My New House, Restoration and such

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: My New House, Restoration and such

Post by PumpkinStalker »

studentper wrote: If it helps you, when I stripped our vents in the old house, I was able to soak the center grills only (the part you painted tan in the finished dining room picture) in a strong stripper (it ate through the gloves) and use a fine steel wool and chopsticks to remove the paint.  The grill came out of the stripper with a copper/black patina thing that we were able to leave unpainted.  The outside frame was a mess that we painted the same color as the room trim.  good luck.
Copper/black patina sounds cool.

But I must correct you, the dining room is NOT finished!  In fact, it hasn't begun.  :D  I'm debating carefully stripping the gunky paint out of the grape trim/crown moulding, as well as the corbells.  The plaster frames around the walls that are white are ok to probably just be repainted, but all the detailed plaster is so gunky from layers and layers and layers of paint that it's lost it's definition.  I'm also considering stripping the base moulding to see what kind of wood (probably pine, much of the trim work is pine in the house) and staining it dark like it was originally.  The dining room was originally an olivey pea green according to the bottom layer underneath an outlet cover, not sure if I'm willing to go that route!
loftguy wrote: Pumpkin Stalker:

You should pick up your dental picks at Harry Epsteins, 8th and Cenral, across from the old Phoenix location.  As a renovation driven home owner Epsteins may have some special appeal to you.
Excellent, thanks.  I will check them out, I've always looked in windows and thought it was a cool old place.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

awesome work, i am jealous.  i am completely inept with DIY projects.  my household is basically at a standstill right now b/c i can't figure out how to install a toilet pump or fix my backed-up garbage disposal.  :x
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Thanks Alpha!

Good tip kucer.  Fortunately, that's the only room that had wallpaper.  Right now I'm stripping layers of pain off of the metal duct grills which is much more fun than wallpaper.  They look like they may have been shiney chrome originally but I think they're too scratched up to leave bare metal so I'll probably spray them black. 
There was a place in Waldo that did acid dips for stripping, was great for vents where there was no way to get in the nooks and crannys.  It was behind all the antique places on 75th
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Hey Chriz, underneath your disposal smack dab in the center is most likely a hex bit.  Stick a matching hex bit in the hole and turn back and forth.  If it's jammed with debris, this should free it up and it won't make that horrific buzz like it's melting down anymore.  (If that's the problem).  Lucky me, I had someone dump excess dry cement patch mix which solidified in my disposal, rendering it useless.  I bought a new one and wrote a death threat which is taped on the faucet handle for anyone dumb enough to do that again.
Last edited by PumpkinStalker on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

A few more random pictures.  This is the living room (obviously).  I bought the piano and the couch for $200.  For those of you in the know, the couch is a Maitland Smith, of the Natchez collection.  Very expensive couch and has a down cushion!  The piano is Steinway but I'm not sure what year.  Can't seem to understand the codes underneath the cover.  Anyone know where to go with that?

The previous owner made had a section of the attic made into an extra room.  Not sure what I'll do with it.  I think it will be the computer room/office for now.  It has real bamboo floors and I call it the bowling alley room.

Kitchen before having the ceiling re-textured to cover bad patch jobs from old light fixtures, an old water leak from the second floor, etc.

And during!

This is me beginning to strip the gunk off the plaster corbells.  Very painstaking process but it's going to be nice when they're done.  Underneath the gold is bright pink, underneath that is two different shades of beige/cream.

Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I like the details of your house.  Very Cali-bungalow.  They don't make them like they used to :P
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

PS- You sure those corbells are plaster?  You might be able to take them off and have them dipped.  Would save you a ton of time. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

beautyfromashes wrote: PS- You sure those corbells are plaster?  You might be able to take them off and have them dipped.  Would save you a ton of time. 
Yep.  If you look up at the top by the wall you can see a nice big chip that I'll have to recreate.  I'm confident there is no way I can safely pop them off without ruining them or having to sawzall a chunk of wall around them.  But this is my first "restoration" so if anyone does have an idea, I'm all ears.  For now, it's tooth brushes and dental picks.  I wish I was filthy rich, I'd quit my job and restore houses.  So far it's been fun!
PumpkinStalker wrote: Image
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

I wonder if mighty putty would work on that corabell? I want to see it used on a real project. Maybe you can give a testimonial one way or the other?

https://www.mightyputty.com/spark/index ... pedseag100
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Hmm...interesting.  I do actually have a broken tiled in soap dish/handle in my bathtub but I don't have the broken off handle.  If I did, I'd try this stuff to reattach it.  As it is, the KC Bungalow Club's meeting on 9/26 will have a guest speaker from the Handmade Tile Association of Minneapolis.  The email I received said they will show us how to restore tiles and we can bring in samples for them to look at.  I'm wondering if they will have any ideas if I bring in a picture.  Essentially it's one of those square porceline soap dish cubby/tub handle, and the handle is missing and showing bare white porceline. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Very ambitious work of you. I wouldn't have it in me...

When it's finished and the total showplace of the Waldo neighborhood, let me know and I'll come by and take some interior HDR photos for you.  :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I just discovered this thread and enjoyed reading it.  I am puzzled by one thing though.  The pictures of the garage teardown makes it look like you actually tore down your neighbor's garage.  What's with that layout?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Tosspot wrote: Very ambitious work of you. I wouldn't have it in me...

When it's finished and the total showplace of the Waldo neighborhood, let me know and I'll come by and take some interior HDR photos for you.  :)
That would be awesome Toss.  I was going to ask you if you didn't offer first!  ;-)
scooterj wrote: I just discovered this thread and enjoyed reading it.   I am puzzled by one thing though.   The pictures of the garage teardown makes it look like you actually tore down your neighbor's garage.   What's with that layout?
Well, it's funny you say that.  Every single workman I've had over to look at anything - chimney, electricians, plumbers, etc have all parked in my neighbors driveway.  When I had a dumpster delivered I was PARANOID that I would come home after work that day to find my dumpster dropped in the neighbors driveway.  I'm not sure why it's so confusing, since the garage trim was painted to match my house trim.  But apparently it's confusing to all!

So the first crisis.  With all the rain I noticed a little corner of damp plaster at the base of my fireplace.  I pulled out the trim board and found a big gaping whole of rotten goodness.

Had a guy come out and take a look and he advised to pull out the walls and expose the wet rotten area to let it dry out.  It's much bigger than I anticipated. As you can see, the lathe and plaster is pretty wet.  If anyone is making a movie that is film noir, and needs a good setting for a murder, I have the perfect setup.  Seriously, film noir movies always show a dumpy apartment that has cracked plaster walls showing the lathe.

Close up around mantle

You can even see the brick which is a facade on the outside.  I know I need to tuck point the brick outside, and I'm gearing up for that.  Been doing some reading up on tuck pointing, sounds like fun really, it's matching the hardness and color of the old mortar that is hard.  What I'm not sure about is having the brick exposed in my living room.  Sure, it feels "gritty and lofty" but it's also musty, wet, buggy, etc.  Sigh, what to do.....
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Might as rip all the walls out and add some insulation...
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

LindseyLohan wrote: Might as rip all the walls out and add some insulation...
That would be a hell of a job. And expensive. Contact a reputable insulation company. They can fill those walls with injected foam insulation. It will improve the comfort of your home and your wallet. Plus, it's a vapor barrier so it might help with SOME of the water problem.

Are you sure your gutters are clean? I would doubt that much water would come in through a mortar hole on a vertical surface. More likely a clogged gutter that was dumping water in at the top of the wall.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Upon further inspection I bet you have a gutter that terminates at the chimney. I bet it's clogged and I bet it fills up, spills over the end and runs right down the side of the chimney and into your living room.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

shinatoo wrote: That would be a hell of a job. And expensive.
Just a Sunday DIY project...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LindseyLohan wrote: Just a Sunday DIY project...
So you're saying you're free Sunday?!

I'll reply more in a bit with some extra info about the gutters and everything.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The gutters are clean as a whistle.  You're very close to the probable cause with your speculation about gutter next to the chimney terminating there and having water run down the chimney.  In a traditional "tudor cottage style" my chimney is right up in the middle of the front of my house.  The roof behind it slops very steeply to the back of the chimney.  I climbed up and wedged myself behind the chimney against the roof and the flashing is clean and shiney.  It's a 4 year old Timberline roof and appears to be properly flashed/caulked/guttered.  Two different roofline angles terminate into a sheetmetal triangle funnel which channels water into one downspout.  I stuck a garden hose in them and watched the pattern of water going down the flashing, into the funnel, and out the spout.  No leaks there.

What does seem to be a problem is in the vertical corner where my chimney meets the brick facade of my house.  The mortar is green with algae and is almost always damp because it faces north and is hidden from sunlight.  The mortar is in AWFUL condition there in that corner and needs some serious tuck pointing from ground up about 10 feet.  I really believe that in all the colander like holes, that when water pours down the outside wall of the chimney, it's soaking in those holes and saturating the wall and frame.  Today I might do some water tests with the garden hose, now that I have exposed the brick wall on the inside of my house.

In terms of insulation, I was wondering about a vapor barrier and if this just wasn't something they did in 1935.  Should I have this one corner insulated somehow with the injection you mentioned?  Is it pointless if I don't do the rest of the walls?  Should I just find and fix the water leak problem and then patch up the wall and leave it without a barrier?

Lastly, anyone have any references for fixing this type of problem?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If your going to insulate you should do the whole house. Looks like you have some work ahead of you, good luck.