Wilco at Crossroads - 10/13

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Moniker
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Wilco at Crossroads - 10/13

Post by Moniker »

Wilco was great. My friend's studio/practice space was a block away. We barbequed in the ally and listened to the show for free, suckers. :p
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Pete Yorn, Travis
nood
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by nood »

NorthLeawood4 wrote: IRON & WINE
yes, please!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KC-wildcat wrote: ... Travis
travis would be nice. i saw them in lawrence a few years ago. excellent live show.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

elextendo wrote: I must admit... was a great show and a great crowd..thanks for a great season.. were starting to book for next season now..so if you want a certain artist(s) get your say in now..Cake?Buddy Guy?Southern Culture?Hanna Montana?
The Flaming Lips, please. And Super Furry Animals...and Deerhoof!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Actually, it sounds like your feelings are hurt since you're kind of being a douche for no reason. 

Anyway, the point is I sometimes "miss" the old "live" lineup which was a more raw and rocking lineup than today's lineup.  I still like today's Wilco, which is why I went to the show and enjoyed it.
The overall point of my douchiness is exactly what you presented in your post. There are SO many people who complain about Wilco not being "alt country" or "stripped down" anymore. But they were never really an alt country band or that stripped down. Jay Bennett over produced every album he had anything to do with (including the mermaid ave. sessions). This leaves exactly ONE Wilco album that had this feel. They aren't Uncle Tupelo and never will be.

Sorry if I jumped your shit - just a pet peeve.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Friend of mine was on the catering crew, dislikes the music but charmed by the band.  The Green Room is Mott-ly's old studio apt- rest his soul.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Rilo Kiley, Metric, The Mooney Suzuki, The Mars Volta, Kings of Leon, The Roots
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
NorthLeawood4
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NorthLeawood4 »

Iron & Wine, Common, the Roots, Guster, and Postal Service
TagoMago
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TagoMago »

Bands I would LOVE to see at Grinders: Wolf Parade, Black Keys, Flaming Lips (one of the greatest shows I have ever experienced) Stereolab, Stephen Malkmus, Tortoise, Sea and Cake, Sonic Youth, God Speed You Black Emperor!, Of Montreal,  (tons more but these are the ones that come to mind, could be touring and would work well in a venue like Grinders.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

The Hold Steady
Glossary
Kings of Leon
Boo Radley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Boo Radley »

I'll agree with pretty much everyone on this board and say that the Wilco show was great.  I love the outdoor setting behind Grinders.  I posted a review with some video and a link to download audio from the whole show on my site if anyone is interested.

http://www.bradicalmindspew.com/2007/10 ... rossroads/

Also, does anyone know who that guy was that came out before and after Wilco and spoke to the crowd?  Does he own Grinders?  Is he in charge of booking the bands?  The guy should be banned from ever being able to get on stage to talk again.  He embarrassed himself, and I'm surprised the crowd didn't boo him.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I met the drummer of Travis one night while wheat-pasting concert posters in New York City. We were both doing it and started talking. They were a little-known band at the time and performing at the Continental Club on St. Mark's Place.  He gave me an early sampler tape.
There is no fifth destination.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Also, does anyone know who that guy was that came out before and after Wilco and spoke to the crowd?  Does he own Grinders?  Is he in charge of booking the bands?  The guy should be banned from ever being able to get on stage to talk again.  He embarrassed himself, and I'm surprised the crowd didn't boo him.
[/quote]

Yes,I am one of the owners..No, I dont book the bands,No Im not banned, although some may wish this..I dont think I embarresed myself..And please feel free to BOO..Thanks for coming it was a great show..Hope to see you next season....
P&L Free since 2008
catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

sorry, I couldn't stop myself.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Andrew Bird opened!?

I can't believe I had to miss this show.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

He was so, so good, too.  I'm not a huge Wilco fan (we got free tickets through my brother's connections), and I liked his set more.
Boo Radley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Boo Radley »

Sorry elextendo.  I love what you've done with the place both from a music standpoint as well as from a food/atmosphere standpoint.  I love seeing anything that advances the culture in KC's core area.  That being said, having people stay around to cheer for Wilco to come back on stage when it was obvious they were done (and while the equipment was even being broken down) was a tad cruel.  I could tell the show was over but others were grumbling about it on the way out. 

Looking forward to stopping by more often to Grinders and can't wait to see the lineup for next year.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Ahh the dreaded lack of another set..Boy ,I did feel like a idiot..I went out there to thank everyone..do my deal..the crowd responded.. then I talked and they got loud again..I looked back and saw a guy on the drum riser, and another by the keyboard..I assumed they did come back..so I walked off stage..I felt very awkward at that moment...SO I also kinda felt like I got kicked in the groin..I would say that was the only let down of the stressful day and the show for me..Thanks for supporting, I have sent links to pipeline on all the bands people wish to see for next season..
P&L Free since 2008
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

elextendo wrote: Thanks for supporting, I have sent links to pipeline on all the bands people wish to see for next season..
thank you, thank you, thank you! KC should be getting as many cool bands as friggin' omaha!