Flying Saucer

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Flying Saucer

Post by PumpkinStalker »

By far, best place in P&L.  Prices are awesome, it's not pretentious and I feel right at home!  I completely dig the fact that it's off the beaten path so to speak.  My day started by arriving at 3:30 and camping out on the sidewalk before they let us in.  By the time it was 3:55, about 8-10 people were waiting.  As Psalm said, I'm card holder numero 13, then a certain high ranking forum official waltzes in over one hour later and gets a 7.  WTF?!  I had a Black Dog Ale, O'Fallon's Smoked Porter,  New Belgian 1554, Bells Two Hearted Ale, and a Young's Double Chocolate stout float (yes, with ice-cream).  Not bad really!  Yes, I was in there from 4:00 - 9:00. 

Tried the burger, which was pretty good, and since I was there so long I got hungry a second time and downed a cheese fries complete with bacon and ranch dressing.  Saw quite a few forumers, including a certain very elusive one!  Muah ha ha ha!

All in all, kick ass place and I will be back often.  And for those who were slow like me, Knurd is drunk backwards.  Yes, I had to ask a bartender why.  Shut up.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: a Young's Double Chocolate stout float (yes, with ice-cream). 
Holy shit that shounds good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

place was cool.  the clientele was questionable though :)

is there now a forum rce to be the first saucer up?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KCPowercat wrote: place was cool.  the clientele was questionable though :)

is there now a forum rce to be the first saucer up?
MightyKC challenged me, however it's more of a question of who has the disposable income.  I sure as hell don't, so I'll be going at my own pace - although I might be able to re-arrange my priorities.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

my friends said I would never do it....so I have to do it to protect my good name.

bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Move over, Chefburger, because I have a new favorite P&L business. It was I that drew lucky UFO number 7, and I that pushed the consumption of Bell's Two Hearted Ale among my peers. I figured that the opening of a place like this would bring out a great number of people that I know, and I was right. Coming and going, I saw no fewer than fifteen acquaintances while I was there.

I met Ajod and his sister for the first time, hung out with pumpkinstalker for the majority, but also talked a bit with scooterj. I sat witrh staubio, dangerboy, kard, and voltopt for a while, and was even joined by chrizow and his lady-friend for a while. It was an excellent Monday night.

Also, it was finally proven to me that KCP is not an internet robot. He seemed crushed by the vanished mystique.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

bahua wrote: Also, it was finally proven to me that KCP is not an internet robot. He seemed crushed by the vanished mystique.
OUSTED!

Agree, Chefburger has some competition for me.  Although I spend a great deal of time at Gordon Biersch, but mainly because I dig sitting outside, whilst looking inside and being able to watch Royals games.  And I love the blackened mahi fish wrap.

With free wi-fi and open garage doors, I imagine I'll be chilling in booths against the windows quite often. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Foreground:  Bahua and Pumpkinstalker.

They tell me that the dude with the white hair in the middle is the owner of the entire chain.

I had forgotten about the UFO Club until I was already into a beer, so I'll join that next time I'm there.  Sucks though that I'll probably wind up with a 3 or 4 digit ID number though while you all get 1 to 2 digit IDs.  :)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

PumpkinStalker wrote: With free wi-fi and open garage doors, I imagine I'll be chilling in booths against the windows quite often. 
Is it free? Has anyone checked? It says "wifi available" on the faux chalkboard. To me that means "wifi available to people that pay for it."
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

cool to finally see a few of you....I knew as soon as I heard my name as I walked out the door that I had been ousted...not that I cared, it was cool to finally meet B.  sorry I didn't sop by the table and talk with everybody else, I was being pulled out the door.

Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

bahua wrote: Is it free? Has anyone checked? It says "wifi available" on the faux chalkboard. To me that means "wifi available to people that pay for it."
bahua, are you the guy i talked to about paso robles and whatnot?  if so, it was nice to meet you and pumpkinstalker.  i had a good time.  which i lived closer...  and, i'm pretty sure i saw on the flyingsaucer website that the wifi is indeed free.     

also, i really liked gordon biersch.    i need to chefburger it sometime soon.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Yeah, that was me. Nice to meet you too. I think I'll be at the Flying Saucer pretty often.
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

I spotted a place to sell used golf clubs over Jason's deli on my way home, I've got about 20 clubs to sell and may just have to make it back down today.        I thought pumpkinstalker was just another guy like me obsessed with texting on his cell phone.  Then, I get home and realized he was posting on here.      Crazy crazy.   
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I kind of like the anonymity of this board, but it would be cool to have t-shirts (nothing that says 'kcrag') that you would see people wearing around town and wonder who they were.  But, at the least it would be good to have a Flying Saucer site get together to meet people.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

You gotta love a forum full of beer drinkers. Maybe someday I'll forego the kids and their relentless activities and wander in to this place wondering who everyone is!

:cheers:
the only thing for sure is change.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Psalm B H wrote: I spotted a place to sell used golf clubs over Jason's deli on my way home, I've got about 20 clubs to sell and may just have to make it back down today.        I thought pumpkinstalker was just another guy like me obsessed with texting on his cell phone.   Then, I get home and realized he was posting on here.      Crazy crazy.   
I'm obsessed.  To to the point my girlfriend takes it away and tells me she's saving our future marriage.  :lol:

I'll be there again today after work, are they open with lunch hours or do I have to wait until 4:00?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I'm obsessed.  To to the point my girlfriend takes it away and tells me she's saving our future marriage.   :lol:

I'll be there again today after work, are they open with lunch hours or do I have to wait until 4:00?
Does Hallmark have a liberal liquid lunch policy?  :lol:  I guess maybe a few pints help get the creative juices flowing. 
Psalm B H
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Psalm B H »

open everyday at 11 and stays open till 1 a.m., except for weekends.  closes at 2 (according to the website) on the weekends, but, didn't the bubbly, bouncy, blonde, bartendress say 3 a.m.?    open at noon on sundays.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Does Hallmark have a liberal liquid lunch policy?   :lol:  I guess maybe a few pints help get the creative juices flowing. 
Not sure!  I have flex hours so I generally try to get here at 6 or 7 and leave by 2 or 3.  I would hate to have to wait until 4 to go have my next round!!!

True, the bubbly one said they would stay open later than 1 on weeknights if there was demand.  I asked what happens if it's just me, sitting alone at the bar, will they keep the place open if I keep drinking.  She told me I might have a problem.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Gotta love impromptu forum meet-ups.

I really like the place. I'm more interested in a place I can stop in for 2-3 beers on the way home from work than somewhere I can pound 10 on a Saturday and this is it. The Monday pint special will bring great joy to my life. We had a great server. When she wasn't familiar with a beer we were talking about, she brought a pint for bahua and a taster for herself so they could discuss it. They are serious about knowing their beer. She let us know that they have been tasting and discussing the different styles all week to prepare for opening. Sounds like a rough job.

For the record, I'm knurd #82.

Also cool was that every bike rack on 13th and on Walnut was jammed with bikes, all of which belonged to people headed into FS. It's that kind of place.