Bice

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Bice

Post by DaveKCMO »

next time, try the "lounge" on the roof. the food is not good, but passable considering the view and the vibe. i think they have live jazz a few nights during the week (it's piped-in dance on weekends, or so it seems).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: next time, try the "lounge" on the roof. the food is not good, but passable considering the view and the vibe. i think they have live jazz a few nights during the week (it's piped-in dance on weekends, or so it seems).
this reminds me - the music at this place!  haha!  it was this really dramatic, cheesy, Italian Michael Bolton-esque 1991 pop music with hilarious saxophone solos.   
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow wrote: this reminds me - the music at this place!  haha!  it was this really dramatic, cheesy, Italian Michael Bolton-esque 1991 pop music with hilarious saxophone solos.   
inside? yeah, that seems about right. for as big a score as this place sounded for the district, i am severely disappointed. that being said, i'm sure it's a hit with a certain mature demographic.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: inside? yeah, that seems about right. for as big a score as this place sounded for the district, i am severely disappointed. that being said, i'm sure it's a hit with a certain mature demographic.
I think it's meant to be a tourist restaurant-- like most of the stuff around it-- a place for people that don't know of anywhere else to go.

The fact they just opened another Bice in Glendale, AZ should say a lot. KC location probably would've done better in somewhere in Leawood.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

random thought, but from what I've heard about Bice (I've not yet been), I would have much preferred to see North (from One Nineteen, in Leawood) go in here.  I suppose they're very similar, but at least I've heard some good things about the food at North, and the atmosphere there seems to have a very P&L-esque vibe.

For that matter, it would have been great to see all of the tenants in 119 head to P&L, but it was not to be.  I hope Cordish lines up some similar retail scores.
are we spinning free?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

had some friends come into town and wanted to do the P&L "thing" they had heard so much about so they wanted to eat there and then head out for drinks....went to Bice around 8:30 (I think?) and it was dead....maybe 3 other tables with people...I'm guessing the first cold weekend kinda slowed people down from going out? 

I didn't want to eat too much so got the Pasta Fagioli soup...ehh, nothing special, pretty bland.  Others had the house salad and liked it.  I then got a pizza which was a good size but I didn't read the menu closely and it came with anchovies...not a fan.  Other dishes were the mushroom ravioli which got rave reviews and I can't remember what the last dish was but that got good reviews too.

2nd visit and I still think this is a solid addition to the area....nothing spectacular but good.

Someone in my party was asking me how many restaurants were in the district and the waiter jumped in and said "too many".  I found that a little odd and frankly not very true.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Don't think the cold weather had much to do with it.  I was there the night of the Tina Turner concert and it was about 1/3 full.  For the price range I would much rather go Lydia's for better food and atmosphere.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

moderne wrote: Don't think the cold weather had much to do with it.  I was there the night of the Tina Turner concert and it was about 1/3 full.  For the price range I would much rather go Lydia's for better food and atmosphere.
Hour wait last night for the Eagles.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The Cafe just isn't good enough considering Cupini's is two blocks away. Cupini's blows it away on every metric, offers mostly the same products (and more) AND it is local. The service at Bice is a little awkward, the prices a little high and the food isn't special at all. I gave them two tries. I hereby vow to go only to Cupini's for my quick Italian.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

staubio wrote: The Cafe just isn't good enough considering Cupini's is two blocks away. Cupini's blows it away on every metric, offers mostly the same products (and more) AND it is local. The service at Bice is a little awkward, the prices a little high and the food isn't special at all. I gave them two tries. I hereby vow to go only to Cupini's for my quick Italian.
they lost me at gelato.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Went today and had the four cheese and chicken pizza. Nasty. And the waiter took about 15 minutes to run the credit card. Won't be back
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

I had only been here to drink up on the terrace before so yesterday I took my mother for lunch and we were one of 2 tables seated the whole time we were there.  She had the rigatoni with mushrooms, peas and tomato sauce and I had the fettucini alfredo.  Both were very good.

The staff must have been incredibly bored.  Our waiter couldn't stop coming over and talking to us so my food got cold.  I couldn't get more than a bite in before he was coming back for a chat.  He even brought the chef out to talk to us, which was nice, but really...I don't think we needed our very uncomplicated dishes explained to us.  But everyone was extremely nice and professional.  Maybe a little TOO much.  But I'll take extra attentiveness any day over slow service.
rmloft
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by rmloft »

Anyone else been to Bice recently?

Went Friday night and it was absolute crap! Service sucked, food awful and wine way overpriced. Will not be going there again - what is it with KC Italian restaurants - has anyone else been to Italy and eaten the real deal? No comparison - it's all stodge here.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

staubio wrote: The Cafe just isn't good enough considering Cupini's is two blocks away. Cupini's blows it away on every metric, offers mostly the same products (and more) AND it is local. The service at Bice is a little awkward, the prices a little high and the food isn't special at all. I gave them two tries. I hereby vow to go only to Cupini's for my quick Italian.
Agreed.  Cupini's is rather salty but doable.  The Bice counter/cafe food to me was blah blah blandorama.  Typical P&L reheated frozen food with virtually no personality, or even an attempt to have one.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the bice cafe now closes at 3 pm, btw.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I have heard nothing but horrible reviews from this place.  I really hate to say that, but everybody I talked to says it was a bad experience and I think that word might be getting out.

I hope they can save it.  But if not...

What do you guys thing of Cascones putting a location in there?  Peachtree/Casones/Bristol?  It could be the "local" corner.

I hear nothing but rave reviews from Bristol and Peachtree.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

The river mkt residents wouldn't like the move but I would welcome a Cascones. Not sure the family ties but I especially like the food at the one on 91st and Metcalf. If they kept the RM open and opened the P&L I am afraid even RM residents would go to the new one but I could be wrong.
Last edited by PumpkinStalker on Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have had nothing but good experiences the 3 times I have been there. Servi has been good...food is alright, at least what I have had.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: The river mkt residents wouldn't like the move but I would welcome a Cascones. Not sure the family ties but I especially like the food at the one on 91st and Metcalf. If they kept the RM open and opened the P&L I am afraid even RM residents would go to the new one but I could be wrong.
The river market location is more of an italian/american diner with a heavy focus on lunch and breakfast.  The one out on Metcalf is a more upsacale lunch/dinner establishment trying to match Garrozos.  The two don't have much of anything similar in terms of menu - The RM one is more 1930's style Italian american diner food were you can get things like fried chicken with a side of pasta or scrambled eggs with italian sausage.  I think they could easily operate both the RM diner and the more upscale restaurant in the loop with next to zero cannibalization.  You really don't go to the two of them for the same sort of outing.  If anything, putting a cascone's restaurant in the P&L would probably take business from Anthony's. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The river market location is more of an italian/american diner with a heavy focus on lunch and breakfast.  The one out on Metcalf is a more upsacale lunch/dinner establishment trying to match Garrozos.  The two don't have much of anything similar in terms of menu - The RM one is more 1930's style Italian american diner food were you can get things like fried chicken with a side of pasta or scrambled eggs with italian sausage.  I think they could easily operate both the RM diner and the more upscale restaurant in the loop with next to zero cannibalization.  You really don't go to the two of them for the same sort of outing.  If anything, putting a cascone's restaurant in the P&L would probably take business from Anthony's.   
True.  And for the record, I have never had a good meal at Anthony's....is it just me?  I've gotten ravioli and the sauce was watery and thin like they tried to extend it and make a batch last as long as possible.  Cool atmosphere/vibe, though.