the population is rather fluid all the numbers can be are an estimate.  Yes, people can do certain steps and refine the estimate but after all of the steps have been taken, still, the number is an estimate.  So to say the number is very percise, such as 480,129 then that implies that the number is quite percise instead of a reasonable estimate.
How can the census be accurate when conservatives keep telling people not to cooperate with something mandated in the constitution?

Oh, yes.  Put all of the blame on the conservatives.  The problem is universal no matter where one stands in the political spectrum for many reasons.