KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote:The problem is that the white lines are so narrow. It's really almost impossible for some cars to fit in the space. I've seen people with their wheels on the curb and still over the line. It's not going to work. If they couldn't make spaces that are how people normally park, they shouldn't have had them at all. That said, the Mercedes clearly shouldn't make parallel parked cause they clearly didn't know what they were doing.
Seems silly that just because an SUV won't fit, that the space shouldn't be available for a compact car. Not that I'm opposed to using the spaces for better options.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there is some discussion about using some of the narrower spaces for bike parking... something which is definitely lacking.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

"Seems silly that just because an SUV won't fit, that the space shouldn't be available for a compact car."

I have been in parking garages with some spaces marked "for compact cars only" and big SUVs and pickups are parked in those small spaces.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

DaveKCMO wrote:there is some discussion about using some of the narrower spaces for bike parking... something which is definitely lacking.
I hate it when I ride my bike somewhere and have to park a block away just to find a proper bike rack. Or worse, I end up having to lock my bike to a light pole or fence. That really sucks.

Are there handicap parking stickers for bikes? I think we need these, for the people that make bike parking regulations. They are mentally handicapped.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Downtown business owner wants parking in front of building and now on kctv5 complaining about the city doing the best to honor his request. Wonderful.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I drive a full size pickup. When the wife and I go downtown we drive her compact. When I'm downtown, which is often, in several cities, I expect to park a ways from my destination. The only reason I know that is because I'm downtown so often. The other suburban rubes that go downtown once a year will never get it.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCTV5 also tells me that hair weaves can be satanic.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

So I watched the KCTV 5 video http://www.kctv5.com/story/31369052/par ... -ordinance

Obviously, if you can't fit a Mini Cooper, Prius or even a Smart then there is a real issue. I assume there is some plan by the city to address this and we need to be patient.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:The other suburban rubes that go downtown once a year will never get it.
One time I was walking along Main at around 16th St. Someone in a car asked me where 18th St was. If numbered streets are hard we need to do more in general.

This kind of confusion is precisely why parking wayfinding is a good idea. It doesn't have to be complex or everywhere. Pick the major public garages and put signs at the major entrances to downtown. "Kauffman Center parking south to 18th" or "Bartle Hall parking north to 14th" or "Sprint Center parking south to 13th" would make a big difference

Similarily, there's nothing wrong with pointing people to city lots as "streetcar parking." I would hope this is done at Pershing with the Union Station garage.

Work with business owners with lots to put better signs up pointing to their lots. If they own one it might as well be used. At one job downtown we directed people the garage we used because we validated guests parking. They didn't have to park on street and people liked that. Universally having sign at the entrance that said "Business name parking" could help with that kind of thing.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The problem is people don't think they should have to walk even a half a block from a parking spot.

Then again it might be more the mentality that they want a visual connection between where they park and the business they are visiting. That's what the suburbs have trained us to do.

Sorry for getting off topic.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

shinatoo wrote:The problem is people don't think they should have to walk even a half a block from a parking spot.

Then again it might be more the mentality that they want a visual connection between where they park and the business they are visiting. That's what the suburbs have trained us to do.

Sorry for getting off topic.
This is true. Even in parking lots for grocery stores and similar businesses with plenty of parking, you will see people driving up and down all the aisles looking for a space closer to the front door. In the time they spent doing that, they could have parked further away and been in the store already. I've seen people block the aisle for everyone else, sitting waiting for someone to leave, and that individual already parked might be sitting in the car with no intention of leaving right away, but waiting for someone in the store. This, while there is another space empty two or three cars down.

I once saw a lady park in a compact space in a garage with her big SUV, and once she was parked, she couldn't get out of her vehicle because the door wouldn't open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If they answer this by narrowing the sidewalks, I'm rioting.
mykn

Post by mykn »

As if the sidewalks downtown weren't narrow and obstacle ridden enough.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote:If they answer this by narrowing the sidewalks, I'm rioting.
Better answer is to just eliminate the parking and expand the sidewalks. Or paint sharrows in what is now the parking lane and call it good.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

you all could do us a favor by not demonizing the businesses that rely on the parking. after that, convince them by showing up on foot/bike (and letting them know that).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

pash wrote:
shinatoo wrote:So I watched the KCTV 5 video http://www.kctv5.com/story/31369052/par ... -ordinance ...
Somebody tell these jackasses that if your truck doesn't fit in the spot, you park it somewhere else. Parking on the sidewalk is also illegal and will also earn you a ticket.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if the city "solves" this by ignoring oversized vehicles with one tire on the curb. If it didn't cost money, I'd half expect them to narrow the sidewalks to put in wider parking spaces. ...
Why is the SUV the problem if you can't even park a MiniCopper or a Fiat without violating the sidewalk or the white line? If you cant get sub compact in the spot, it's not a parking spot and should not be indicated as such. Widen it, mark it as Bike/Motorcycle parking, or eliminate it.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I like it. The streetcar would have had a much more difficult time passing if it was taking away a significant amount of parking. So, design it so it's not big enough to fit cars. Then, no one can complain when it turns into bike parking and pedestrian space. Genius.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

So, there is a silver lining in all this.

There's going to be a local memory of why you don't do curb running and parking when it comes to expansion. it's going to shoot down a lot of arguing if the options people are discussing don't include parking along the corridor

at that point as 3-wide each way you can do
shared train + car + bike lane
or
dedicated train + 2 car
or
dedicated train + car + bike lane
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.