It's Lee's Summit's turn I guess. Legoland, aquarium etc...

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: It's Lee's Summit's turn I guess. Legoland, aquarium etc...

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: Everything is not going to be urban and walkable.
e.g. Florida and SoCal...talk about ped-friendly.  :shock:

I do agree with the concept that KC would be more attractive if Village West, Schlitterbahn, WoF, Legoland and all future destination attractions were in the same "zone." However, WyCo or KCMO or someone else would've had to buy a gigantic tract of land and plan all these attractions at once. What WyCo is doing right now is the closest thing to having a suburban tourist area and it looks like they're going to get competition in that arena from Lee's Summit, East Jack, and possibly OP and Olathe. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Developers officially file for TIF

Public money would provide $183 million, a third of the anticipated $554 million cost of a Legoland theme park and supporting development in Lee's Summit, according to the developer's financing application.

RED Development LLC's Friday filing forecast that most of the public money would come from tax increment financing. The 23-year plan would divert $69 million of property taxes and $50 million of sales and other economic activity taxes. The project also would capture $44 million of state taxes. The remaining $20 million would come from a community improvement district that would collect a new tax on district property.

The largest beneficiary would be a shopping center next to Legoland that would receive $75 million. The theme park, a Lego-themed hotel and a Sea Life Sanctuary aquarium would get $63 million. Other recipients:

* RED's Summit Fair shopping center under construction next to Legoland -- $17 million.
    * A proposed office development -- $16 million.
    * Retail space in Legoland -- $12 million.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCMax wrote: Developers officially file for TIF

Public money would provide $183 million, a third of the anticipated $554 million cost of a Legoland theme park and supporting development in Lee's Summit, according to the developer's financing application.

RED Development LLC's Friday filing forecast that most of the public money would come from tax increment financing. The 23-year plan would divert $69 million of property taxes and $50 million of sales and other economic activity taxes. The project also would capture $44 million of state taxes. The remaining $20 million would come from a community improvement district that would collect a new tax on district property.

The largest beneficiary would be a shopping center next to Legoland that would receive $75 million. The theme park, a Lego-themed hotel and a Sea Life Sanctuary aquarium would get $63 million. Other recipients:

* RED's Summit Fair shopping center under construction next to Legoland -- $17 million.
    * A proposed office development -- $16 million.
    * Retail space in Legoland -- $12 million.
I would love to have Legoland come to KC regardless of where it ends up locating.  I do not, however, support TIFS for Red Development to create yet another suburban entertainment or shopping center.  As far as I am concerned, TIFS should be used to lure jobs to the area or support an attraction such as Legoland that would bring visitors to the area.  TIFS should NEVER  be used for suburban shopping centers in well-to-do areas that create poorly paid service industry jobs and commonly are a source of money leaving the community.  Not only that, the TIF money would go towards creating an entertainment center that will be in direct competition with a TIF project in which we all have a much greater vested interest (P&L District).  At times, I think that Legoland is bait or subterfuge in this whole thing, with the real issue for the developers being the entertainment/shopping center.  Give the TIF to Legoland, let the shopping center stand on its own two feet. 
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

here's a link to the official legoland missouri site.

http://www.legolandmissouri.com/default.asp
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

And how, pray tell, does GRID feel about the name being Legoland Missouri rather than Legoland Kansas City? Surely such a high-profile project should be used to bring attention to the metro as a whole rather than one side of the state line?
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Is it just me, or does the proposed Legoland site plan suggests that MDot have plans to incorporate widened lanes and flyover ramps to I-470 and US 50?
"Let's get it!"
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

There are some plans in existance to improve that intersection.  What they are I do not know.  But one change is a new exit west of the shopping center between it and the houses.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

4 rollercoasters huh?..... i like it.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Here is some info on 50 Highway with MODOT.

http://www.modot.org/kansascity/U.S.50CorridorStudy.htm
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

eliphar17 wrote: And how, pray tell, does GRID feel about the name being Legoland Missouri rather than Legoland Kansas City? Surely such a high-profile project should be used to bring attention to the metro as a whole rather than one side of the state line?
If it's on the Missouri side that's OK-- KS side just can't do that.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Legoland Missouri is a stupid name. Just like Kansas Speedway.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

eliphar17 wrote: And how, pray tell, does GRID feel about the name being Legoland Missouri rather than Legoland Kansas City? Surely such a high-profile project should be used to bring attention to the metro as a whole rather than one side of the state line?
Not sure why they would call it Missouri rather than Kansas City.  Maybe they thought about it or did some research and found out that people simply have no desire to visit "kansas" regardless of what they put there, while Missouri with its cities, branson, lakes and other attractions that make it a top midwestern vacation state made more sense!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You started it.

Seriously.  It's dumb, but we owe you one since Kansas Speedway. ;)

Let's see this thing begin construction before freaking out.  This is one project I will have a hard time believing till it's open.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

ddw334umkc wrote: Is it just me, or does the proposed Legoland site plan suggests that MDot have plans to incorporate widened lanes and flyover ramps to I-470 and US 50?
That was all planned before legoland.  The Prior Road interchange begins construction next year and the rest should be built within 5 years of that.  Legoland would certainly accelerate the timeline for it though.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Great idea!  Let's put a children's theme park next to an industrial plant with some of the worlds most hazardous materials.  &&& There is stuff in the Summit Technology park that one drop of it in the open would kill people for miles!  This stuff is nasty. 
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

QUICK! someone say something else negative about legoland.  I'm starting to like the idea of KC doing something to bring people here!
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

I think it's a great idea.  Let the kids learn about Legos and toxic chemicals.  :lol:
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

KCTigerFan wrote: I think it's a great idea.  Let the kids learn about Legos and toxic chemicals.  :lol:
whew, thanks man, i was worried there for a sec.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TIF panel recommends Legoland for Lee’s Summit

The recommendation came on a 6-4 vote, and the council is expected to take up the issue with public hearings in May.

Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

As interesting as this prospect of a Legoland in Lee's Summit may seem, it looks as if it may be overshadowed pretty quickly.  Twice in about the last week I've seen mention on the news of some goings on between Disney and Branson.  Apparently they are wanting to purchase a thousand acres and I can't remember what all else they said.  Something about financial aid or tax credits for hotels and blah, blah, blah.  I can't seem to find anything about it in writing anywhere or I'd paste it for ya.  It sounds like the midwest is getting it's own Disneyworld/land.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Thrillcekr wrote: As interesting as this prospect of a Legoland in Lee's Summit may seem, it looks as if it may be overshadowed pretty quickly.  Twice in about the last week I've seen mention on the news of some goings on between Disney and Branson.  Apparently they are wanting to purchase a thousand acres and I can't remember what all else they said.  Something about financial aid or tax credits for hotels and blah, blah, blah.  I can't seem to find anything about it in writing anywhere or I'd paste it for ya.  It sounds like the midwest is getting it's own Disneyworld/land.
Disney to Ozarks?
http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php/topic,11844.0.html
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator