NCAA tournament at Sprint Center

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: NCAA tournament at Sprint Center

Post by KC-wildcat »

The NCAA must be VERY impressed with what they've seen in Kansas City so far.  I got to the Live! Block around 4:00 and it was packed.  A lot of KU and Memphis fans.  Pretty good number of Michigan, OU, CU fans.  Some MU and KSU fans were there too.  Really cool college sports atmosphere.

CBS was butchering the broadcast on the big screen.  Instead of watching the Maryland v. Cal game, we got to see North Carolina have unprotected sex with Radford. 

Around 5:00pm the pep rallies began on the front stage.  OU, then Clemson, then Michigan. 

SC was packed.  Atmosphere was really fun.  After the games, Live! Block was full.  Pedestrians filled the streets and sidewalks from Broadway to Grand and 670 to 14th.  The city was alive.  A lot of NAIA fans were also milling through the city.

Only Negative:  Cupinis for dinner.  Took us about 45 minutes to get our food.  They had two guys working the kitchen.  Simply unnaceptable given the weekend events.       
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

geeman68 wrote: I think a lot of people are impressed with the Sprint Center and the surrounding options and nearby attractions.  I think it gives us a real shot at getting the Big 12 Tourney as a permanent event and thus knocks us out of regional contention which is unfortunate.   :?
I would rather have the Big 12 tournament every year than the regional tournament once or twice.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

B12 tournament is almost a gauranteed sell out and big crowd in KC - whereas a regional, if you wind up with some dud teams, is probably more likely to have partial capacity.  On the other side of the scale, a regional is more likely to generate non-local attendees and hotel stays. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: B12 tournament is almost a gauranteed sell out and big crowd in KC - whereas a regional, if you wind up with some dud teams, is probably more likely to have partial capacity.  On the other side of the scale, a regional is more likely to generate non-local attendees and hotel stays. 
If the Sprint Center is at full capacity for Michigan v. Clemson and Oklahoma v. Morgan State, I think the "dud" argument goes right out the window. 

Michigan - I'm sure they travel well.  Saw a decent number of fans.
Clemson - I think I saw one or two orange football jerseys walking around.
Oklahoma - see Clemson.
Morgan State - ...
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: If the Sprint Center is at full capacity for Michigan v. Clemson and Oklahoma v. Morgan State, I think the "dud" argument goes right out the window. 

Michigan - I'm sure they travel well.  Saw a decent number of fans.
Clemson - I think I saw one or two orange football jerseys walking around.
Oklahoma - see Clemson.
Morgan State - ...
1) it wasn't full - about a thousand short.

2) Oklahoma and Michigan appeared to have used most all of their allotments.  Clemson did a pretty respectable job for a school without a tremendous basketball history.  And Morgan State - well there will always be at least one of those in a regional session.  It would be very easy to do much worse than that session group - Had that been UT instead of OU for example, there would have been less than a quarter of the fans.  We got extremely luck with Michigan - you can't count on getting a ten seed with that kind of well-heeled, traveling fan base.  You could very easily wound up with one of your higher seeds going to one of the Big East schools with BBall prowess but a fan base that will never travel west of NY for a game. 
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

WHY IN THE FUCK ARE THEY SHOWING THE SYRICUSE GAME INSTEAD OF THE KU GAME ON CBS?!?!?!?!  AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

okay, it's 11:30, maybe I over reacted... and remember you can't spell over react without overie...
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

geeman68 wrote:I think it gives us a real shot at getting the Big 12 Tourney as a permanent event and thus knocks us out of regional contention which is unfortunate.   :?
Indianapolis hosted the Big 10 tournament this year and is also host to a regional final next weekend.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shaffe wrote: Indianapolis hosted the Big 10 tournament this year and is also host to a regional final next weekend.
I was going to say, what about all those years we hosted the Big 8 tournament. Surely we hosted NCAA games too. I don't think its either/or.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: I was going to say, what about all those years we hosted the Big 8 tournament. Surely we hosted NCAA games too. I don't think its either/or.
Yea...the NCAA has no say over where conferences decide to have their tournaments, and I doubt they care enough to block a regional from going to a city that has a conference tournament held there.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I found this NCAA tournament Guide to KC on the basketball website of a team playing in the first round.  It does a fair job at recommending a few good places to go but decries the lack of public transportation. 

http://www.collegerag.org/wordpress/200 ... /#more-596
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Highlander wrote: ...but decries the lack of public transportation. 

Sounds about right.  Not like we can change much though, we already passed a vote once to get us a light rail system.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Highlander wrote: I found this NCAA tournament Guide to KC on the basketball website of a team playing in the first round.  It does a fair job at recommending a few good places to go but decries the lack of public transportation. 

I commented to set a few things straight, including the fact that transit is actually pretty good between downtown and the Plaza -- and that Famous Dave's isn't your best bet for barbecue.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

The guy commented about yours now  :o
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Long lines and reflections in the Sprint Center glass.

(photoblog link clickable!)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit