Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Re: Wizards Stadium at Bannister Mall

Post by Maitre D »

kcmetro wrote: That's along the lines of what I was going to post. We should just leave that area alone because there's no reason to put a soccer stadium in the middle of the "ghetto". Who goes to Wizards games? Rich white folks from JOCO, not Deandre and Lonzell from Raytown. So there's no need to push that crap on an area that isn't going to support it. North KC, fine, Joco, fine, VW, fine, but Bannister Mall??? You think developers would be jumping at the opportunity to invest in that? Nope.
I don't know if soccer fans from JoCo are "rich" - I'd bet they're mostly family oriented, and middle/upper-middle class people.  But yeah, do agree that this location is pathetic and a turnoff for the JoCo people who make up a huge, huge chunk of Wiz attendance.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I don't know if soccer fans from JoCo are "rich" - I'd bet they're mostly family oriented, and middle/upper-middle class people.  But yeah, do agree that this location is pathetic and a turnoff for the JoCo people who make up a huge, huge chunk of Wiz attendance.
The Wizards are being bullies again!  They're saying they're going to build their stadium in a ghetto as a way to strong-arm a stadium out of the county!  Nooo!!!  &&&
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

A great number of the attendees at soccer games are not wealthy suburbanites, but rather urban, slightly impoverished hispanic people.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

bahua wrote: A great number of the attendees at soccer games are not wealthy suburbanites, but rather urban, slightly impoverished hispanic people.
I disagree.  I"ve been to these games, and the mythical "Hispanic Soccer Fan" never appears.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I disagree.  I"ve been to these games, and the mythical "Hispanic Soccer Fan" never appears.
I disagree.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: I disagree.  I"ve been to these games, and the mythical "Hispanic Soccer Fan" never appears.
Perhaps you should open your eyes and ears next time. Arrowhead was silly with the Spanish-speakers the last time I was there. I thought it was quite humorous, because the clean-cut suburbanites looked very uncomfortable.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

bahua wrote: Perhaps you should open your eyes and ears next time.
Yeah.  That must be it.

(Idiot)

Watch it man. I jokingly disagreed with you, and meant absolutely no offense. Don't call me or anyone an idiot. -b
Last edited by bahua on Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Unbelievable.  So the Hickman Mills area is the ghetto?  I guess if we shouldn't redevelop that area then we should probably just leave midtown and downtown the same.  Screw it, there are black folks living in those areas and poor people.  It's not worth saving downtown... Johnson County residents are scared to go there.  Look at what happened with the ghetto of Wyandotte county.  Thy built the Legends and no rich white folks ever go there.  The place is a ghost town.  :?
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

KCTigerFan wrote: Unbelievable.   Look at what happened with the ghetto of Wyandotte county.  Thy built the Legends and no rich white folks ever go there.  The place is a ghost town.   :?
Uhhhh...... The legends was built in the middle of a field.. #-o There was never anything ghetto about it.. That is the dumbest comparison I have ever heard. Yeah, the Hickman Mills area is ghetto. Why do you think Bannister Mall failed?? Nobody wanted to go out there because it was dangerous. How many other malls in the metro had security stations set up all over the parking lot? It has nothing to do with black and white. It has to do with the people that frequent and live in that area. Downtown was never a ghetto... What are you talking about?
Dream as if you will live forever... Live as if you were to die today..
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Apparently some people have very broad definitions of the word ghetto.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

briantsmith25 wrote:Nobody wanted to go out there because it was dangerous.
Well, there was at least a perception that it was dangerous. Was it really more dangerous than any other mall? I'm not sure about that. There were a couple isolated incidents, but then people get robbed and cars get stolen on the Plaza and in suburban Wal-Mart parking lots. Ultimately I don't think it was relatively more dangerous, just way oversensationalized. Hard to say why.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Hard to say why.
Not really.  I think its pretty obvious.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I doubt the media has a vested interest in making any particular area look scary.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I don't.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

Bannister is a Shitty area. The crime proves it. The media reports the crime. It does happen in suburbs but it happens a lot more out there. The track record speaks for itself.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Your understanding of sociology is truly astounding.
briantsmith25
New York Life
New York Life

Post by briantsmith25 »

Thank you :D
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

bannister is the like worst area in that area

The name alone is f'n retarded...bannister....when I was a kid..before I even knew what it was...I like pleaded with my parents to goto metro north...not bannister...and it sure as hell wasn't to go watch the hot air ballons at metro north...if you catch my drift..
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chingon wrote: I don't.
So what's the motivation for making Bannister specifically appear bad? Wouldn't ratings be better served by whipping people into a frenzy about the Mustang that got stolen from 91st and Metcalf?
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Well, the Legends may have been built in a field, but damn WYCO is filled with drugs and guns and murderers.  The whole county reeks of crime.  I saw it on Fox 4.  Every 4th person who visits Wyandotte County gets shot, it's "fact."

Seriously folks, if you think what the news reports is even remotely a realistic assessment of the level of crime anywhere you need a reality check.  The stations report on what sells.  That is why they spend an inordinate amount of time on weather.  They also will always cover any crime that is particularly scary and will incite fear in the largest number of people.  "You too could be robbed and beaten while pumping gas.  Find out more at 11."

I reality the Bannister Mall area is not that dangerous in comparison to Westport, Midtown, and even swaths of downtown and the Crossroads.  Look at the crime reports on KCPD.org.  Granted crime is higher in KCMO than any of us would like, but the fear of crime is much more present than actual occurances.  

Now, back to the topic.  Should the Wizards Stadium be built on the site of Bannister Mall?  I think it is worth exploring.  Why should we spend millions to build roads an infrastructure to an area that doesn't already have it when we can actually have some adaptive reuse.  Some of the buildings could be saved if necessary and lets not forget how accessible the area is for all those soccer families to drive in and drive right back out to their "ultra safe" suburban enclaves.

I would also venture a guess that the crime around the Truman Sports Complex is as high as the immediate Bannister Mall area.